Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#76 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 10:54 PM
The terraintools looks great, but I'm sure you will find something to complain about anyway.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#77 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
The terraintools looks great, but I'm sure you will find something to complain about anyway.

Was that a jab at this forum or TS4?
Scholar
#78 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:26 PM
I'd say both.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

You know I will.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#80 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:46 PM
I'm watching the stream right now and I'm pretty excited for this (despite lack of pond tool) FINALLY I CAN CREATE MY CHILDHOOD HOME and I'm no builder either...
dodgy builder
#81 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:54 PM
I wonder what they mean about not compatible pond tool. Have they taken it out, or haven't they bothered thinking about it? I see some nasty fun glitches I can play with.
dodgy builder
#82 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 11:57 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 12th Oct 2018 at 9:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
Was that a jab at this forum or TS4?

Oh you would like to know that wouldn't you? :P
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#83 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 8:57 AM
The thing I was particularly pleased with was that we can now do the equivalent of the precise single-click terrain tile rise which I think was present back in TS2 days but missing in TS3. It's not done by brief clicking any more but by a metered terrain flattening tool which can be set to a height before beginning. In some ways, without CFE this has lost some of it's purpose. However because we can now sit a second floor room on risen terrain behind the first floor which is sitting on lower terrain, we can still emulate houses built on slopes with walk-out lower floors. I guess the terrain "cutaway" around a wall can be disguised either by a low roof slope or by rocks or shrubbery or maybe some creator can make object wall sections that can be sunk into the terrain.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#84 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 9:26 AM
Yes, it's a complex thing. I will have to use some hours figuring this out. I would like to replicate some things from ts3. The click thing for heights is still there in ts3, but you can also use staircases to add fixed height walls. It's just not as fixed anymore. It looks like this engineer has a bit of a mathmatical approach to this, and that's good. It makes it more predictable. It's not as flexible as cfe though.
Instructor
#85 Old 12th Oct 2018 at 10:15 AM Last edited by Mspigglypooh : 12th Oct 2018 at 11:32 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Teostar
I like that you can do separate foundations now, I do hope they eventually add in true split-leveling, I really miss that. Shame about not being able to paint the steep terrain and the absence of the pond tool, hopefully they work on those and add them in eventually. I like the vastly improved usability with the terrain tools themselves, definitely the best version of terrain manipulation we've had. Also a bit bummed we can't place floor tiles on steep terrain (like in previous games) and make stuff like ramps, but ah well.

Me too. I was trying to put in a greenhouse on my current lot and since the house sits on a foundation my greenhouse automatically has one and I do not want that. I'm really glad they added this feature in as well

ETA: I just got done watching the video and I like how they made this user-friendly. I'm no builder and always have issues with building but these tools seem so easy to use! I'm actually excited to try them out
Field Researcher
#86 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 5:33 AM
Forget Terrain tool - Foundations with independent heights feels like the real story here.
Mad Poster
#87 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 5:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grindingteeth
Forget Terrain tool - Foundations with independent heights feels like the real story here.

Agreed. Why this wasn't a thing from the start, I'll never know. But damn am I glad we're finally getting it.

The Receptacle still lives!
Test Subject
#88 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 6:50 AM
I finally watched the whole terrain tool twitch and have to say it's awesome that we finally get it in Sims 4...
but...
I don't know how many here were builders in Sims1, do you recognize the same tools? The same concept? it seems to me that we're going backwards...?!
I liked the guy Greg or w/e his name was and he seemed passionate, but geez ....
I've been thinking that Sims 4 is a repeat of Sims 1 for awhile now...and don't take me wrong, I absolutely loved Sims1 but I guess 18 years later I would have loved it to move on, become more "up to date"....
Ugh, guess I just have to hide in the closet and cry a little.
Top Secret Researcher
#90 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 2:02 PM
XD... you could really make everything in almost any material possible in TS3. Trade off was, no normal/bump maps? Remember, they used that argument that TS3 textures are too flat so they scrapped CAST in TS4 for a more detailed textures.

Well, guess what, normal maps in TS3 are fully supported and possible (with custom objects it's still pretty hard to do it)... It's just that EA rarely ever added them to any objects and only to sim outfits.
dodgy builder
#91 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 3:10 PM

I had a cousin once studying IT at the University. I don't know what he ended up doing, but he once said: Girls are so naive, the funny stuff was to test the borders of the game. Not just do as you're suppose to.

... well I guess I'm not much of a girl, because that's all I'm interested in. What can I make that looks good and leaves everyone else amazed, wondering how I can do that.

So no ... the difference in basement height is not the main thing about this. I hope to push this game into what it's not made for.
Mad Poster
#92 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Why not? They're bringing back the gold toilet which made its first appearance in TS1, although it could be nothing more than Maxis showing their boundless pre-occupation with toilets in general. At least this time they didn't call it the Seat of Romance because that's not creepy, nope, not at all.

The golden toilet isn’t even the most expensive toilet, based on the live stream. They’ve always had an issue with pricing and nothing has changed.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#94 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 5:20 PM

That is the only thing that has piqued my interest.
Mad Poster
#95 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 7:17 PM
I watch James breakdown about the terrain tool stream in 10 minutes. I got to say, the tool ain't that bad.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Page 4 of 4