Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 10:12 PM Last edited by NeWx : 30th Nov 2017 at 7:13 PM.
Default Socially Awkward trait glitch
Hi, I've been trying to get rid of this glitch for the past two days. Whenever there is an awkward response from a kid talking to a person with the 'socially awkward' trait, that kid will stretch up like an adult; as if using an adult animation, scratching its heads.

At first I thought it had something to do with mods, but after a clean reinstall, completely removing all previous files, including cache files, downloads, actually the full folders in documents and in steam, it still occurs.

It is very easy to reproduce, all you have to do is to have a character with the 'socially awkward' trait, have him/her converse with a child using the 'chat' or 'get to know' function. Do this over and over again until you get an awkward response, and the child should grow. You might get the boring response if you get positive responses for to long, this is not the same thing and it works, if it happens you might want to restart the game from a save.

So what I have done is trying to figure out what animation it is that is being used, before I started doing this I had no knowledge of modding the sims, still really don't, but I've learned that the CLIP files inside the Package files are the actual animations. I believed that I could perhaps replace the faulty animation with a better working one, like the boring response, anything would do as long as they didn't stretch, so with the help of an in-game animation mod I traced it down to two separate animations called 'a_react_awkward_x' and 'c_react_awkward_x'. Problem was, both of them displayed accurately when I played them in-game with the mod, nothing stretched. I even deleted the two animations from the FullBuild0 package file. The animation mod didn't display them anymore. But repeating the steps above to reproduce the glitch did, and that one stretched as usual. I was at a lose, there has to be some other animation that is being played instead, one that looks like 'a_react_awkward_x' and 'c_react_awkward_x' but is faulty. I removed all the animations starting with 'a_react..' and 'c_react..', it still happened. At this point I figured that the faulty animation has to be located in a DLC, likely the university DLC as that is the one that came with the 'socially awkward' trait. However the only react animation in FullBuild_p18 which is the package file for university is a goodbye wave reaction.

This glitch really bugs me because I want to play with a character using the 'socially awkward' trait, but getting this glitch on almost every awkward response would get truly annoying. I would really appreciate any help in this, I can't be the only one getting this glitch, that would be really weird.

UPDATE: I found the animation that is used, it is 'a2a_soc_neutral_shareinterests_awkward_neutral_y' in the DeltaBuild0 package. I replaced it with 'c_react_awkward_x' from FullBuild0, it worked, children wouldn't stretch anymore while getting an awkward response, however it made adults shrink instead. Replacing it with the 'a_react_awkward_x' just returned it to what it was before. I'm guessing that 'c' stands for children and 'a' for adults, if so than it seems as if the game only has one type of outcome for this reaction when it really should have two. I should mention that I'm using the steam version, I learned that the origin version is newer, perhaps it fixes this issue, I don't know. Now I'm wondering if I have to dig through XML files to find the settings for the trait itself, however I don't really know how to code..

UPDATE2: Searched through all the xml's in FullBuild_p18 (University package) with notepad++, zero results for 'a2a_soc_neutral_shareinterests_awkward_neutral_y' 'trait' or just 'awkward'. I've hit a wall.

Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 10:32 PM
I took a look in GameplayData and "a_react_awkward_x" is referenced in the Idles XML, in this section:
Code:
<Reactions>
<ReactionType>Awkward</ReactionType>
<AnimationName>a_react_awkward_x</AnimationName>
<AgesSpeciesAllowed>C,T,Y,A,E</AgesSpeciesAllowed>
<IsAllowedWhileHoldingDrink>True</IsAllowedWhileHoldingDrink>
<Positive>False</Positive>
</Reactions>

Which might also be an error, as it assigns the animation to kids. And in another section:
Code:
<MoodIdle>
  <MoodFlavor>Uncomfortable</MoodFlavor>
  <AnimationName>a_react_awkward_x</AnimationName>
  <SittingAnimationName>a_react_awkward_sitting_x</SittingAnimationName>
  <AgesSpeciesAllowed>C,T,Y,A,E</AgesSpeciesAllowed>
  <IsAllowedWhileHoldingDrink>True</IsAllowedWhileHoldingDrink>
  <HasAudio>True</HasAudio>
 </MoodIdle>

Could the first one be of some help? I looked through the assemblies as well (there's a helpful guide here) but couldn't find any reference to this animation, though that's most probably because I didn't search properly.

You could try removing the C age in the first group and making a separate group for it.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 12:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this. Although this is quite overwhelming for me, I've never really done any scripting before, except changing a few lines in some files. I tried to set up visual studio, but I think I lack experience here, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I got to the part in where I had to add the DDL files as references, but I couldn't find a 'browse' button in this section. Perhaps it had something to do with a previous step, as I don't think I did them all correctly.

But this code here is very interesting, you might just be right about it, it is odd that C is included in that animation. But I'm unsure it has to do with this particular issue. I'm thinking that there is perhaps another moodflavor or reactiontype that is unique for the trait, one that uses 'a2a_soc_neutral_shareinterests_awkward_neutral_y', although you couldn't find it?. I wonder if there is another reactiontype like 'awkward2' or something, using the 'c_react_awkward_x' that is specifically for children; that the game decides which animation to pick based on age first and goes to the name second. Perhaps then '..awkward_neutral_y' lacks this and only has a section for adults. But that wouldn't make much sense, because it is still being played when used by children. Perhaps the game do only uses one section for all ages as the code seem to indicate, and is somehow smart to know that if the reaction is played from a kid, then it would switch the 'a_' to a 'c_' if it exists. I'm just guessing blindly here, but if that is so, it would explain why they stretch when they are using the '..awkward_neutral_y' animation, as there is only an adult version of it. But this also falls apart I believe, because I tried this by adding 'c_react_awkward_x' into the package changing its name to 'c2a_soc_neutral_shareinterests_awkward_neutral_y', with the c2a at the start instead of a2a. It didn't work, but perhaps I did it the wrong way, I don't really know.

Edit: no wait, if I understand it right, if the right reactiontype could be found, the one used for 'c2a_soc_neutral_shareinterests_awkward_neutral_y', then could simply the C be removed, and a separate section be created with the same reactiontype, but this time only including C, and the animation be switch to 'c_react_awkward_x'. Could it really be that simple?
Alchemist
#4 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NeWx
I tried to set up visual studio, but I think I lack experience here, I'm not sure what I'm doing. I got to the part in where I had to add the DDL files as references, but I couldn't find a 'browse' button in this section. Perhaps it had something to do with a previous step, as I don't think I did them all correctly.

I don't have Visual Studio installed at the moment, but I just checked through the assemblies quickly with ILSpy. After extracting them as DLLs like in the guide, you can open them with ILSpy and check to see whether the animation codes appear somewhere or not. I assumed reactions are handled via scripting as results of some event (like an interaction being rejected), but couldn't find any mention of the awkward reaction :/ Though they might be a different name.

Maybe this thread should be moved into Modding Discussions, we might get some more useful replies there

no wait, if I understand it right, if the right reactiontype could be found, the one used for 'c2a_soc_neutral_shareinterests_awkward_neutral_y', then could simply the C be removed, and a separate section be created with the same reactiontype, but this time only including C, and the animation be switch to 'c_react_awkward_x'. Could it really be that simple?

That's what I meant, if we're on the same page Literally copy that first section of code (second looks like it could be a trait-related idle), paste it after, take the "C" out of the first section, and leave only "C" in the copied section (while also modifying the animation name accordingly. I'm curious to see how teens play the adult animation, do they stretch too? They should considering the teen body mesh is smaller than the adult one.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 3:35 PM Last edited by NeWx : 3rd Dec 2017 at 9:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
I don't have Visual Studio installed at the moment, but I just checked through the assemblies quickly with ILSpy. After extracting them as DLLs like in the guide, you can open them with ILSpy and check to see whether the animation codes appear somewhere or not. I assumed reactions are handled via scripting as results of some event (like an interaction being rejected), but couldn't find any mention of the awkward reaction :/ Though they might be a different name.

Oh. So it was possible to do so that way. I downloaded it and tried to find the parts you mentioned previously, I couldn't. I guess I'm just bad at this haha. Couldn't find the other animation either, so I downloaded another viewer called NET Reflector, as it had a better search function according to a google search I did. It could supposedly search through all the lines in all the files. Somehow I still couldn't find the part you mentioned, instead two completely different mentions of 'a_react_awkward_x'. For 'a2a_soc_neutral_shareinterests_awkward_neutral_y' there was zero results. I thought I could at least track it down, but nope, weird.

Maybe this thread should be moved into Modding Discussions, we might get some more useful replies there

That's a good idea

That's what I meant, if we're on the same page Literally copy that first section of code (second looks like it could be a trait-related idle), paste it after, take the "C" out of the first section, and leave only "C" in the copied section (while also modifying the animation name accordingly. I'm curious to see how teens play the adult animation, do they stretch too? They should considering the teen body mesh is smaller than the adult one.

Yes! I missed the point at first, that the same thing could be done with the '..awkward_neutral_y' animation; got too cough up wondering how on earth it all made sense, because the normal 'a_react_awkward_x' animation do work, I think, yet it includes all the ages. I did try it with teens, they stay the same oddly enough. I hadn't thought of it before, as there doesn't seem to be that many animations for teens alone, there is no 't_react_awkward_x' for example. Perhaps they can share a lot of animations because it might be that only the overall scale has to change, not the height, there probably is to much of a difference in height when it comes to children and teens/adults. But I'm just guessing.

I still wonder, does this only happen to me? I would like it if someone could try and reproduce it. It would be odd if it didn't happen for others, because I have a completely clean install. Unless most people are using the Origin version, which might have fixed this, while I'm stuck with the Steam one.

EDIT: Oh my, how embarrassing. I think I was looking through the wrong file all along. I had no idea there existed a GameplayData package, I always confused it with the shorter named Gameplay package. I was searching through the DDL files all this time..

UPDATE: I.. well I solved it, not in the way I would have preferred. I made it so the specific awkwardness never trigger, at least I think it doesn't, didn't in a short test I did. In the SocialTest xml I changed the value of kChanceOfSociallyAwkwardSocials to 0. I would have preferred having the animation fixed, but it's this or that. This way I won't see the glitch happen, not even from other sims with the trait; they shouldn't be able to trigger the reaction either. Thanks, and goodbye
Alchemist
#6 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 7:11 AM
UPDATE: I.. well I solved it, not in the way I would have preferred. I made it so the specific awkwardness never trigger, at least I think it doesn't, didn't in a short test I did. In the SocialTest xml I changed the value of kChanceOfSociallyAwkwardSocials to 0. I would have preferred having the animation fixed, but it's this or that. This way I won't see the glitch happen, not even from other sims with the trait; they shouldn't be able to trigger the reaction either. Thanks, and goodbye

Well, it's a workaround at least :/ Sorry I wasn't able to help more. Happy simming!