Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 8:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
I'm currently in the process of removing a lot of cc, previously installed with the Launcher, and re-installing it with CCMagic. I'm hoping it will streamline the game a bit. A useful feature of that program is that use can set up different configurations, with stuff disabled if you're not using it in the particular save you're playing. For example, I have a huge amount of Medieval stuff, which is mainly used for story telling, and a lot of it is really just set dressing. There's no point in having it clogging up the works if I'm playing in some modern day world.

Per my post above, I use packages and have it sorted for different worlds/uses. Like you, I want only what I need in the game there when I am playing. With packages I can manage my content so easily.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#52 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 9:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CuteCuteSimChild
MY game lagged a lot and it wasn't good as I've been wanting to make videos on it but with it's lagging it's impossible to make a good one.
And it was a load of frustration.

I remember your post as being hardly readable the first time I saw it. How curious I have a very short attention span, and I thought I better stay out.

A lagging ts3 is no new thing, and finding the right tips might be troublesome. You should post in sims3help instead, if it's still alive that is. It seems to be very quiet here these days.

Don't worry about the troubleshooting though, just get on with it and the solution might be easier to find than you think. Did you chech out the mts troublshooting guide. Many people ditch it, but it's very useful to provide a list to go through. Find it under the help menu at the top. Some of the tips might seem outdated, but don't let that encourage you. After all ts3 is an old game. Some new tips might not be there though, reach for the community for those.

... oh yes, I might have said something you knew already, just ignore it. The obvious should never be underestimated.
Scholar
#54 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 3:40 PM
I wouldn't be so sure - if it is *that mod* (I mean *THAT*) it has a lot of not really reasonable features (almost "a clinical case" of "feature frenzy") which can be turned off, but still are messing around, and it definitelly breaks pregnancies on not controlled sims, this may be not visible from beginning, but it's growing with short time.

This and other problematic stuff may be probably corrected if there would be a habit of publishing the mod compiled with source files, unfortunatelly that said habit not exists within community. (there's probably some dirty soluton and not well thought code used to place sims in desired places also for managing the stuff, something is broken also with menus' additions which slows them down too much, I'd say maybe conditions are checked in wrong order - it's very popular mistake, however it's just observing speculation, no code avaible)

One of the 1st iterations of *that mod* was almost clean (except dirty coding and lack of tolerance for ErrorTrap) without all these added later "better stuff" and worked just almost as animation player. Though it is missing in the void of the Internet now.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#55 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 3:53 PM
The developer is not likely going to want her product open sourced since she is charging users by way of Patreon for its development.
Scholar
#56 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 4:44 PM
really? Apparently I'm seriously out of the loop. Isn't that kinda violation of EULA? For that reason alone I'd steer away from an author.

In regard to the community habits in general - there's no practice, as far as I can say - to show the kitchen (source) anyway. It's quite sad and unfortunate.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
#57 Old 13th Feb 2019 at 4:51 PM
Twallan left the NRaas mods as open sourced upon his retirement as his parting gift to the community (and us) and they remain so, although I'm not sure that the most recent updates of 2018 have made it up to where they are available as our developer fell a bit behind there. Or it might be the latest beta testing versions that aren't up there, am sure he would be happy to clarify if anyone is interested. But no, it's not an exceptionally common practice.

And if I had mods myself that were still in active development, am not sure I would want anyone who sought them out to be able to get into the source code. Guess it would depend on what I was doing exactly.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 14th Feb 2019 at 2:26 AM
They changed the line spacing on these here forums and it's really throwing me off. I like it but it's so distracting that I'll probably won't be able to read a comment for its content for a few hours.

And for the record - the line is drawn at availability of said content. I Patron Understrech, who makes great vehicles for TS3 at an amazing rate, and his policy is that his Patrons get two weeks early, and a say in what he makes next. If it's content for the game it has to be available freely within a reasonable amount of time (I'd draw the line at a month). Of course, on sites like AroundTheSims there is donator-only content that won't ever be released publicly, but it's mostly small decorative objects and simple furnishings that no one is going to find particularly essential. Sandy makes up for it, I feel, it'd be unreasonable for her to get in trouble over it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#60 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 12:15 AM
@nitromon there's another one on "that site we call to dare not there", an author is claiming it's compatible with Nraas and without these messy "additional features". I did not test its new versions, so I won't vouch for it.

@igazor I understand your point, I rather was contemplating overall community customs. I'd say that sources may be benefitial (not mandatory) for educational purposes, error catching, good practices and finally keeping things going. But maybe I'm just outdated, romantic toad, who still cannot grow Stallmans' beard.

Inventor
#61 Old 17th Feb 2019 at 1:39 AM
I just tested the loading time of an already existing save game in Moonlight Falls. Every EP, SP installed + 2GB of Store/custom content + some mods. Running on an Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Speed: +500 Mb/s).

It takes less than a minute:

I love how responsive the game is upon loading. I can instantly begin playing.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 5:08 PM
A little thing but I'm certain the boats (not the house boats but the smaller boats Sims use as taxis to go between islands) from IP cause lag. I've been trying to find a good replacement for Isla Paradiso but even the smallest world I tried is lagging as badly as Isla Paradiso & I'm certain it is those small boats doing it.
Inventor
#63 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Leo5
A little thing but I'm certain the boats (not the house boats but the smaller boats Sims use as taxis to go between islands) from IP cause lag. I've been trying to find a good replacement for Isla Paradiso but even the smallest world I tried is lagging as badly as Isla Paradiso & I'm certain it is those small boats doing it.

I've been playing for a while in Sim Lau Isles, a world similar to Isla Paradiso, and I haven't noticed any lag. Sims use boats A LOT to go from one island to another but it doesn't seem to cause any extra lag at least on my PC.
I'm pretty sure there's an NRaas mode to STOP the "taxi boat" routing. Probably "Go Here" but I'm not sure.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 7:11 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 18th Feb 2019 at 10:39 PM.
I find that in Build/Buy, your experience can be tremendously improved by staying on a Build/Buy tab with relatively few objects (i.e. mirrors, sinks) while you do things like moving objects around, CaST, etc.

If you're staying in Deco>Misc, you're going to have a bad time.

Quote: Originally posted by Leo5

The only worlds that really work are ones that essentially have one main landmass/direct access by road so all sims use land transport. In that case, sims only venture out into water when they're going to dive sites, which they basically never do autonomously.
Page 3 of 3