Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 8:14 AM Last edited by linesa : 24th Sep 2016 at 8:59 AM.
Default Are these shells and catalog fix safes ? And how to prevent npcs to enter an apartment meant for our sims ?
Hi everyone ^^.
I hope I'm posting in the right section, if not sorry ^^'

I'd like to try to build an apartement using EA's shells to experiment a bit the building part of a game since I'm not really a builder.
To have choice, I plan to use this mod who unlock said shells : http://www.sims3cri.com/en/mods/vie...atalog-fix.html

I also plan to take this fix : http://www.sims3cri.com/en/mods/vie...atalog-fix.html

Are these mods clean ?
I heard some shells were bugged and could cause problems :/

Or maybe I should use these 2: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=425551 and http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg559858 ?

Unless there's other clean mods somewhere else ?

And next, my question question about building apartment is this one : yesterday, I tried to build an apartment by using one of the late night shell on a lot, then I moved my sims who was on another lot in it, but there were npc in the apartment...
How can I prevent that ?
I had put a public marker area in the in corridor and public area, put the private area marker in the npc's apartments and set the doors for npc, but I did nothing to the door of the apartment meant for my sims.

I guess I should have locked the door to everyone before moving my sims to said apartment ?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 10:05 AM
Not sure if they actually work correctly, since it's a mod that has been updated in 2011, and... well the last expansion pack and update (if we ignore 1.69) was about 2 years ago. So I would test it and make sure you don't have any other mods that also changes the OBJD files of the appartments since they are default replacements.

For NPCs there is this sphere that EA made to let the game know that there should be NPCs living in that room, not quite sure what the name was for it again, but it can be found in Buydebug.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 10:09 AM
If shells are bugged it's probably EA you should blame. Some of it could perhaps be fixed, but it depends on the issue. That first site I know nothing about, and I usually avoid sites that are too pink'ish. I'm probably a bit silly, but something to consider when building our own I guess.

What did you want to do with the MATY link? Is it Jinx you're thinking about, that's probably going to be a noshow, he's a bit illusive these days.

If I have to test a lot I usually move my tester in at the beginning, it would also prevent npc's taking over, at least I've never had that problem ... I think.

Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
For NPCs there is this sphere that EA made to let the game know that there should be NPCs living in that room, not quite sure what the name was for it again, but it can be found in Buydebug.

Silly me, you have to use the hidden and public markers. The apartment for your sim shouldn't have any.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 10:51 AM Last edited by linesa : 24th Sep 2016 at 11:09 AM.
Thanks for your tips @Greenplumbbob and @Volvenom ^^

That's what I did, I used the hidden and public markers and didn't put any in the apartment for my sim ^^

Yup, the only mods about the apartments I have are the one from Sim3Cri I showed in my first post ^^

Well the Maty link also got the clean shells to download, that's why I'm hesitating with these 3 XD

Or I still take the risk, and I'll see what happen XD
dodgy builder
#5 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 11:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by linesa
Thanks for your tips @Greenplumbbob and @Volvenom ^^

That's what I did, I used the hidden and public markers and didn't put any in the apartment for my sim ^^

Yup, the only mods about the apartments I have are the one from Sim3Cri I showed in my first post ^^

Well the Maty link also got the clean shells to download, that's why I'm hesitating with these 3 XD

Or I still take the risk, and I'll see what happen XD

If you backup your game, you should be fine ... hopefully
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Sep 2016 at 11:39 AM
He he, you're right @Volvenom ^^

Backing up our game is always a must do, just in case, no matter the game ^^
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 1:48 AM
Hi linesa
Your question is in the right place and Volvenom is our resident apartment expert. Personally, I would always use a Mod the Sims mod when one is available. This is a large site with lots of people downloading things. If there was a problem with a mod on MTS, someone would find it and report it. Generally speaking, the mods available here are safe and reliable. The mod at the other site you listed may be fine, but we have no way to tell unless we test it in our game. The MTS mod was the same one discussed on the MATY thread you linked to, and the creator of the mod was testing which shells worked and which didn't, so he knew there were problems with some of the shells and was attempting to weed those shells out of his mod. I would go with that one, if it were me.

As for the actual building, here is a tutorial if you need help: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ms_3_Apartments
Good luck and post back if you have other questions.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 7:53 AM
Hi @attuned ^^

Thank you for your advice and the link :D
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 11:49 AM
There are two types of appartments in the Sims 3 - the Late Night version and the University Life version. Not sure if this helps you but as this is a mistake I made at the beginning I thought I might share.

For the LN version, e.g. the shells from Bridgeport, your lot would still be zoned as a regular residental lot. Also, the welcome waggon and participants of a demonstration I accidentelly triggered felt free to invite themselves into my sims flat. Not sure if this regular game behaviour or just something messed up in my setup. After I bade them to leave they went to their homes though, so it was only a temporary stay at my sims' place.

The "appartment" lot type is for the UL version - here you will have roommates which technically live in your flat. You would have to assign beds and rooms to sort that out, but they would still be living in your flat.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 12:29 PM
When we talk about apartments it's the regular type with hidden and public markers we talk about. It may have been introduced with LateNight, but the markers are basegame now. The uni version is generally considered a pain in the butt, and therefore ignored, in my experience.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 12:48 PM
Ah, all right, I didn't know that @Vincent T. and @Volvenom ^^
Thanks guys ^^

I understand things better now ^^

I'll experiment again a bit :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 2:35 PM
Ok, I understand now : the sims were my roomates :o

I understood it when I put a default apartment from the bin, I moved in it and there were sims like in my atempt to make a custom apartment earlier.

Apparently, when you put or build an apartment, it seem to automaticaly add roomates, so I made them go ^^

Some shells don't have their "top", is it normal ? And is there a way to fix that ?
A bit like this one :

dodgy builder
#13 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by linesa
Ok, I understand now : the sims were my roomates :o

I understood it when I put a default apartment from the bin, I moved in it and there were sims like in my atempt to make a custom apartment earlier.

Apparently, when you put or build an apartment, it seem to automaticaly add roomates, so I made them go ^^

Some shells don't have their "top", is it normal ? And is there a way to fix that ?
A bit like this one :

I would just start building close to the top and see what happens. If you can build a penthouse up there, it should be fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 8:11 AM
Just keep in mind that these shells are more or less decorative objects. They do nothing for your sims. So you will have to build from ground floor up, add stairs/elevators etc., and make an outer wall, too (you'll need that to place the room markers properly - the hidden room markers need to be fully enclosed by walls). You'll see this in the Bridgeport buildings, too:

If you place the shell you should see which floors you can use (you might need to play around a little with walls up/down and floor level in order to see it). I gave them different colours to show what I mean:

Hope this helps getting you started! One more thing - I noticed that NPCs often get spanwed close to the front door, so I try to leave lots of public room to either side of the entrance.

Also, build a second entrance door inside. I don't think the shell "door" counts as "wall" when it comes to the room markers. This is also how it is done in the BP lots.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 12:04 PM
Thanks for these tips and infos @Vincent T., it's helpful ^^

I'll try to experiment a bit and share the results when I have time ^^