Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2023 at 8:36 PM
Default Deciphering DST/.dds format for CAP Pet Stencil thumbnails [Resolved]
Howdy, so I have successfully reverse-engineered adding new custom/standalone Pet Stencils to Paint Mode in CAP. However, I'm hitting a snag in trying to add a new/custom thumbnail to said new stencil. No matter what format/program I try, the .dds I import (either via S4S or S4PE refuses to show up in the UI ingame - It just appears as the llama. When I point the stencil at an existing DST IMG for a stencil, that works just fine . Hence me thinking there's something wrong or I'm not selecting the right format for the .dds I am importing to the .package.

(example image of the llama-ing)

When viewing the (original, copied from the game files) IMG file in S4PE, it tells me the format is 'Uncompressed'.

This is not dissimilar to the RLE 2 files used for the actual stencil texture itself, which are saved in 'Uncompressed' L8 (GIMP is the only program w/ a .dds exporter I've found that will actually export to that format & have the texture show in-game correctly). But since L8 only stores black and white textures and these .dds files are full RGB, I'm kind of at a loss as to what .dds compression I should be using for this. I've played around with a few (including just letting S4S import with a .png) but all produce the llama.

If anyone has more wisdom or knowledge with the DST/.dds formatting of these specific thumbnails, I would appreciate it greatly!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th Jul 2023 at 8:43 PM
Whelp, this has to be a new record for me posting for help and near-instantly figuring it out myself.

For anyone interested, the .dds for the stencil thumbnail needs to be exported in RBGA8 via GIMP, and then it works like a charm in-game.