Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 11:46 PM Last edited by Skpamd : 14th Sep 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Default How to get script mods to work
I was having problems getting script zipped files to work, with some testing I figured out why.

First thing is you have to turn on script mods. You do this by going into the game then go to Game Options then to Other and turn on (check mark) Script Mods. Then push apply, log all the way out of game to desktop. Next time you go into the game any script files you have placed in the Mods folder should work.

Next thing I found is I am really OCD and like everything very organized so I break things up into sets, sites, creator, item. With script zipped files you can't do this. You have to place the script zip file directly into the mods folder. I also found you can go one more folder deep, but that is it. For example how I have place the scripted zip file is Mods>Scripts.

I am guessing this is only for scripts that you do not have to extract from the zip file. From what I can tell the creators will tell you in the description if the zip file needs to be extracted or not.

I hope that helps anyone having problems and makes sense. :p

The shore is my heart, the waves my spirit & the sea my soul.
--Areil Megan Delphinus (Skpamd)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 2:31 AM
I believe you can force the game to check for mods in deeper folders by adding this line to the resource.cfg

PackedFile *\*\*.package

If that's true, then you surely could continue the pattern for even deeper category/folder searches

PackedFile *\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*.package
Lab Assistant
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 3:29 AM
@awesomeness04 is correct. You can go deeper and deeper by extending it. I'm not sure what the limit on that is.

I'm going to move this over to Sims 4 Help so other people who are having trouble can find it more easily. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 4:06 AM
I have the resource file set up mine goes 11 deep. But for some reason scripted zip files are not working like that. The other config modes are fine it is just the scripted zip files that you do not have to extract.

The shore is my heart, the waves my spirit & the sea my soul.
--Areil Megan Delphinus (Skpamd)
*not to be found on sims4forum*
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 4:19 AM
Can script mod zips be renamed so you can put like CreatorName_ModDoesThis.zip or something similar? I haven't tried this but it might be possible, and that would be something at least.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 12:14 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 14th Sep 2014 at 6:56 PM.
I have some of the same issues with Shimrod101 and kikiwalu's light mods. I changed my resource.cfg file to have more folders, but those mods don't work if I have them in folders at all. Renaming them might be useful, I could try that.

Nevermind that. I didn't clean up my mods folder after copy and pasting. They are listed on the main page now.
Test Subject
#7 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 2:44 PM
Hi there, I was looking for the correct thread, so I hope I'm right here x3 I have some issue applying mods to my TS4. All of them are .package files and I already passed them into my C:\Users\Gabi\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods direction but it's not working at all. When I launch the game, it lists me all mods a non-script mods and I'm not able to use them. ;/ I tried couple things but non of them worked out, so I would be very pleased if someone can help me out. :3 Thankies in advance!
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 7:08 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm having these same issues. My game is totally updated, my resource.cfg is edited properly, and my script mods are zipped in the mods folder with no sub folders inside. My game will recognize the non-script mods, but not the script mods. I feel I should also point out that for some reason, I'm also unable to create subfolders within my mods folder (Windows won't allow me to do it. It won't even give me the option to create a new folder)

Any help?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 8:17 PM
@tm080201 Did you turn on allow script mods in game as described in skpamd's post?
Test Subject
#10 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TamiraA
@tm080201 Did you turn on allow script mods in game as described in skpamd's post?

Yup, I was sure to turn that feature on from the get-go. I've uninstalled and reinstalled already too.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 9:21 PM
To me that sounds like a permissions problem. What with stuff in that folder being allowed to be read, but not executed. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to solve that, I only know it is possible (someone pointed me to a "how to set permissions under Windows" thing recently but I completely forgot what it was).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 10:30 PM
Do you have an administer account? If you do, right click on your mod folder and select properties. Check that the read only box at the bottom is not checked and if it is uncheck it. Select the security tab, and check the permissions for your account and the system account on that folder. Make sure you have read/read & execute/write enabled. If not, modify it so that you do. Apply your changes. Do the same thing on the script files (do one for testing). Test if that works. If not, you might have some UAC issues and I won't advise you on that as without seeing your system, it might compromise the security on your computer.
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 2:46 PM
So I discovered the problem, and I thank you all for your help in trying to fix the problem. Hopefully this will help others having the same problems:

It wasn't a permissions problem, I have the only account on my computer and made sure to check just in case. It turns out, Accessing your Documents folder through Windows Libraries and going through C\Your Name\My Documents is MUCH different. When I would access the Mods folder by clicking on the Documents under "Libraries", I would be unable to create additional folders. When I went through My Documents, All the folders I created were intact. I Had all the script mods in a folder Script Mods\Don't unzip. Moving them out of the additional subfolder fixed my problem and everything is working perfectly.
Test Subject
#14 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Skpamd
I was having problems getting script zipped files to work, with some testing I figured out why.

First thing is you have to turn on script mods. You do this by going into the game then go to Game Options then to Other and turn on (check mark) Script Mods. Then push apply, log all the way out of game to desktop. Next time you go into the game any script files you have placed in the Mods folder should work.

Next thing I found is I am really OCD and like everything very organized so I break things up into sets, sites, creator, item. With script zipped files you can't do this. You have to place the script zip file directly into the mods folder. I also found you can go one more folder deep, but that is it. For example how I have place the scripted zip file is Mods>Scripts.

I am guessing this is only for scripts that you do not have to extract from the zip file. From what I can tell the creators will tell you in the description if the zip file needs to be extracted or not.

I hope that helps anyone having problems and makes sense. :p
:

this not simple people understand?
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by awesomeness04
I believe you can force the game to check for mods in deeper folders by adding this line to the resource.cfg

PackedFile *\*\*.package

If that's true, then you surely could continue the pattern for even deeper category/folder searches

PackedFile *\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*.package

How can you make the game to check for mods???
Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TamiraA
Do you have an administer account? If you do, right click on your mod folder and select properties. Check that the read only box at the bottom is not checked and if it is uncheck it. Select the security tab, and check the permissions for your account and the system account on that folder. Make sure you have read/read & execute/write enabled. If not, modify it so that you do. Apply your changes. Do the same thing on the script files (do one for testing). Test if that works. If not, you might have some UAC issues and I won't advise you on that as without seeing your system, it might compromise the security on your computer.

The read only was checked. I unchecked it and did everything else. But when I unchecked it and pushed ok. It goes back to being checked. I only have this proble m with careers.

suzanne
Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 7:32 PM
Hi there! I have some script mods, and I applyed the "Allow Script Mods" to the game, but it's not working... I don't know what I'm doing wrong... But if anyone could help me, that would be most appreciated.

-SK289
Scholar
#18 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shammrock289
Hi there! I have some script mods, and I applyed the "Allow Script Mods" to the game, but it's not working... I don't know what I'm doing wrong... But if anyone could help me, that would be most appreciated.

-SK289

You could open a new thread.. this one is from 5 years ago and some of the statements in here are outdated and misleading.

anyways.. You need to extract the ZIP/RAR files into your Mods folder
and make sure not to have it in more than one subfolder inside the /Mods otherwise it won't work
Test Subject
#19 Old 5th Apr 2022 at 4:10 AM
Hi! So, I seem to be having trouble getting very specific mods to work. When any mod descriptions tell me to place the zipped folder directly into my mods folder, it wont work so I extract everything and place any scripts in a script folder and the rest directly into my mods. when I extract them and they are no longer zipped, they work perfectly fine.

My question is I guess if it says to not unzip the folder, why does it only work if I do?

Also, where do I place .pyo and py. type files? I know they're outdated file types but some mods that are very recently updated still have them so I dont know where to put them.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaclimesZero
@awesomeness04 is correct. You can go deeper and deeper by extending it. I'm not sure what the limit on that is.

I'm going to move this over to Sims 4 Help so other people who are having trouble can find it more easily. Thanks!

My resource file is 20 deep and everything works fine. Script files though I don’t put in sub folders.