Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2023 at 12:01 PM
Default Interacting with the 'uncontactable' NPC household via a mod
I'm not sure my title is the best one - let me explain what I'm trying to do.

I'm making a "Missing Sims" mod, so that all other sims don't instantly know what's happened to a sim if they either run away or are secretly murdered. I therefore want the mod to hide the original sim somewhere, while I make a clone that starts a new life/ haunts their murderer. I understand there is an NPC household that can't be phoned, so I want to move the original sim there (possibly with a prisoner token to stop them appearing on a community lot). Does anyone have any idea how I can do that? Household ID and pointers to BHAVs for moving households would be really useful.

I would also like other sims to be able to get a list of all the sims that are missing - i.e. in that uncontactable household with a custom "missing" token. Is it possible to search through sims in a different household to the active household and find those with a particular token?

Many thanks for any suggestions
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 1st Dec 2023 at 8:41 PM
Interesting. I'm looking into doing something a little bit similar. April Black had a video on Bella Goth that explains the way she disappeared, and that also includes a guide for moving your own Sim into the NPC household.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HvMVCVqHI

As for BHAVs, look at Patch - Fix Bella, which is what EA used to move Bella out of the NPC pool. You can reverse that process to move someone into it.

It is possible to loop through different households and look for a token. I can't think of anything offhand that does exactly what you're intresed in, but ACR uses this feature when you set everyone's gender preferences.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2023 at 4:05 AM
Thanks, that's really helpful.
Inventor
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2023 at 8:54 AM
The furthest family you can place a sim to remove him is family 0 where dead people live. They are placed there after calling generic sims call 6, which is normally followed by generic 4 to place in a specific family, but you could leave them there. In many places you have checks for family > 0 or != 0, while sims in other reserved families sometimes slip by.

If you want to introduce a new token, then of course you'll need to modify other parts of the game such as phone and comm / secret lot populators to respect it, and add conflicts with other mods. Far simpler than a new token object is to appropriate an unused bit in person data.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2023 at 12:20 PM
Family 0 is the one I want, thank you. Sims call 6 sounds like the way to send the sim there.

I also want a custom token to keep track of who is supposed to be missing and how the new and old identities match up - but with the rules for the default household keeping them "missing" and uncontactable, it should limit modifications for the new token to my custom object I'm making, and therefore also limit conflicts.