Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:06 AM
How to find cause of death...
Hey all, so I have a question. About a week ago I created a family with 5 members, then it soon grew to 7 members. One of the kids in this original family grew up and I moved him out...I played him for awhile to get his career on the right track etc... Well, I stopped playing the origial family and the grown child family (of one) for a few days to play another. I do have autonomy set to 100% and I have story progression on. Yesterday I went back to play my original family and see how they were doing and so on. One of my toddlers died...so I looked at the family tree and apparently not only did one of my toddlers died, but my grown child who moved out had two infants one who is also dead. Did I also mention that the game moved my grown child to another town apparently because when I went to go back and play his family to see his baby, he is no where to be found in the town. I am wondering how I can find what killed these little sims. I looked all over town, all over the lot everywhere trying to find a head stone or ghost or something. I would really like to know how they died. Also, is it normal for the game to just move your sims out of town as it sees fit? I mean I can see moving sims that came with the game and whatever but not MY sims that I created!!! I'm very irritated by that!!! I wonder is there anyway to move him back to town where I can play him again? Thank you so much for any info you might have on this.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:11 AM
The only thing that I can really think of, you might have already thought of this... But if you saved him as a sim then I am pretty sure that you can re-create him and start over with him. If not, I am not really sure if there is a way. Have you looked in the other town that is able to be downloaded from the sims3 site?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:27 AM
If you go to the graveyard and click on the Mausoleum, there's an option to "Manage the Dead" or something like that. Most likely, the person who died can be found in there and you can move his/her grave someplace. Once you set the grave down, theres a picture on the grave that reflects cause of death. I'm not sure exactly what each picture represents; I know an hourglass is old age and fire is obviously fire, but some I can't quite make out.

Yeah its normal for the game to move out sims to another town if you change your active family. You can change this by turning off story progression (the in-game method of turning it off doesn't work, there's a sticky on this forum that tells you how to do it otherwise). Alternatively, you could just play one family at a time... but I know that doesn't exactly fit everyones playing style. The game offers multiple save files though.

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:38 AM
Children can't die in the sims. Greyed out children mean they were taken by child services for neglect.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:42 AM
I think children can die but not toddlers and infants. At least that's how it was in the sims 2. I think that kids could die of fire, disease, and drowning or something like that. I'm not really sure but I know that they could die somehow.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 6:20 AM
If they are dead and the game decided that they were important enough to keep a headstone you can find them in the Mausoleum, some sims are not important enough to make it there tho, if they weren't then I don't think there is a way.

Kids can die, I saw the ghost of a little girl visiting an empty lot the other night. My kids that were taken by the social worker are not grayed out. I also had a family that decided to "move" and none of them are grayed out either, I can't call them or anything but they are still listed as family.

I have read elsewhere about children/toddlers dying, I guess this will be addressed in the patch.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 7:40 AM
paragraphs are your friend
Scholar
#8 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 8:11 AM Last edited by kewpie : 17th Jun 2009 at 8:14 AM. Reason: poor wording
I think that the game randomizer or whatever it's calledwhen storymode is turned on can kill any sim - infant to elder. I think the older sims have a higher chance of getting the axe. Oh and I'm not sure, but I THINK when a random sim dies in a neighborhood they get a stupid fake death like "mauled by a bear".

On MATY I saw some post pescado made about what storymode did in its natural state. Also saw on another forum someone asking about dead toddlers and babies in the game.

I don't know if it's suposed to go that way, or if it's a bug. Perhaps someone will make a "dontkillthebaby" hack so that story progressions would be kinder to the young. However, Pescado seems to me the type that would see dead babies as a feature rather than a bug.
Instructor
#9 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 8:35 AM
alyria80

You are wrong, children can and do die in Sims 3. They can and did die in Sims 2 also. Children in Sims 2 were unable to starve to death, but now can.

In Sims 2 Children not being fed would be taken by child services, but usually this was mainly babies and toddlers. Having not tried to starve a toddler or a baby in Sims 3 I can not comment on this. But it is possible with story progression on that the adults left the children unattended which probably leads to Child Service actions.

Please remember that TS1 and TS2 were extremely different and the same is true of TS3.

If you wish to stop this happening go to MATY and download their mod it stops the random death and sim movage out.
Instructor
#10 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 10:43 AM
I apologize for the misinformation.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:02 PM
Families you are controlling at the time the children, toddlers and babies can't starve to death, the social worker will come to get them, they also come if the social falls too low just like the Sims 2. Social services takes their time, but they eventually come, and your sim gets a negative moodlet about neglecting their child.

Story mode just randomly kills sims and then makes up a reason why they died "starved to death" or "struck by lightning 37 times".

The MATY hack works very well at preventing all of these things.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Evagirl2006
The only thing that I can really think of, you might have already thought of this... But if you saved him as a sim then I am pretty sure that you can re-create him and start over with him. If not, I am not really sure if there is a way. Have you looked in the other town that is able to be downloaded from the sims3 site?

Do sims move between the two towns?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 5:57 PM
No each town is separate. I think when a sim "moves" it is deleted.
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 9:22 PM
Moving out of town is deletion. Anyone dying of anything other than old age (outside the controlled house) is the game randomly choosing a death for someone. I've seen the neighbors' houses as being like dormrooms in Uni.(the sims who occupy them don't really do anything if they are in the room).

It's also been noted that if two sims are talking on the phone at the controlled house, going to the other sims house shows them wandering around outside or playing the guitar while they are supposedly on the phone. The game's AI just seems not quite right to me.