Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 5:08 AM Last edited by XTigerBite86 : 23rd Mar 2010 at 1:30 AM.
Default What the Saddest Game that You Ever Played?
A question for the MTS community. Pretty much a game that made you drop a few tears. And I want answers from the guys too. LOL. Also go into some details why you chose that game. I would like to hear from the you guys first before I post mine.

SPOILER ALERT

I forgot to mention this but this section would contain SPOILERS. You've been warn.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 6:25 PM
In Mass Effect 2 there was a mission to go back and collect the dog tags of your previous crew and I cried when the flashback cut scenes would come up on different locations. It was like memories of those people that died and you knew them well from the first game. The game itself isnt sad, but that scene made me cry. My fiance made fun of me for it, but I thought it was depressing. The music made it even worse.

Call me Sasha
Funny how when your a kid, you dream about your future and when you are an adult, you dream about going back to when you were a kid.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 7:29 PM
Final Fantasy VII makes me cry when Aerith dies... It's more painful than FF X's ending.
FFVII, the saddest game, IMO.

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Mar 2010 at 8:56 PM
Games like Rise of Nations, CivCity Rome etc. Every time I spend an hour planing out how the whole region is built or how the city is laid, I always comeback to find it it changed somehow when I revisit the region or when I progress through out the missions.

Really annoying. *Tear*
Theorist
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 12:04 AM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 23rd Mar 2010 at 2:07 AM.
The saddest game? It would be a tie between Chrono Trigger and F.E.A.R.

[spoilers]

In Chrono Trigger the main hero is lost in time toward the end, and you must continue the game with the second in command. If you get the good ending, however, after the credits you see the second in command running towards a mysterious door. Inside the door, running toward the camera, is the silhoutte of the main hero.

In F.E.A.R. the sad part is found on the last level. Alma's rage is understandable, though etherial, and the worst thing is that there is nothing you can do to have her rest in peace.

[/spoilers]

Another sad game is a Masters of Orion clone. I can't remember the name anymore, but I think it was something like Galactic Imperium, or Imperial Galaxy ( NOT Galactic Civilization ). It was sad game in the same way that Gigli was a sad movie - both were absolute disasters in what they were trying to achieve.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 1:28 AM
lovetadraw you're right. FFVII was pretty sad. After I level up Aerith pretty high and got her final limit break (forgot what but which was very useful), the next thing you know she dies. The real hero of that game if you ask me. FFX was sad too but you kind of knew that was going to happen.

For me the game I thought was pretty sad is The Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360. You have to understand the hero of that game. Kaim, who can't ever die but wants to die because he had seen too many death. He had so many wives and kid but they all age and die but not him. He stays young. Plus all those memory that he remembers throughout the game were very touching and how they were told. Yeah I know very cliche for the JRPGs on how the main character lost his memory but it works. If I was Kaim and live that long, I would also want to die too.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 2:37 AM
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Knowing the fate waiting the Exile and Revan and knowing they must leave behind so many good friends breaks my frozen heart. D: And the two robots... Please don't take the roboooots! ;_;
And that slow soundtrack as you see the spaceships going into nothingness.... *weeps*

You want to know the Secret... so did I. Low in the dust I sought it, and on high. No agony of any mortal brain shall wrest the secret of the life of man. The Search has taught me that the Search is vain.
Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 3:18 AM
Bioshock (1) ending
SPOILER!! SPOILER!! SPOILER!!

There are three endings but the happy ending is the one that counts.
Happy ending~
Save and rescue all the little sisters at every opportunity to brihg them to the surface.
Once on the surface they lead normal productive lives.
In turn they become your family and will be at your bedside when you die T_T
Not a completely sad ending but its sadly...happy T_T
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 11:34 PM
I'll have to give the nod to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

One of the most emotionally engaging narratives in gaming and a genuine heart-breaker.

Zoe and Faith's parting had me bawl like a little schoolgirl. :P

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Test Subject
#10 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 5:37 AM
I would say Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3.

It had three deaths that nearly brought me to tears (and I rarely cry).

The first was a drawn out sequence where you encounter a wounded enemy soldier who, despite all efforts to save him, dies.

The second is a heartwarming scene involving two of the most loved characters in the team, which gets cut short. The following few minutes are nothing less than tear-jerking and gut-wrenching.

The final one is a noble sacrifice which puts an end to the most badass character as well as the most despicable character in the game. Mixed feelings, but the sense of loss lingers after the scene ends.
retired moderator
#11 Old 13th Apr 2010 at 3:19 AM
Actually I must admit to misty eyes when Rosie sings her song at you-know-who's grave.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Scholar
#12 Old 13th Apr 2010 at 5:09 AM
It's not an especially strong example, but Icewind Dale has several sad moments scattered throughout the game. One example: In the town you start in (I forget the name), there is a fisherman who has dreams of a water nymph singing to him. The story of the water nymph's love for his long-dead ancestor, as well as the fisherman's wistfulness about the dreams after you help him get rid of them both make me a little sad. The music from that game really amplifies the effect too. The musical selections for the first town and for Kuldahar are really sad and wistful-sounding.

I know that there are other games that have made me sad, but no others are coming to mind right now.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 12:26 PM
My brother played Chrono Trigger and that didn't happen. Hmm.. Actually that's like one of those really annoying "were too lazy to make a solid story so we put random things together so that you have to tell the story" games. I hate ultra non linear games, don't ask why.

Oh... Aerith.... My BFF hates Aerith and loves that scene. See, from clouds POV, I prefer Aerith.

The ending of Kingdom Hearts (1) is pretty sad. And the part in FFVIII where Rinoa/Linoa/Lenore floats into space is a tear jerker. As I recall, she had several names depending on where it was released. Just trying to keep things straight.

Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 3:55 AM
Actually the story of Chrono Trigger is very solid, it just jumps around a lot because of the time travel. Nothing lazy about Chrono Trigger at all. In fact it was extremely innovative for its day.

Forum Resident
#15 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 3:12 PM
Maybe lazy is the wring word. If I want to tell a story I will, but when I play a game, I prefer the story be told to me. A lot of newer games do that. It's just me. If I have to choose everything, then why play a game? Why not just stay in the real world?

Oddly, I love the sims.

Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 29th Apr 2010 at 4:09 AM
The last time I bawled like a baby because of a video game was at the end of Fable II, when I picked the Needs of the Few, and the little message popped up, It was the part at the end where it said something like "your dog will never leave your side again."
I watched the dog that I grew up with put down a few years ago. And since then anything about dog mortality makes me cry. ._.
But yeaaa, More in Fable 2, I thought the stuff surrounding Oakvale was particularly sad. (The Snowglobe from Murgo? Yea thats Oakvale. Go look at the drowned farm and the bit of Oakvale you can see. its the sammeee.)
Banned
#17 Old 5th May 2010 at 12:16 PM
The end of Metal Gear Solid 3 is really sad - Snake learns about The Boss's lost child and how history will never tell the truth about her great deeds.

GTA Vice City Stories has a weepy moment too: after the penultimate mission where Armando Mendez is killed, Vic has to say goodbye to Louise after which she dies from her grievous torture wounds.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 5th May 2010 at 8:54 PM
Hmmmmm, that is a really good question. I actually ave only cried at my mom and dad's funerals. But let's see, something that made me sad. Oh I know this one, Medal of Honor, Pacific Assault director's edition.

SPOILER ALERT

During the last mission after Frank dies (EVEN if you save him he dies in the last mission) when Your guy is talking about the new guys who just got put on the ship to absorb machine gun fire to get the experianced guys on the beach, and during the pearl harbor, the audio is insane, all the people screaming, the fire, the music, it sometimes makes me sad.
Instructor
#19 Old 14th May 2010 at 12:24 PM
Lol, at the answer above! XD

For me, the first game that made me cry was Final Fantasy X, in some scenes tears in others, waterfalls (ending). Never thought another game would pull out more emotions but I was wrong.

Lost Odyssey. The most tear inducing game I've ever played. Many sad scenes*, in which the voice acting is top notch, also sad memories bits (for those who never played it, they're small parts of the game where the characters remember their past, it is in form of a story, you read it and there's ambience sounds/music and such, the images are minimalistic). I've never been much of a reader but I got so moved by those, they're written by a professional Japanese author and it makes me wish more games would do that.

* SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The best example, when Kaim finds his long thought dead daughter Lirium but she's on her deathbed, sick. There was such powerful emotions in that scene. If anyone cares, check it out on youtube.
Scholar
#20 Old 17th May 2010 at 6:11 PM
Chinese RPG, The Tale of Swordsman and Fairy.

Very sad ending.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Inventor
#21 Old 17th May 2010 at 6:28 PM
I actually found Neverwinter nights sad. There is a bit that isn't vital to the game; there is this town that have been cursed by having time not moving. There is this mystery and I accused the wrong person and so the guy who went free killed all of the village. That was sad.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
retired moderator
#22 Old 17th May 2010 at 11:45 PM
Not the saddest game but certainly depressing is Kerry Turner's flash game - Enough.

In it you play a little rabbit hopping about a field at night avoiding bats who are out to do bunny harm. The problem is that as a player you want to avoid the bats however, as our long eared pal continuously protests, the rabbit has had enough and just wants to die. It is a conflict between player and character that is a little disturbing. The game does not end until you grant the rabbit the peace in death they so desire.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 18th May 2010 at 10:56 AM
This one: http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php...=detail&id=1303

It's a short game. I got chills all over my body when I realized what it was about, and it doesn't have a happy ending.

I think it will haunt a player for a while afterward, especially if you realize where the basis for the game came from. It's obvious that the developers did some research for it.

Spoiler? No. I think everyone should learn these lessons, and you will in real life. Sad but true.
retired moderator
#24 Old 19th May 2010 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
This one: http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php...=detail&id=1303

It's a short game. I got chills all over my body when I realized what it was about, and it doesn't have a happy ending.

I think it will haunt a player for a while afterward, especially if you realize where the basis for the game came from. It's obvious that the developers did some research for it.

Spoiler? No. I think everyone should learn these lessons, and you will in real life. Sad but true.

Thank you for this.

What a beautiful adventure title and quite stirring.

The message is dealt with a little heavy handedly towards the end but the quality of the voice acting - particularly Amber's at the climax - still managed to wrench the heart some.

Even from a technical stand point it is one of the best looking Adventure Game Studios title I've seen.

Instructor
#25 Old 19th May 2010 at 12:38 PM
The Sims 2.

When your favorite sims you play since he still a baby, grow up, getting older and then die because of old age.........that really shocking and sad. All his dream, story, and everything just gone.

Page 1 of 5