Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:16 AM Last edited by Prime : 16th Jun 2017 at 11:48 PM.
Default [SOLVED] Getting error message for trying to get guid for window object? help?
i'm trying to clone and make a copy of this sims 2 window (the SPACE OPERA WINDOW to be exact) and when i try to get the GUID i get this error message, and this is happening:

^i can't change the GUID, does anyone know how i can fix this? please help ♥

if u need more information, just ask.
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:41 AM
Another post about the problem.

It's the SimPE website, not SimPE itself. You can still change a GUID: just edit the textbox, click update, and commit. The "Get GUID" link just brings up the interface to the website/database.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 11:49 AM
I keep a spreadsheet of my used and unused GUIDs (plus some leftover GUIDs from other creators who have stopped creating and given me their GUID blocks), so when the database isn't working I can just copy in the GUIDs manually and make a note in the spreadsheet of which GUID is for which object.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 5:44 AM Last edited by Prime : 16th Jun 2017 at 5:57 AM.
should i just use any random number?
And here's some more questions i had:
Scholar
#5 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 4:13 PM
Don't use 'any random number' if you intend to share.
No two items may have the same GUID ever.
Unless you know what you are doing never change the Orig. GUID.
Changing the Fallback GUID to match the GUID will cause the item to be removed from lots once removed from the download folder, leaving it alone will usually cause it to be replaced by a default Maxis item once removed from the download folder. In this case, a window sims would be better off if it is replaced by a Maxis window.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 4:38 PM
@Prime
MSD linked you to another post about the database problem. Did you even read the posts there? I said that the German site works - so you can log in to the database and assign GUIDs that way. You paste the name of your mesh in the box and it will assign a GUID for it. https://sims.ambertation.de/de/ - click GUID and log in, then click "Objekt registrieren", type (or paste) in the name of your object then click on the little box with objekt registrieren - it will then give you a GUID to copy into the OBJD. (It works because I just tried it.)

As for the GUIDs - each OBJD does need it's own GUID. As for those other fields? You want to leave "Orig." and "Fallback GUID" alone, don't change anything. Since you're working with windows, if you want your windows to have a diagonal version you DO need to edit the "Diagonal GUID" and "Grid Align GUID" - the GUID for your straight window needs to be pasted into the "Grid Align GUID" box of your DIAGONAL window and the GUID for your diagonal window needs to be pasted into the "Diagonal GUID" box of your STRAIGHT window. If you don't do that and your window has a diagonal version, the window will revert to the window you cloned on diagonal walls. If this is too confusing to understand (I tend to either under or over explain stuff) check Numenor's profile - he has a post explaining it all.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 11:38 PM
oh yeah i found the German site i got it to work
thank you all
Test Subject
#8 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 2:35 AM
I'm getting the same error message, but I don't already have an account, so I can't log in from the website. When I try to make an account, it says it's not available. I tried just making a WordPress account, but that isn't working either. What do I do?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 10:15 AM
Go to Tools -> Object Tools -> Hash Generator and generate a random one.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.