Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 6:18 PM
Default Is it possible to edit my current town in Create a World?
I'm just playing the stock Sunset Valley, but I want to add a couple of empty lots to the town. Is it possible to do that without making a whole new town/starting over and losing my sims?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 6:31 PM
Adding lots can be done if you have the Ambitions EP - and probably if you've updated your base game to at least version 1.12. Of course, finding a flat spot to add a lot to Sunset Valley is the hard part...
Alchemist
#3 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Adding lots can be done if you have the Ambitions EP - and probably if you've updated your base game to at least version 1.12. Of course, finding a flat spot to add a lot to Sunset Valley is the hard part...

The beach is pretty flat at all, but you can bulldoze bigger lots and put smaller ones on that space.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#4 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 10:03 PM Last edited by abeamt : 4th Sep 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm

Aww, see, I haven't gotten Ambitions yet, and I'm at 1.11. Is the feature included in 1.12 or in Ambitions? Also, is there no way for me to just load my town as is into CaW and edit it there?
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by abeamt
Aww, see, I haven't gotten Ambitions yet, and I'm at 1.11. Is the feature included in 1.12 or in Ambitions? Also, is there no way for me to just load my town as is into CaW and edit it there?

No. The files for the worlds are read-only. You can't edit them in CAW. It is included in the patch for the base game.

"I love you, but I've had too many meatballs!"
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 8th Sep 2010 at 12:21 AM
i am wondering the same thing because im trying to turn sunset valley into a custom town but its soo full of hills that everytime i try to lay a building down or something there is like an insane canyon there where i literally chopped the mountain. Is there any way to level the terrain down to make flat areas?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Sep 2010 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by D1n3r0
i am wondering the same thing because im trying to turn sunset valley into a custom town but its soo full of hills that everytime i try to lay a building down or something there is like an insane canyon there where i literally chopped the mountain. Is there any way to level the terrain down to make flat areas?

I've been experimenting with the new edit town features, and I suppose that you could cover the mountain in lots and flatten it down that way, but that seems like it'd be tedious, ineffective and above all else, ugly.

So, the new features do pretty much all I wanted, but I didn't find a way to make new roads. Is there?
Forum Resident
#8 Old 8th Sep 2010 at 11:49 PM
No, as far as I know, you can't make roads in World Edit: just in CAW, and if you don't have the files for the world, then you can't load them into CAW.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 4:49 AM
I've been experimenting with the new edit town features, and I suppose that you could cover the mountain in lots and flatten it down that way, but that seems like it'd be tedious, ineffective and above all else, ugly.

So, the new features do pretty much all I wanted, but I didn't find a way to make new roads. Is there?

this is exactly what I was thinking about doing. but the land in sunset valley is sooooo hilly i bet there would be messed up terrain. And there is also the whole problem with the roads not being able to be placed. xD
Test Subject
#10 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 10:21 AM
I've had success bringing a world into CAW from doing what they did in this thread,
http://linna.modthesims.info/showth...5#startcomments
retired moderator
#11 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 10:27 AM
You can get the default version of the world into CAW, but you can't get your currently played town in CAW with any changes you've made to it by saving as those are stored separately. Only the version you get if you make a new game is editable.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#12 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 7:07 PM
Yes, it is.
Here I am!

You have to find the file of the world, while in the game, and then copy it,

Then, you must paste it into the worlds fiile in CAW.
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 7:19 PM
Erm... what? Care to clarify? There are two places where installed worlds are stored. Ones that come with the games are in Program Files, installed with the base game or the EP they came with. Worlds installed through the Launcher such as Barnacle Bay or custom worlds are in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\InstalledWorlds

The contents of these .world files can be put into a .world file created with CAW to edit a default version of a world that came with the game or EPs, or a custom world.

However, the information in these .world files is not the same as the actual -played- world. That data is stored in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves\ and does not appear to be mergeable in any known way with the .world file itself to make a played version of either a default or custom world.

If it -is- mergeable, please provide MUCH more detailed information on how to do so - exact steps to take to import the pieces, etc., as this is not something we have any known documented method on, and vague instructions don't really help get us any further on this, y'know?
Test Subject
#14 Old 31st May 2011 at 3:41 PM
is there a way to crate a .world file of a saved game?
I created a city world (Simadelphia) and overall its ok but I added some things and now w the new generations ep I wold like to add more stuff in CAW any way possible. But there has to be a way, I remember seeing a world DL for riverview but it was it was empty so he must have DL it then created a file edited it in CAW to delete all the buildings, No?
or is there a way to export a saved game to upload it then DL. that should create a .world file in the installed words folder?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmer9761
No. The files for the worlds are read-only. You can't edit them in CAW. It is included in the patch for the base game.

then just un-check 'read only' :D
Test Subject
#16 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 12:22 AM
Hi, so sorry just to jump in when it's been dead for a bit but I think I might possibly have worked out how to do it...

Basically I followed the instructions to open the custom file which are posted in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=416989 (this is the above mentioned thread but I thought I'd put it in again)
But, before I opened the new world file in CAW again (after importing the other world - step 4) I also found the .nhd file for my world which was in Local Disk>The Sims 3>Saves>Name of world and imported that into a different folder (I think that that means you can change the landscape without worrying about stuff but I am writing this as I do it for the first time...)

I then opened up the original version of that world that I made in CAW and removed the Lots layer when doing Step 4 (I've changed the sizes of some of mine and moved them around, although I don't know how much of a difference this makes)
Then I imported both folders into the new world file in S3PE, (hopefully) effectively combining the houses, sims and households with the landscape.
(The .nhd file definitely works because I imported that first and opened it in CAW, only to have trees and lots floating in mid air, so fingers crossed the landscape will work too!...)

HOWEVER, I don't know whether this will work for the pre-made worlds, because the one I was doing this with was a world that I had already made in CAW (EA's programming might mess around with this...)

I don't know if anyone still needs it, but I will post again saying whether it works or not...

Either way, hope it helped!!
Test Subject
#17 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 12:29 AM
OH MY GOD I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY PRECIOUSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
(Sorry, just ignore my little freak out! I got a little excited there!)

Ok, I really hope that people still need it because I have cracked it! Just follow the instructions in my previous post and you will have your previously made world available to edit in CAW!!!!! (I hope they're understandable!!)

I'm still not sure about worlds like France, but it definitely seems to work for mine (whether I'll be export it is a different question).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 11:57 PM
Great work, CassieJ!

I tried this a while ago but had no luck:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...09.page#8089579

I think the key is probably that you removed the lots (the blue lots issue in my picture is most likely caused by duplicates). I'm curious- were the sims carried over?

So well done for figuring this out, maybe you could write a tutorial and we could put it in the CAW tutorials section.

Great work, I will be trying this for sure!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 7:49 AM
I'm just playing the stock Sunset Valley, but I want to add a couple of empty lots to the town. Is it possible to do that without making a whole new town/starting over and losing my sims?

Why not just download Sunset Valley (2nd Edition) by LynxAQ? He added many lots and also placed Ambitions and Late Night community buildings in the town. This town has become my favorite world by far.
Instructor
#20 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Great work, CassieJ!

I tried this a while ago but had no luck:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...09.page#8089579

I think the key is probably that you removed the lots (the blue lots issue in my picture is most likely caused by duplicates). I'm curious- were the sims carried over?

So well done for figuring this out, maybe you could write a tutorial and we could put it in the CAW tutorials section.

Great work, I will be trying this for sure!
Any progress on this? I've been trying myself with the steps mentioned but I constantly get corrupted CAW files and if I do finally get to export a world, it crashes the game to desktop upon loading it.

This space intentionally left blank...
Eminence Grise
#21 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 6:09 PM
Moving to CAW forum, since that's where you're more likely to get help
Forum Resident
#22 Old 7th Sep 2012 at 9:08 PM
This is very interesting. I too tried this once, with not much luck, but I'm always up for a challenge

Tonight when I'm back at my caw computer I'll try it again. Now that someone has said they got it to work, I want to do it too!

I'll update this post with my findings.
Instructor
#23 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 12:28 PM
Ooooh, I'm very interested to hear how things went!

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 1:00 PM
@Nukael- perhaps you could try it too, the more who test the better!
Instructor
#25 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 12:48 PM
I did quite a number of tests, but none of them worked... my CAW file would always get corrupted (unable to open in CAW). And unable to export.

Page 1 of 2