Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 5:35 PM
Default No ears mod, WIP
This was a request and is intended to be used with fantasy ears - cat or dog ears, etc. - so the human ears won't show. While it's usable my feeling is that it's not really up to MTS standards and I don't know where to go from here.

There are two parts: an ear CAS preset that flattens the ears to the head and a skin details that covers the ear shading in the sim skin. Both have to be applied.

Known issues:
What looks like a tiny hole in the adult male flattened ears. Could be a face with peculiar normals but I've been unable to get rid of it despite endless smoothing.
Some unevenness in the flattened ears. I use Milkshape which isn't very good in this area.
The toddler preset doesn't work properly, and I suspect something besides the mesh is shaping the toddler ears.
Some hairs interact oddly with it, making light or dark spots appear.

I need to move on to other projects for now but I'm putting this here in hopes of testing, advice, opinions; maybe someone with better meshing skills will want to look at it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  cmar_NoEars.zip (64.1 KB, 26724 downloads) - View custom content

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 1:29 AM
Awww...!! :lovestruc I didn't think that you forgot about my request. I just thought that you where working on other projects since you work so hard on the quality of your mods so much. Thank you so very much for trying your best anyway though! Although..... I kind of have another idea. Maybe someone could make an invisible ear skin detail, and then make a ear accessory to cover the hole??? Kind of like the no hair hat accessory that Coupure Electrique made (It's a hat that deletes hair on a sim.) Maybe that could work???... MAYBE????... I don't know. I'm not a modder in ANY WAY! So I have NO clue on how difficult this might be !!!!
Test Subject
#3 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 11:45 AM
Aww, neat, I've been wanting a mod like this for a while! I see the little holes you mentioned, but they're not noticeable enough to bother me personally. I unfortunately can't offer any advice or anything, but I can thank you for the mod, I definitely have use for it! Thank you so much!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by designsbythestorm23
Maybe someone could make an invisible ear skin detail, and then make a ear accessory to cover the hole??? Kind of like the no hair hat accessory that Coupure Electrique made (It's a hat that deletes hair on a sim.) Maybe that could work???... MAYBE????... I don't know. I'm not a modder in ANY WAY! So I have NO clue on how difficult this might be !!!!

If the skin color on an accessory could be made to match so there's no seam, that could work. Or a simpler option could be to do an accessory replacement head with no ears. Possibly a skin details with a mesh if that can be done. Hmmm.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#5 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:06 PM
Works great for me:

Would it be possible to do the same to other facial parts? Like no eyes, no mouth, no nose?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 7:21 PM
Sure it's possible, but it's a lot of rather finicking meshing work to remove features.

Test Subject
#7 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:02 AM
Is there away for you to make your Alien pointed ear mod ear tips to point outward too when you drag them? And what I by that is, when you drag the ears all the way, they seem to curl inward towards the sides of the sims head. It kind of annoys me that EAxis didn't think to add that. And great job with this too! Thank you!
Test Subject
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2019 at 2:20 PM
Default i have an idea for that mod
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
This was a request and is intended to be used with fantasy ears - cat or dog ears, etc. - so the human ears won't show. While it's usable my feeling is that it's not really up to MTS standards and I don't know where to go from here.

There are two parts: an ear CAS preset that flattens the ears to the head and a skin details that covers the ear shading in the sim skin. Both have to be applied.

Known issues:
What looks like a tiny hole in the adult male flattened ears. Could be a face with peculiar normals but I've been unable to get rid of it despite endless smoothing.
Some unevenness in the flattened ears. I use Milkshape which isn't very good in this area.
The toddler preset doesn't work properly, and I suspect something besides the mesh is shaping the toddler ears.
Some hairs interact oddly with it, making light or dark spots appear.

I need to move on to other projects for now but I'm putting this here in hopes of testing, advice, opinions; maybe someone with better meshing skills will want to look at it.

I noticed that I can not use all the haircuts because they have reserved ear space so instead of trying to erase it, why not put hair in place so it will be possible to use any haircut or almost, and for those who want to do a bald Sim but with animal ears or any other idea; put a sort of skin-colored shell on the reduced ear, and if it's too hard or just do not want to lose all that work you've ever had, that same idea can be executed using hair or skin earrings that cover the space.
Â* I think it's amazing people like you who can do things
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2019 at 8:19 PM
Thanks!

I found this worked better if I used a replacement head with the ears removed from the mesh. At some point I'll come back to it and see if I can turn it into something useful.

Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Jul 2019 at 6:22 PM
Would you do this to mermaids?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aybork
Would you do this to mermaids?

It makes sense for mermaids! If I ever get time.

Test Subject
#12 Old 4th May 2020 at 4:32 AM Last edited by Smaks : 4th May 2020 at 5:20 AM.
I love the idea of the mod but I don't know what ear shading is? If you could tell me where and what is ear shading that would be very helpful!
Maybe you can make it a little bit easier?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th May 2020 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Smaks
I love the idea of the mod but I don't know what ear shading is? If you could tell me where and what is ear shading that would be very helpful!
Maybe you can make it a little bit easier?

Shading refers to the contouring and shadows painted on the sim's skin, like a picture of an ear on the surface of the ear mesh. Shrinking and flattening the ear leaves a line in the sim's skin where the shading doesn't match, and the skin details part covers and smooths it.

Test Subject
#14 Old 4th May 2020 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Shading refers to the contouring and shadows painted on the sim's skin, like a picture of an ear on the surface of the ear mesh. Shrinking and flattening the ear leaves a line in the sim's skin where the shading doesn't match, and the skin details part covers and smooths it.

I just figured it out but thanks for your help
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Nov 2022 at 6:11 PM
Hi Cmar! I'm sorry if this is necroing an old thread but I couldn't find where else your "No ears mod" was to leave a comment!

I love this mod, it is the smoothest no ears mod I've seen but sadly the overlay needed to make the ear area baby smooth is exactly where many of my skin overlays are I thought unmerging the file would do the trick but Sims4studio can't do it. How do I get and change the overlay file to be located somewhere else?

Many thanks!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mechamuffin
Hi Cmar! I'm sorry if this is necroing an old thread but I couldn't find where else your "No ears mod" was to leave a comment!

I love this mod, it is the smoothest no ears mod I've seen but sadly the overlay needed to make the ear area baby smooth is exactly where many of my skin overlays are I thought unmerging the file would do the trick but Sims4studio can't do it. How do I get and change the overlay file to be located somewhere else?

Many thanks!

Do you mean you want to recategorize the skin detail that covers the shading on the ears to be moles, freckles, etc.? You should be able to just open the package and change the Outfit Type to whatever you want. The package isn't merged so unmerging won't do anything.

Test Subject
#17 Old 17th Feb 2024 at 3:03 AM
pretty sure this post is abandoned but, I am having trouble making the ear preset part of this appear for alien sims. works with the disguise just fine but not the actual alien sim.
Test Subject
#18 Old 25th Feb 2024 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheAlmightySmallest
pretty sure this post is abandoned but, I am having trouble making the ear preset part of this appear for alien sims. works with the disguise just fine but not the actual alien sim.

I was searching about why my cc was not showing up in my aliens, (thanks EA -_____-) and I found this reddit post CC does not show up in CAS even after allowing it for Occults
And at the very end of the post, there's a comment of someone who did a fix for them (bless them YwY), the link is called ''no ears'' here a link to the google drive no ears