Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 10:31 AM
Default How To Properly Scale Walls Using Gimp
For some reason, the way Maxis has it set up with Homecrafter, when you import your wall texture into Homecrafter, the texture is stretched vertically in game. This does not give you the same result that you wanted with your original texture. Today, I will show you how to scale walls using gimp so that it doesn't stretch in game.

Step 1 is to open your wall template you want to use. The preferred size is 256x512 pixels. Now look in gimp for the rectangle tool.

Next, you would like to carefully select 256x256 pixels starting with the top of the wall texture.

As soon as you have it selected exactly at 256x256 pixels, you can crop.

Find the scale tool in gimp toolbox and click inside of your texture. You will get a pop up window. Make that size 256x128.

Carefully select with the rectangle tool so you can crop again.

Save this image to your desktop or somewhere where you can find it for later. It can be in any format you choose. .PNG is fine.

At the top of gimp say file/new and in the pop up window make this size 256x512. My image is white, but you might want yours bright green or blue like a green screen effect. This can be achieved using the bucket fill tool. Bucket filling with a green screen is effective so you will be able to more clearly tell when there are fine lines showing through on your texture.

Open as Layers the image file you saved to your desktop earlier

Find the move tool in your toolbox and drag the layer to the top of the template. You can use the mouse to move the active selection fast, and the arrow keys for more precision.

At the top of gimp duplicate the active layer.

Keep duplicating and moving layers until you have filled everything in solid. Make sure that there are no gaps remaining or it will show up in game or Homecrafter. If you do happen to see gaps or little lines in the texture, you can always duplicate and move more layers.

In this one I was just showing you how so I didn't make sure the gaps where completely gone. You should make sure they are gone though so you won't see little white, green, or blue lines in the middle of your walls in game.

Now the wall is ready to be imported into Homecrafter. For the Homecrafter tutorial go To This Tutorial by HystericalParoxysm