Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 2:43 PM
Default Women in TS3
I am playing a couple in Sunset Valley: they are living in a very nice house, mostly built by his father, and have two children. They are of a roughly same age and they started their careers at the same time. He is a musician and he just finished his; she is in politics and she is still at level 7.

So why the difference? There are several answers, of course, but the main one is obvious. When a woman in TS3 gives birth she is given four work days of paid leave to take care of the baby; these days are mandatory. (In TS2 she gets them as well but she can go back to work the next day or even on the same day, should she choose so.) As we all know, four work days mean a lot in TS3: combined with normal free days and seasonal holidays they easily add up to a week or more. My Sim had two children, so it's no wonder that she is lagging behind her husband. (This, BTW, is the reason why I prefer self-employed careers, but it would not be realistic if I gave them to all my Sims.)

Don't misunderstand me: I am not complaining, just the opposite - I am praising the game because I think it represents the current situation of women quite accurately. Agree or disagree?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 11:06 PM
Use NRaas Returner and StoryProgression to reduce the number of days or disable maternity leave.
You can read more about it here: https://www.nraas.net/community/Pregnancy
Scholar
#3 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 11:09 PM Last edited by pretenshus : 8th Jan 2019 at 12:04 AM.
I'd like to think the game is more based on algorithms. Men in this game can become pregnant as well so I wouldn't read into it so much. I've never played as a pregnant male but I'm assuming the exact same situation can be recreated with them.
Screenshots
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
I'd like to think the game is more based on algorithms. Men in this game can become pregnant as well so I wouldn't read into it so much. I've never played as a pregnant male but I'm assuming the exact same situation can be recreated with them.

Do pregnant men get the same leaves?

Never thought I would say that sentence

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 3:36 PM
Would anyone mind if some questions are raised that do not involve all of the overhead brought into this thread?

The original point was about two sims who started their careers at roughly the same time and one progressed to Level 10 while the other is at Level 7. People (and sims) do not progress through careers all at the same rate and I will also mention that the two careers, Music and Politics, are very different from each other. While still factoring in uneven amounts of parental leave, maybe the Level 7 sim is just not as good at what they do or has different priorities, isn't as driven to work towards promotions as hard, maybe her career is more difficult (for her) to work through than his is (for him), maybe the Level 10 sim is a musical genius while the Level 7 sim is a political dunderhead (or something like that), maybe they have never really been equal in their respective performance metrics?

And maybe none of that is true in the slightest, but as the OP also admitted there could be yet more factors. At the risk of further propagating gender based stereotypes, perhaps the Level 10 sim preferred to stay out of the house or at least out of the way of crying babies and fussy toddlers more often, possibly working on their musical skills at the time, than the Level 7 sim who embraced the challenges of raising children first-hand at the expense of spending "spare time" on hobbies that might have furthered her own career?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 9:45 AM
Exactly Nitromon, I'll know her when I see her. Unless she also plays The Sims in which case I think we'll spend a lot of time together not having a life.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Site Helper
#7 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Exactly Nitromon, I'll know her when I see her. Unless she also plays The Sims in which case I think we'll spend a lot of time together not having a life.

No, you'll do what my husband and I did and end up with several gigabytes of Custom Content in your game that you had no idea about because she downloaded it for you. And vice-versa.

(But having a shared neighborhood in Sims 2 was fun! Especially when his sim family started constantly visiting mine.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 8:28 PM
Oh if anyone knew how much of a kick I get out of new CC.....if I woke up one Christmas to find out she'd gotten me several gigabytes of good, usable CC I'd probably have a heart attack and die.

(Seriously though, there have been moments recently where I've gotten more excited over a new piece of clothing than I did over a whole expansion pack 5 years ago. Imagine if I could get someone competent to do the CC creation work for Bridgeport'88. I've had to create 4 new items for this episode and they're all severely broken in one way or another.....I might need to bribe someone into fixing them for me.)

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
#9 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 12:16 AM
I had two male sims in the same career (business) and they went up at different rates. One of them even got demoted. So I don't think it's sexism imprinted into the game so much as RNG.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#10 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 10:45 AM
Just a heads up! I split the thread in half, so you guys can talk about TS3 maternity leave and the actual topic of the thread right in this thread!

So, (something I wasn't expecting to say here) Please don't talk about political stuff in this thread, for that you can do it riiight here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...622483&posted=1
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 10:56 AM
Got scared for a bit you'd Thanos'd it, but the other half's still there.

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
#13 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 6:52 PM
Lol it did kill the thread with it but I’m glad to see it’s clone to live on!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 7:12 PM
Yeah we're having fun over there.

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
#16 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 11:58 AM
If you go under Community > under general discussions and click "debate room" then you'd be able to find it by hand! Sorry for not providing that earlier! Site can be a maze when it comes to forums, so..
Site Helper
#17 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 3:14 PM
I get to it by subscribing to the thread so I can find it again.

(Although at some point I may want to unsubscribe from some of these threads. I'm still subscribed to some threads that are old enough to make their own account now.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook