Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 11:44 PM Last edited by Dr_Non-sequitur : 16th Feb 2017 at 4:32 PM.
Default Trouble populating world Version 1.69
I've been trying to populate my world and haven't had much success with it.

I've created all my playable sims and sims that will be used as Service sims, saved to the Bin with nothing changed (only traits, lifetime wish), and use Porter to place them.

For the Service sims I set one or two skills, set Service, and change outfits only. For Playable Families I set 1 - 4 skills, assign carrier, level, and outfits.

Each time I save and Export this world I have the same results: When the World is first played you normally have the option to select a household already placed in this World - this option is not available. I can select Create a Sim/Family, or select a family from the Bin only. When I go to Edit-Town, I see that the Sims I placed are there and the houses are occupied - I just can't select them to play at the start of the game.

I have tried every Fix, Repair, and Clean routine available throughout the various sections of MC and DE. I have made sure the playable sims "Selectability" is correct,

I understand Sims created and given relationships with other sims (outside the immediate household) or objects, Sims that have painted, made "Nectar", written books, etc., may end with corrupted sim data if that sim is Ported. It is recommended that you use only sims fresh out of CAS with only traits and wish set. Everything else, including any skills, jobs, lifetime rewards, relationships, etc., is set after Porting them into your world.

Okay... bottom line.
* Whether using Porter or Makesim the sims are not visible when exported. All Sims are fresh from CAS.
* I reinstalled ALL of the Sims3 and EP's.
* I reinstalled CAW and fresh copies of NRaas Tools.
* I read and followed the tutorials regarding Populating worlds - pretty much the same no matter which version of the tutorial you use.

I have discussed this with the good people at NRaas and as it stands it is now believed that when NRaas Tools were updated for game version 1.69 the functionality was not verified through EIG and Export from CAW. Since NRaas Tools are primarily designed to enhance in-game play - EIG/Export with CAW seems to have been overlooked.

My question is:
Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Is there a work-around?
Aside from using NRaas Tools - is there any other method to pre-populate a world?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 9:46 AM
I can't read all that, it's just too much. Didn't you find a tutorial? It's a rather complicated process and it needs to be done right.

Perhaps you can just walk in my steps? You can find links there as well: http://www.volvenomtullarask.com/ho...opulate-a-world
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 4:41 PM
It was a little wordy... Just detailed the experiment and troubleshooting.

Yes, I have read everything available on the Net about Pre-populating worlds. Most use the one original document as the basis of their tutorial.
As I mention above - I've been discussing this problem on NRaas Forums, TSR, and here on MTS. According to NRaas there may be a problem with the NRaas Tools. The jury is still out on this and that's why I'm trying to get others input. To find out if other World Builders are having a problem pre-populating their worlds or if a solution to this problem has been found.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 6:39 PM
ok, so I guess you're looking for others who might have tried on 1.69. Have you tried populating in 1.67? I guess not. We'll just have to wait then. I've worked a lot to stay on 1.67 when I set up this new computer, so I can't help you there.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 11:13 PM
I use porter to populate my worlds all the time and I've had no problems... other than the dang graveyard. I thought I had a way to do that but I was dead wrong.
Site Helper
#6 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 6:39 PM
Ok, I'm easily amused today...

I'm not chuckling about the problem, I'm chuckling about the wording.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 10:17 PM
Me too!
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I was dead wrong.

We see what you did there!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Man, I needed to test an old laptop, so I installed TS3 basegame on there and ran it with 0 mods. I cannot believe how smooth the game is... even though it is on a duo core and an old GPU, the AIs were functioning seamlessly, the game running flawlessly on full graphics. Immediately when I go to a lot, the sims are doing something instead of standing there. I can even use the ultra speed and there is no stutter, no pauses. The textures load flawlessly with no grey meshes even though the cache is on the HDD instead of a ramdisk.

It really does make me wonder, do mods really make the game more enjoyable? or at some point it just defeat the purpose they were created? I mean, running my game on my i7 with Nvidia GPU and using all the core parking, ramdisk, and other tricks etc... I don't remember it ever ran this smooth b/c of all the mods I'm running.

Go figure.

Depends on the patch level, if you installed from an original disk and haven't patched it then that isn't a surprise, I used to run Base, WA, AMB & LN unpatched for years without any issues, even Bridgeport wasn't a problem. Pets was when it all went down the crapper, they broke so much with that EP that it isn't funny.
Scholar
#11 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 4:23 PM
Nitromon, the clue in that is "I didn't install any EPs" If you ran the base game only and all the mods it would still play better than all the EPs without the mods.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 11:27 AM Last edited by igazor : 19th Feb 2017 at 12:09 PM.
I think a couple of things are getting lost in translation here.

The OP isn't having a progression-related population problem while playing their game. They are having difficulty pre-populating a world in its design stage in the way that they want, presumably for others to use, and they don't seem to want to provide an already started and pre-populated saved game as an alternative as we suggested. Pre-populate, not propagate. This is a CAW 1.69 question, not a gameplay "why aren't my sims breeding" one and not a "how do I Porter sims into my new world that I am playing right now" kind of question either.

Also, this doesn't really have to do with NRaas mods and 1.69 specifically because the only NRaas mod that needed updating for that patch was ErrorTrap, which is not relevant here. It can't be MC or DE really, DE especially as that mod is only an interface into EA commands that we have no control over. We do think that either something changed to the extent that Porter isn't doing what it used to for worlds still in the design stage many meaning like six or seven years ago, or possibly that the new 1.69 version of CAW and CAW EIG are breaking something for them. CAW 1.69 was released later than the patch itself was. But we aren't world designers at NRaas and haven't really been able to nail down the reasons for what they are seeing with any more certainty than that.
dodgy builder
#14 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 11:51 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 19th Feb 2017 at 5:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Also, this doesn't really have to do with NRaas mods and 1.69 specifically because the only NRaas mod that needed updating for that patch was ErrorTrap, which is not relevant here. It can't be MC or DE really, DE especially as that mod is only an interface into EA commands that we have no control over. We do think that either something changed to the extent that Porter isn't doing what it used to for worlds still in the design stage many meaning like six or seven years ago, or possibly that the new 1.69 version of CAW and CAW EIG are breaking something for them. CAW 1.69 was released later than the patch itself was. But we aren't world designers at NRaas and haven't really been able to nail down the reasons for they are seeing with any more certainty than that.

I hate these structured one-by-one troubleshooting threads. I'm going to leave that to someone else. If it was that long ago, I didn't have any problems populating my world 2 years ago, other than kiwi-tea's tutorial having used the wrong command for producing a sim in eig, but I think OP found that out on his/her own, as many has done before him/her.

There is also a problem with horses, dogs and ghosts that kiwi-tea's tutorial mentiones, other's do not. That might be something to consider. I think it was kiwi-tea who originally made the Porter etc with Twallan.

I made a dog for fun of it, and put him in a role as plummer I think ... it worked like a charm, if you ignore the fact that plummers has a role to play of course. I made too many characters anyway and didn't see the dog in action, I never heard about it later either. I guess it would have been mentioned if a dog appeared, so the mods may just have exposed with him.

Edit: The rest of you don't know what you're talking about, but that's fine, just talk somewhere else.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 12:44 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 19th Feb 2017 at 1:06 PM.
@Dr_Non-sequitur I asked mods to move this thread to the right forum: http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=616

Perhaps you will get some attention from the right people in there.

Quote: Originally posted by Dr_Non-sequitur
It was a little wordy... Just detailed the experiment and troubleshooting.

Sure, I get that. It's just me. I don't have a lot of patience and concentration. I'll see if I can reread my own population, perhaps I can see where you did something different. Because as igazor and Emmet Brown says it doesn't seem to be the patchlevel.

I'm just wondering if @Emmett Brown using Porter to populate finished worlds is relevant to a world under construction in EIG. It might not be.

Another thing I'm wondering about is I remember actually giving them houses and putting them there. I think I had 3 different groups and doing different things to each group. I think I put townies in just a random empty house and NPC's I put into jobs with Porter I think.

It was just a lot to think about and very complicated.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It really does make me wonder, do mods really make the game more enjoyable? or at some point it just defeat the purpose they were created? I mean, running my game on my i7 with Nvidia GPU and using all the core parking, ramdisk, and other tricks etc... I don't remember it ever ran this smooth b/c of all the mods I'm running.

My latest kick is to play with only a few mods and EPs.

I keep NRAAS MC, MC Cheats, Porter and debug installed because they're essential to populate worlds, and I hate it when I go to edit in game and they're not there.

I've noticed that EPs tend to step on one another - for example, if you use Supernatural alone, then the Skill Booster and Potent Skill Booster potions work. But one of the other EPs, not sure which one, renders them inoperative. Even EA can't make a good mod sometimes.

Then there's the mods that bring the game to a stop at 3 AM game time. To me, that's time to get more coffee. Ended up getting too much coffee.

It took me awhile to purge all the CC clothing that made some sims, usually teenagers, look like they were the volunteer in a magician's "Saw the woman in half" magic trick that went horribly bad. I mean the clothes are nice and all, but being cut in half like in "Beetlejuice" defeats the purpose.