Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 1:01 PM Last edited by LampreM : 5th Aug 2009 at 6:41 AM. Reason: Update
STAY HOME DAD CHALLENGE (With role/personality types)
*Updates are shown in bold*

The idea behind this challenge is twofold. One aspect is the “Perfect Parent” ideal all children wish for and parents aspire to. In this challenge I am also throwing in a bit of a stereo-typed role reversal (but you need not do that you can play with a Stay home Mom and Worker dad) – cest la vie……

The second aspect is personality/role types. I noticed that the traits combined in certain ways fit snug into some Stereotypical roles or personality types and divided it into seven groups of 9 traits.

In summary:

Worker
Ambitious
Perfectionist
Workaholic
Computer Whiz
Genius
Athletic
Brave
Heavy Sleeper
Lucky

Homemaker
Angler
Family-Oriented
Frugal
Vegetarian
Green Thumb
Handy
Natural Cook
Light Sleeper
Neat

Popular Peter
Excitable
Charismatic
Flirty
Friendly
Good S of Humor
Great Kisser
Hopeless Romantic
Party Animal
Schmoozer

Dreamer
Hates the Outdoors OR Loves the outdoors
Over-Emotional
technophobe
Artistic
Bookworm
Virtuoso
Loner
Good
Snob

Oddball
Childish
Daredevil
Absent-Minded
Insane
Never Nude
Commitment Issues
Inappropriate
Easily Impressed
Mooch

Bad Guy
Evil
Hot-Headed
Kleptomaniac
Hates the outdoors / Loves the Outdoors
Dislikes Children
Grumpy
Mean Spirited
No Sense of Humor
Unflirty

Loser
Can't Stand Art
Neurotic
Clumsy
Couch Potato
Coward
Hydrophobic
Slob
Unlucky
Loser

SET IT UP
**For an easier game set lifespan to Long …… For harder games shorten lifespan. Freewill ON MAX.
***VERY Challenging Variant: Forget the working wife and go it as a single dad. He will have to make money from collectables, guitar tips, Fruit and Veg sales, fish sales, opportunities, etc...(See living off the land types of challenges)

1. Create a Male Young Adult with any looks and clothes you desire. He can have any of the following traits.
Homemaker
Angler, Family-Oriented, Frugal, Vegetarian, Green Thumb, Handy, Natural Cook, Light Sleeper, Neat

2. Create a Female Young Adult with the genetics you want in your kids. Assign any of the following traits:
Worker
Ambitious, Perfectionist, Workaholic, Computer Whiz, Genius, Athletic, Brave, Heavy Sleeper, Lucky
NB: You will not be controlling the worker sim day to day after you have set up in a career.

3. Now create 3 toddlers of any sex you desire. Assign any of the traits as follows:
Note: You can only give 2 traits in CAS and not all traits are available to Toddlers, children etc, but when given the choice to do so Assign traits per “personality type” only. Traits in Bold are available to Toddlers in CAS. If traits are randomly assigned you Must Keep Them.

***You could start with no or less children, but consider that the female will be staying off work (only earning little) while on Maternity leave.***

a.Child 1 – Popular-Peter
Excitable, Friendly, Good sense of Humor, Party Animal, Charismatic, Flirty, Great Kisser, Hopeless Romantic, Schmoozer

b.Child 2 – Dreamer
Artistic, Virtuoso, Loner, Hates the Outdoors, Over-Emotional, technophobe, Bookworm, Good, Snob

c.Child 3 - Odd-ball
Absent-Minded, Easily Impressed, Insane, Childish, Daredevil, Never Nude, Commitment Issues, Inappropriate, Mooch

*******If you plan to have more kids in game when given the opportunity assign these traits.

Child 4 - Evil incarnate
Evil, Hot-Headed, Kleptomaniac, Loves the Outdoors, Dislikes Children, Grumpy, Mean Spirited, No Sense of Humor, Unflirty

Child 5 - Loser
Can't Stand Art, Neurotic, Clumsy, Couch Potato, Coward, Hydrophobic, Slob, Unlucky, Loser

** Child 6 is a wildcard so you can do what you like……

Make sure the relationships are set up right and move them into any lot or empty building.

DAY-TO-DAY PLAY

Restrictions :
No Services except Emergency services (Police and Fire Brigade) – No Maid, Nanny, Repair technician … ever!
No fast food deliveries.
Stay Home Dads MAY NOT get a job while he has children living in the house.
No Cheats or Hacks that will affect motives, moods or skills.
If you use the “midlife crises” reward you must stay true to character type listed above.

Your main focus is the Stay Home Dad (SHD) whom you freely control. SHD Requirements:
Cleaning - Keep the house and Garden spotless. The home and Garden must be kept presentable at all times.
Cooking all meals for the family, no fast food deliveries are allowed! Try to have the whole family sit down for meals once a day. (Use Call household to meal) – You may not “eat leftovers” but you can keep them in the fridge in case of emergencies....
Do Gardening and go fishing to Provide ingredients for meals.
Go shopping for all books required by all members of the family.
Do all Repairs around the house (Remember to save before working on electronic items)
Pay all bills at the Mailbox (Try to pay them BEFORE you get the reminder to pay them.)
Raise the Kids Teach Toddlers to Walk and Talk and Potty train them. (Once a toddler has mastered all three skills you may force them to age-up with a birthday cake – this will help stagger the birthdays a bit)
Help Kids with School - Once kids are in school Help with homework whenever possible.
Host birthday parties for your kids on every birthday inviting all their friends and relatives. He must try to bake cookies or cakes for all Birthday parties.
Know his kids - He must discover all the kids’s traits and each child's favorite color, Music and food and be at least good friends with them
The SHD will only have access to television when the kids are asleep and all chores are done.
The SHD must also be a good spouse and he must Make out, Amorous Hug, Woohoo or Try for baby (.*..if he can handle more…*.) with his spouse often.
Once the kids are out of the nest he may get a job and chase his Lifetime Want.

The Spouse. You are not to actively control this Sim except on her days off…
Find them a job – since they are the breadwinners.
Make sure they go to work and complete Career Challenges
DO NOT chase motives for them…freewill must mostly do this. (You may cue Eat, Loo and Shower/bath while she sleeps but nothing else)
DO NOT direct them to any of the following: Gardening, fishing. Shop for books, Cleaning, Cooking, Repairing, Pay bills, Teach Toddlers to Walk and Talk and Potty train, Help with homework or any of Dad’s responsibilities (If freewill does it fine……)
You may promise/un-promise wishes at any time, but may not direct them to fulfil them…choose wisely

The Kids. You are not to actively control these Sim except on days off…
Make sure they go to school…….
DO NOT chase motives for them…freewill must do this. (You may cue Eat, Loo and Shower/bath while she sleeps but nothing else)
DO NOT direct them to any of the following: Shop for books, Cleaning, Cooking, Repairing, Pay bills. (If freewill does it fine……)
Do Homework every day but you must Ask Dad to help with Homework or do homework with...
When Children are on honor roll you may age them up – if you want
Teens MUST have a Part time job. (Shame give poor dad a break…and some cash)
When teens are on honor roll and have a Part time job and a boyfriend/girlfriend you may age them up – if you want
They can remain in the nest as Young Adults, but must leave home to get married or age to Adult.
You may direct them to build a particular relationship.

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." -Chinese proverb
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 3:09 PM
This sounds like a challenge that I could actually do! Is there a point system?
Test Subject
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 5:15 PM
Oh, and I had another question. Since you start off with 3 toddlers, how do we get ahold of seeds for a garden, or go to the grocery store to get items for meals without hiring a babysitter?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 10:35 PM
Why is "Loves the Outdoors" evil while "Hates the Outdoors" is dreamer? I think of a dreamer as someone who could just lay under a tree imagining the bunny-shaped cloud playing with the puppy-shaped cloud by hiding the bone-shaped cloud under the bush-shaped cloud.

/shrug.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EvilCatsMom
This sounds like a challenge that I could actually do! Is there a point system?

Not really..... the idea is to enjoy the game, and challenge yourself in ways that perhaps you usually wouldn't. I could create a point system if you really wanted one.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EvilCatsMom
Oh, and I had another question. Since you start off with 3 toddlers, how do we get ahold of seeds for a garden, or go to the grocery store to get items for meals without hiring a babysitter?

You can remove some fruit & veg from the fridge and plant it. My SHD had a Gardening Level 1 book in his inventory (Perhaps 'coz he has Green Thumb as a Trait) which with magically give you some seeds when you reach level 1.

I also approached it by waiting for the worker sim's days off to leave the kids with her and go shopping and seed hunting.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AyaJulia
Why is "Loves the Outdoors" evil while "Hates the Outdoors" is dreamer? I think of a dreamer as someone who could just lay under a tree imagining the bunny-shaped cloud playing with the puppy-shaped cloud by hiding the bone-shaped cloud under the bush-shaped cloud.

/shrug.

My reasoning was that Dreamers often read, daydream, are socially a bit distant and likes their own company, while an Evil Sim is often sneaking around outside, rummaging and pillaging.

PS: - those two were marked as a square peg type of fit in my planning notes too...

Forum Resident
#8 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 2:42 PM
I personally like it without points. It is a good challenge even though it promotes stereotyping.

I also agree with AyaJulia that "Loves the Outdoors" fits a dreamer. As the dreamer is a loner, staying inside makes since. However, as a virtuoso, playing in the park and getting tips would make the loner very upset. If one doesn't add more than the normal five traits though, it isn't really an issue.

Also, strict vegetarians do not eat fish and wouldn't use fish to fertilize plants. Sims isn't real life though. So, as not all traits need to be used, the categories seem flexible enough.
Test Subject
#9 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 3:43 PM
sounds like a fun challenge....going to give it a try...thanks for coming up with it...
Field Researcher
#10 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 9:43 PM
All finished! Fun and kinda challenging to not control anyone but the dad. And those birthday parties tried to crash my game, lol. Any new challenge?
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 12:24 AM
I am thinking of doing this challenge with a sim I am already playing, but where would he fit in with these traits?

Loner, Couch Potato, Ambitious, Loser, Neurotic.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 6:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by That20issmokin
All finished! Fun and kinda challenging to not control anyone but the dad. And those birthday parties tried to crash my game, lol. Any new challenge?

Soon - Stretching my brain to come up with something that will finally use Butterflies, bugs etc in a meaningfull way, and another that is a twist on an oldie, but goodie....Watch this space

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FreakAboutSims
I am thinking of doing this challenge with a sim I am already playing, but where would he fit in with these traits?

Loner, Couch Potato, Ambitious, Loser, Neurotic.

Most of his traits are in the Loser catagory, So you could use him and 'pretend' ambitious and Loner was randomly given.

However. most of the challenge lies in having a blundering idiot (meaning no skills in cooking, cleaning etc) having to improve himself while dealing with the demands of 3 Toddlers.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 6:42 AM
I have made a small change to help with the Love/Hate the outdoors trait.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 9:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LampreM
Most of his traits are in the Loser catagory, So you could use him and 'pretend' ambitious and Loner was randomly given.

However. most of the challenge lies in having a blundering idiot (meaning no skills in cooking, cleaning etc) having to improve himself while dealing with the demands of 3 Toddlers.

Well blast, I've really been considering on taking this challenging but only if I use this sim seeing as the person he is based on seems to fit with the role of a homemaker, oh wait, for him a househusband.

Also, are we allowed to have a homosexual couple instead of a heterosexual couple? I see you allow for us to be a wife instead of a stay-at-home father. But is it possible to have one male be the worker and you be the SHD?

I find it funny how he keeps having wishes to clean and make the bed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 10:21 AM
Well blast, I've really been considering on taking this challenging but only if I use this sim seeing as the person he is based on seems to fit with the role of a homemaker, oh wait, for him a househusband.

Also, are we allowed to have a homosexual couple instead of a heterosexual couple? I see you allow for us to be a wife instead of a stay-at-home father. But is it possible to have one male be the worker and you be the SHD?

I find it funny how he keeps having wishes to clean and make the bed.

You can still play with him if you like....you'll focus on the SHD part of the challenge and not so much on the Stereotypes. Of course same sex couples are allowed. You'll can adopt 3 Toddlers.

Field Researcher
#17 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 10:25 AM
These kinds of challenges are the ones that makes me wish the game had an individual free will option which allows you to turn off free will for just one sim.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 10:29 AM
These kinds of challenges are the ones that makes me wish the game had an individual free will option which allows you to turn off free will for just one sim.

That would be helpfull. But you'll have to cancel unwanted freewil actions all the time

Test Subject
#19 Old 26th May 2018 at 11:09 PM
Want a quick review of this challenge? Check out my (quickly summarized) gameplay and review. https://everysims3challenge.blogspo...lenge-with.html