Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 2:46 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Neighborhoods Crashing in CAS & Use Mirror/Clothing Situations
Recently I experienced a problem that I was never able to resolve, so I'm casting my bread on the waters here to see if it rings any bells. On an old install of my game, on a different computer, I have a bizarre problem: Create a Sim and using the mirror only work on one neighborhood. The rest simply crash if I try to enter into those modes. This wasn't always the course: it just happened one day. Now, the fact that it works in one neighborhood and not another seems to hint that it's not an issue with a mesh, but I can't say for sure. What's strange is that on my present computer, after a year of playing just fine, the problem has reappeared. It did so shortly after I made two changes to my game: I removed a neighborhood (Old Town) and replaced it with a backup, downloaded from here; and I had installed a handful of celebrity sims. Now, I've removed the neighborhood and recent downloads; I checked the SaveSims folders but didn't see any corresponding to the period last week when I extracted them. At any rate, the problem persists -- and just as last time, the only neighborhood that lets me use CAS and mirrors is the most recent one. The strangest thing is that when I replaced my Pleasantview -- the one working -- with the default Pleasantview, CAS and mirors stopped working. As of the moment, I have zero neighborhoods that will allow me to use create a family, or any clothing/mirror options.

Does this problem seem familiar to anyone?

For what it's worth, both installs had one similarity: I was using the Old Town neighborhood...but I've been using Old Town for months on this install without a problem.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 3:29 AM
Did you delete your cache files?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
Did you delete your cache files?

I just looked up what that entailed and tried it -- same result.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 1:17 AM
As an update, I replaced the default Pleasantview with the previously deleted Pleasantview, and CAS/mirrors/etc are working in that one. Only in that neighborhood, though...
Alchemist
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 2:30 AM
Create-A-Sim; the crashing might be a neighborhood setting.
possibly fixable in SimPE .
Sim Creation Index resource of the neighborhood; c & d columns on Hex tab; "Byte" value may need to be greater than 0x00.

mirrors; crashing might be due to graphics. might lower graphics settings.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 12:41 PM
Something like that is usually bad CC - but it does seem odd that it's working in one neighbourhood and not the others. But before you go any further, I would check it's not CC by removing everything from your downloads folder (except perhaps the SuperDuperHug prevention hacks) and test it. If it does work properly then, you can be sure it's something in your Downloads folder. If not, you know to look elsewhere. I would advise this strongly because 99 times out of a 100, it's CC-related. This might be the 100th time of course but you need to eliminate the possibility of it being CC.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 4:42 AM
The problem is fixed now, although not resolved. I installed the Best of Business collection (was running vanilla + uni + nightlife + seasons on this comp) and...well, now mirrors and such work. I still have no idea what that was!

Thanks for your input, everyone. In 13 years of playing this game I'd never heard of the groups cache file...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 10:19 PM
Are you patched?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~