Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2019 at 4:37 AM
Default ZIP files all show as SimPE files
I played Sims 2 for years, and somehow all zip files I download display as SimPE files. I downloaded some CC for Sims 3, and have no way to install them; the second I click on the file, in what should be a Sims3pack, instead opens up SimPE, and then tells me the file is not supported by the program. How can I get my zip files to display correctly so i can download the files into Sims 3? I'm stumped... Thanks!

goderguy
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Mar 2019 at 4:59 AM
You can fix the unwanted file associations, but it's not really necessary to do that. Once you have what should be a zipped file downloaded, right click on it and select Extract, Decompress, or Open With whatever program you usually use to unzip files. For sims3packs, once they are unzipped so no longer in the compressed package, they get installed by placing/moving them into your TS3 user game folder's Downloads folder so the Launcher can read them.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
You can fix the unwanted file associations, but it's not really necessary to do that. Once you have what should be a zipped file downloaded, right click on it and select Extract, Decompress, or Open With whatever program you usually use to unzip files. For sims3packs, once they are unzipped so no longer in the compressed package, they get installed by placing/moving them into your TS3 user game folder's Downloads folder so the Launcher can read them.

Thank you! Another question, is there a difference between the Downloads folder and the Mods folder? I just started playing TS3 again, and I have zero custom content at the moment due to a new computer. I don';t want to put the files into the wrong folders.

goderguy
Site Helper
#4 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 1:35 AM
Yes, there is a big difference between the Downloads folder and the Mods folder. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...p:TS3_CC_Basics goes into detail, but basically there are a couple of ways to make CC for the sims. One way is to make a sims3pack, usually as a result of clicking "share" for a sim or a lot. The other way is to use a program to create a .package file for the game to read. Sims3packs are installed with the Launcher. Putting them into Downloads lets the Launcher find them to automatically open them and install them (or check to see if they were installed. ) Once they have been installed, the original sims3packs can be safely moved back out of Downloads, because the Launcher doesn't need to see them anymore.

.Package files are what goes into the Mods folder. (or, more correctly into a folder inside Mods called Packages, or in rare situations Overrides.) There is a file called resource.cfg which tells the game how to read the files in the Mods folder. Those files need to stay inside the Mods folder in order to be used.

ETA:
Most of the CC here at MTS comes as a .package file.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 1:36 AM
You can also right click on the files, go to properties then change. Under there you should be able to change what program they are opening with.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can also right click on the files, go to properties then change. Under there you should be able to change what program they are opening with.

What program should I choose? Just Sims 3? I don't have the Sims 3 version of SimPe.

goderguy
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 1:17 PM
S3PE is what you need.

(MTS automatically creates a link to the software when someone types S3PE . So let's see if it worked Edit:-Yay it worked ). S3PE is for .package files.
If your CC is .Sims3pack then you can install them via launcher directly. Or use a 3rd party software like CCmagic. CCmagic can't install worlds(New towns) though so keep that in mind.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone! The files appear to work just fine once installed, so I will leave sleeping dogs lie as it were...

goderguy