Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2018 at 7:29 PM Last edited by lloyd118 : 23rd Aug 2018 at 8:20 PM.
Default Renaming the base terrain layer
I was wondering if its bad to rename the base terrain paint layer? I made a custom grass that i used instead of the base grass and renamed it accordingly, but im not sure i should have now, as i deleted the paint by mistake and had to replace it and when i loaded the world in caw the paint was brown, though there was no paint in the world so that might be why but i have done this before and its never turned brown before.

just tested on different world and done the same thing by renaming base layer and then deleting it so world has no paint but it didn't turn brown on that one..weird

basically wondering if theres something wrong with my world..I fixed the brown by just adding the custom grass back in, but wondered why this happened and is it a good idea to delete the KEY_resource maybe?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 11:35 AM Last edited by lloyd118 : 24th Aug 2018 at 12:25 PM.
Does anyone know if its ok to rename the default paint layer if you edit it? Looking at sunset valley and river veiw you can rename them layer 0, I renamed mine washingtonGrass.dds as thats what my custom paints called
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 12:33 PM
You can rename any terrain paint layer as you wish, the base (default) one, too. If terrain paint turns brown it means that CAW doesn't "find" the ressource anymore. You could have accidentally deleted or moved it, or renamed it. Re-adding it as you did fixes the issue. Sometimes you have to delete the world caches as well and the content of the LocalWork folder to make it "stick".

Deleting the key-ressource can help with issues, but only if all ressources are still in the same place as shown in the respective paint layers (so that CAW "finds" them).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
You can rename any terrain paint layer as you wish, the base (default) one, too. If terrain paint turns brown it means that CAW doesn't "find" the ressource anymore. You could have accidentally deleted or moved it, or renamed it. Re-adding it as you did fixes the issue. Sometimes you have to delete the world caches as well and the content of the LocalWork folder to make it "stick".

Deleting the key-ressource can help with issues, but only if all ressources are still in the same place as shown in the respective paint layers (so that CAW "finds" them).

Thanks a lot for you're reply, i really felt this was a stupid question and wasn't even gonna ask until last night when my world went brown ahaha yeah i clear the local work more regularly now. Glad to know its ok to change the name.