Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 1:02 PM
Default Was TS3 World Adventures released in France, China and Egypt?
I’d like to know if The Sims 3 WA was released in the countries your Sims could visit in game.

I am the owner and streamer of Twitch Plays The Sims.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 6:28 PM
Why wouldn't it be? The Sims is available in those countries and always has been as far as I'm aware.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Site Helper
#4 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 8:18 PM
I may be hallucinating, but I think there was a thread ages ago when it was first released, with someone from France asking if the stereotypes in the sims hometown were as bad as the France stereotypes in WA were. (And asking how to get rid of all the men and women standing along the riverbank singing different songs at the same time.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 9:49 PM
I've kind of wondered, over the years, how faithful The Sims is to American culture. Obviously it's a genericized, more "friendly" version of American culture, but it's still distinctly American and not something else. And I kind of like that. Whenever I create something in The Sims or in some other thing I tend to default to a sort of generic, "default" Western culture. Being Dutch, and with Dutch culture being pretty close to "generic" culture, The Sims kind of reflects how I see Western culture as a whole.

But since the WA worlds are all kind of overdone and stereotyped for effect, I wonder if the same is true about the vanilla game.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#7 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:24 AM
[QUOTE=GrijzePilion]I've kind of wondered, over the years, how faithful The Sims is to American culture. Obviously it's a genericized, more "friendly" version of American culture, but it's still distinctly American and not something else. And I kind of like that. Whenever I create something in The Sims or in some other thing I tend to default to a sort of generic, "default" Western culture. Being Dutch, and with Dutch culture being pretty close to "generic" culture, The Sims kind of reflects how I see Western culture as a whole.QUOTE]

Parts of the original game were definitely evocative of 1950s suburbia: Sims only lived in detached houses far from one another, and when they visit one another, they come bearing gifts of fruitcake or chocolates. I didn't appreciate how dated but lovely that was until later!
dodgy builder
#8 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 12:51 PM
We had an Egyptian member constantly complaining about how Egyptians was portrayed in the game.
Scholar
#9 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
And for Sunset Valley itself.

It does'nt really give me a feel of a specific place, beside being warm, sunny, and beachy that is.

Head Canon:

Sunset Valley is in Central California
Riverview is in Indiana or Michigan
Twin Brooke is in Louisiana
Appalousa Plains is in Missouri
Starlight Shores is in Southern California
Bridgeport is NYC as seen by someone who has only been there one day in November, and it was raining
Moonlight Falls is in Washington

I just want an East Coast location where the sun rises behind the sea and the buildings are a mix of eras. That's it.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
We had an Egyptian member constantly complaining about how Egyptians was portrayed in the game.

And a Chinese one, too. It might be an eastern trait; I doubt any Frenchman could get particularly upset over any inaccuracies, let alone a Nordic who has played Aurora Skies.

insert signature here
Theorist
#12 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 9:24 PM
Pretty sure we established before that Sunset Valley is supposed to be a very touristy, westernized area of the Caribbean, like its real-life namesake.
And yeah, my Chinese girlfriend buries her head into her hands at Shang Simla. But hey, it's just a caricature of China! A cartoon version, if you will.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Theorist
#14 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 9:52 PM Last edited by tizerist : 14th Dec 2017 at 10:19 PM.
The caribbean SV was a 90% twin of the TS3 version. I cannot find it in google now. I think it was in Dominica. Matrix (member here) will possibly remember the topic (on tombraiderforums.com). But anyone who saw the evidence had no doubt that was where EA modelled the town on.

EDIT: It was this thread. Post 5552. Photobucket, you will go to hell for what you have done.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...979#post5435979

EDIT 2: And here's both RL and TS3 versions together in my photobucket (page 10) I can no longer bring up the full image. Again, Photobucket, you suck rotten eggs.
http://s247.photobucket.com/user/ti...?sort=3&page=11

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Theorist
#16 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 10:37 PM
Yeah I can't find anything either by searching. But back in 2011, it came up rather easily. And according to my TRF post, i got that info from an EA guru tweet.
Village / Town? I dunno. But I do know, that SV is inspired by a place in Dominica with the same name. And it wasn't just a villa. It was an area.
At the time I researched that rather extensively.

I think you missed my edit, where I showed both SV's. Here, on page 10.
http://s247.photobucket.com/user/ti...?sort=3&page=10

#BlairWitchPetition
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 10:52 PM
Mad Poster
#19 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 11:05 PM
It's interesting to note that all the EA worlds in TS3, except for Isla Paradiso and most Store worlds, have a distinctly American setting. Except it isn't considering the same is true for the other Sims games, too. The Sims is set in SimNation, and it's just another country in some sort of parallel universe.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Moonlight Falls is Pacific Northwest

That explains why it rains so much in my game! I keep setting it to the climate pattern I'm used to (Southern California), and it keeps setting back to Seattle.
#22 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

I used to be an active member of this site forum and haven't seen real genuine Egyptian member on MTS complained about Egyptians (In Al Simhara world) portrayal.

If you mean the banned member Harvee, he is not Egyptian. He's American. He admitted himself he is American, does not have Egyptian blood and has never gone to Egypt country.
Just an American who's obsessed with Egyptian thing, lied to everyone saying himself Egyptian because he's afraid of being accused "cultural appropriation".

Sorry to drag member's name here, but because he's banned and ever LIED to everyone on this site saying in one Sims Discussion thread that he's Egyptian live in Egypt, told story (in one MTS group) that he's tourist guide in Egypt which is LIE, played pretending way too far he's even saying himself Egyptian-American, he was even faking broken English to make people on MTS see him as non-native English speaker... That's not right. I feel I need to tell the truth. Although he had shared information about inaccuracies of Al Simhara portrayal, for example, Nile river is supposed to be really vast and wide in real life compared to portrayal in Al Simhara world that is really narrow, complained about portrayal of mummy that seems disrespectful, and others.. But still, he's not Egyptian. He looked Egypt from foreigner's eyes (who must be look from outside appearance and obtained the information via googling). What I've ever heard about Egyptian complaining related to TS3 WA is that they (Egyptians) don't like to be called Arabs, in official TS3 forum.

If you want genuine answer from people live in those countries (Egypt / China / France), better ask to person who lives in that actual country or at least person who has blood / ethnicity / descent from that country and still practicing that country's traditional custom. Experience from inside culture tells more rather than information about country looked from foreigner's eyes. which is usually from outside appearance and obtained via googling.

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 11:55 PM
That seems like a pretty lame thing to do. Then again, if I were an American I wouldn't exactly go around being proud of myself, either.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#24 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 7:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
That seems like a pretty lame thing to do. Then again, if I were an American I wouldn't exactly go around being proud of myself, either.

Yep, America is sooooooooooooo bad that is why people come there the most of any country in the world. By far.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles...-the-world.html
Page 1 of 4