Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 8:55 PM
Can I get your opinion on the house I built?
Whenever I play Sims 3, I always have trouble designing the house. I'm playing on the biggest lot so I felt like I should make the house bigger too, but IDK. Now it's very hard to keep track of each Sim, and unless they're running it takes forever for them to get anywhere.

Can you make any suggestions to make it better?

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 9:45 PM
Well, first off, this belongs in the Creator Feedback forum, not the general discussion.

Otherwise, I personally like the decoration and furniture, but the house looks rather "block"-ish, which personally doesn't bother me, but I know that block-houses are generally very fast to be rejected on MTS. Also, it'd be neat to see a pic of the outside, all the way up to the roof.

C-A
Scholar
#3 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 10:04 PM
Nice work on the stairs, but like CatMuto said, it looks a little blockish. And the furniture outside is a no. There's too much going on, and those things belong in a basement.
Instructor
#4 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 6:38 AM
I don't really give feedback on houses, I just had to mention, that I actually like the furniture/clutter outside. For me personally, it's not a no.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 7:09 AM
Hmm, it's difficult for me to give you specific ideas on this. The rooms most certainly could be smaller or more cluttered. As a general rule of thumb, most house are rectangular (with of course separate interest which isn't quote rectangular). This is often longer width wise, but some houses are longer. Lot sizes which are square are best fit for a large backyard, with a pool and such. Large lots/houses do have big rooms somewhat, but they mostly have a lot of extra rooms. Like a study, gym, hobby room, et cetera. When first starting to build I'd also suggest a 20X30 or 30X30 lot size. What helps me is looking at pictures of a house, front, back or the inside. Floor plans are also helpful. I still loosely look at pictures of a house to base it off, because otherwise I'm not sure where to take my house. Utilizing these suggestions, I think you'll find it to be a lot easier to build something. But building isn't a quick proposition. Even a smaller house can take a few hours. Good luck .
Scholar
#6 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 12:58 PM
Would it be possible to see pictures of the exterior? I think this would help in order for people to give more feedback too.
I have to say, your style looks very much to be focused on playability rather than appearance. It's kind of refreshing to see this, hopefully this element can be preserved somehow while putting more focus and attention on appearance too.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 4:10 PM
as far as i understood you: this is not a house you want to upload and share. its your house that you find hard to play in (cause its big) and you like people to give some advice, right?
what do you think of generally saving space (rooms) when trying to build multi-purpose rooms and combining rooms further.
like e.p the dining room. its huge and the right section (that actually only has a 1-tile table + 3 chairs) seems to be neglectible. you could use this space e.p. for the bathroom. just one example for saving space.

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Jun 2014 at 12:39 AM
shmovese is right you'll need to combine some objects to have spaces that only fit to your need not a wider space. nice work on your stairs

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Forum Resident
#9 Old 7th Jun 2014 at 10:05 AM
also a really fundamental advice i completely forgot:
choosing "the biggest lot" may not advisable if you know you have a strong tendency for expansion. a lot of a lot may seduce you to think big (and build big)
you could try choosing smaller lots and see if the necessity to save space solves your problem the next time you start a new family

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 1:52 AM
Hmm, it's very tough to figure out how to build a house. I don't know how architects do it. Before I wasn't very clear, I'm not planning on uploading the house onto any websites. It's just personal use.

@CatMuto: How do I get away from blockishness? Should it be less symmetrical?

@juansfalcin: Outside furniture, do you mean the bench or the random items on the ground? I know I should probably put in some plants and flowers, but I was more focused on the house itself. Eventually I'm planning on putting a pool in the backyard as well.

@Original_Sim and @Tigerdyhr: I should make the rooms smaller or clutter up wide-open spaces. I can try this, but I was afraid of slowing down my PC with too many objects.

@simsgal2227: I've tried using floor plans on three separate occasions, but I just couldn't get it to look right.

@Fergus' Mind: Yep, I try to put more emphasis on efficiency than prettiness. In the last incarnation the house was pretty much a box, easy to get around, and I built extra rooms as needed. (Old house: https://misterwolfelegacy.files.wor...reenshot011.jpg)

@Shmovese: I've gotten rid of the second dining room, nobody was eating in the same room. How can I make a multi-purpose room? Like putting the TV, computer desk, and bookshelves all in the same room?

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Instructor
#11 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 4:59 AM
EDIT: Creator Feedback should be for uploading to MTS (as to what I know). Though I believe the moderators will decide on where to put this.

Don't hate me for perhaps sounding impolite. I'm sorry.
1. I think that you should change the exterior walls of the house to something else. I wouldn't want to live in a house made up of timber frames and planks. I know that you want somehting brown-ish to go with the roof, and the roof's a good choice, but you can always use Create-a-Style to recolour the walls. I believe that brick walls can be good.

2. The parking space is, ehm... Perhaps you can consider a garage unattached to the house. It looks plain strange when you place wood planks beneath the park strange. Maybe you can use terrain paints too. It's a good idea to place some greening around it if you follow the "outdoor parking" idea.

3. Please, the money tree, is ehm.... I believe that making some sort of experimental lair in the basement, putting the money tree there. You can also put a small nectary in the basement, consisting of your Nectar Machine and racks.

4. GET RID OF THE SCULTPURE IN THE FRONT YARD!!

5. Create-a-style is your friend. It helps furniture go coherent in the same style.

6. Why, oh why, OH WHY?! Why so many treasure chests?

That said, (if you aren't upset and would continue to read on), I appreciate your idea to build an efficiency home. Perhaps you can look at Lamare's Legacy Manor. It is a house balancing the "looks and functions". I used to build something like this. But with time you'll find out that it's even more fun to build an efficient, functional house in style! Don't give up, my friend!
Instructor
#12 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 7:33 AM
Oh, I didn't mean more clutter. Just that I don't mind a bit of well placed clutter outside (like the nectarmaker, a couple of flower vases, the drying line, the easel etc).
Scholar
#13 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 12:20 PM
To get away from blockishness, I'd say add a little something to a room. Instead of having a square living room with the dining area next to it, why not create an L-Shaped room, which would even serve a visual separation between a relaxation area and the dining area. I personally, when I make a little study area where an author can use the computer, I make a little room off the living room, make it sunny and all.
I saw a nice tutorial on this page or done by a Mike guy years ago. For Sims 2, but the overall idea is still the same.

C-A
Scholar
#14 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 1:07 PM
It's interesting, but I think you should consider changing the windows you've used and consider where they are placed as the current layout isn't very easy on the eye. I think I'd personally do away with those two-tile shuttered windows from WA and use some more of the one-tile windows you've used already. I think maybe what you should do with the exterior and interior is adopt a real-life existing style, definitely one of the more utilitarian styles, possibly even the Craftsman style, the exterior you've created already lends itself very nicely and the idea behind the Craftsman style is quite utilitarian in comparison with its predecessors so I think it would be very fitting. If you like, I can dig out a couple of examples you could use as inspiration for altering the aesthetic of your rather interesting creation?
Forum Resident
#15 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 12:00 PM
yes multipurpose in the sense of having rooms with many purposes like a "hobby room" with e.p. the computer, desk, bookshelves an easel etc... in one room. the goal is combining usable objects which is not only saving space but has additionally the nice effects that your sims keep closer together and chance for interaction is higher then. maybe they sit together -one reading - the other one painting... i personally like to have a bookshelf in my kitchen. so maybe one sims is eating and the other one is studying at the same time;- and the like. (i call the the university effect cause its like on campus)

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 6:01 AM
Default Can I get your opinion on the house I built?
um

evyonne circle
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 4:00 PM
This thread is over 3 years old!