Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 2:57 AM Last edited by gelis : 16th Dec 2017 at 3:27 AM.
Default Need more specific info about CPU and GPU related to sims 3
I'm looking for a pc that can run sims 3 with all EPs, CC, shaders and large custom worlds as smoothly as possible. Sometimes I create CC and modify worlds so load times also matter to me. Yes, sims 3 will never be lag free blah blah and I do use CC magic, Nraas, disabled memories etc.

I think I have the general idea what I need but I have no clue which are better even if I stare at stuff like this http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...600K/3515vs3503

I mean it does say which one is faster but sims 3 can only use 2 cores so I dunno what's optimal for my situation. I just don't want to pick the one that is newer or more expensive and expect it to be better especially since my goal is to just play sims 3 smooth as possible.

Which processor would be the best for the usage I have described above?
Intel Core i5 6600K Skylake-S 3.5GHz 6MB
Intel Core i7 6700K Skylake 3.4GHz 8MB
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz
Intel G4560 3.5GHz
Intel i5 4460
Amd 8350 4.0ghz

Same for the graphics card:
GeForce GTX 1080
GeForce GTX1060 EXOC 6GB
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
GeForce GTX980 G1 4GB
Windforce GTX 970 OC 4GB
Gainward GTX 970 4GB

Other things I have decided I want is 8gb or 16gb DDR4 RAM, and SSD big enough to fit the OS and the sims.

Thanks for your help!
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 4:37 AM
What's your budget? If money is not an issue, just go for how much you're willing to spend for each component. And when your projected next hardware upgrade would be and factor the age of the components over how much longer life-span it may have, based on your gameplay style and PC usage. Because, as you know and have expressed above, higher specs and more expensive components is no guarantee for a smooth Sims 3 gameplay.

As for the benchmarks, only you can say if spending $200 more is worth it to get a CPU ranked 21 levels lower based on synthetic benchmark tests for CPU speed, and not actual Sims 3 gameplay. Note the sample sizes of each CPU benchmarked values also differ. Also noting that the benchmarks do not take into account the GPU+RAM+SSD combos of the benchmarked systems. It is just a ladder ranking based on CPU clock speed versus the ranking from users which place the i7 as 38 levels higher over the i5.

All those components would work for Sims 3, depending on your gameplay style, Saves' file size and the CC folder sizes, and of course, the inherent and perennial lags.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 4:58 AM
Oh, sorry just noticed your reply!

I ended up getting a new prebuild with gtx 1050 because it was very heavily discounted!

It is good but for the first time ever I downloaded the HQ (in 2560) mod and now it takes forever to get sims and pets rendered in high detail. They stay in the low mesh form for ages whenever I pan the screen away from them and then return. I would have thought that gtx 1050 could have handled a HQ mod with a 2009 game lol