Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2017 at 1:48 PM
Default Editing gameplaydata.package file directly
What are the consequences of doing so?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 30th May 2017 at 2:07 PM
I hope you are planning to keep a copy of it in case you mess something up?

As I understand it, that would mean that you are making a core mod.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 30th May 2017 at 8:09 PM
If you mean like tweaking a XML file or ITUN file just for the sake of tuning things, you could try returner instead: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Retuner

it has an option for tweaking in-game xml files without actually having to edit them in notepad or something like that.

if you do want to go with just editing them within the gameplaydata.package, then you're fine! I'd indeed make a copy though like Ghost djos mentioned, in case you accidentally deleted an important thing from the file itself.

Moving this to modding discussion!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 7:17 AM
I was planning on keeping a backup copy, just in case, as well as a .txt file with a list of the changes I made.
I do use Retuner, but only for save-specific changes (like having my fairy-only town stop using primarily fairy-only interactions).

Would having several dozen XML or ITUN changes affect the performance of the game, either placed in the Mods folder or edited directly in the gameplaydata file?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 4:14 PM
Not the performance (of course it depends, like say... you're editing a XML/ITUN file that originally let you spawn 2 townies and you change it to something crazy, like 100 townies, then... yeah there will be performance issues.)
The folder question, hmm we all know the more mods the slower the game will run, so I'd say if you could save them in there, I'd give it a try just for the sake of avoiding lack in your game. Although it's not a recommended thing to do ^- ~