Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2006 at 12:23 AM Last edited by Echo : 10th Sep 2008 at 1:35 PM.
Default Texturing for Dummies - Maxis and Custom Mesh Texturing
Texturing for Dummies - Custom Meshes
and
Texturing for Dummies - Maxis Meshes

A question I get asked often is, How do I make a texture for a object and view it in 3D without running the game?.

So this week I've been working on something to help out all you Sim 2 fans who would like to create your own textures on a Sims 2 game object.

These are comprehensive tutorials on how to do recolours; It will walk you through showing you the steps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Texturing for Dummies - Custom Meshes, Comes with templates for the Bath and shower unit.

The Tutorial (Texturing for Dummies - Custom Meshes) is pointed at making textures for custom made objects, then viewing the object in 3D out of the game.

The Tutorial (Texturing for Dummies - Maxis Meshes) is pointed at making textures for Maxis made objects, then viewing the object in 3D out of the game.

I recommend that you read both of these as the tips can be carried to all recolours.

I know in time the average Simmer will be doing textured objects like the professionals. :nod:

All Tools needed are listed in the tutorial and are free. (Feature limited but you won't need the features that are disabled)

The only tool that is limited in another way is Paint Shop Pro. This is full featured but time limited for 30days. You can use any paint tool you wish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This tutorial is in PDF file format, you will need adobe reader to view it. (Adobe reader is free)

Links to the sites to download the tools are also provided in the tutorials.

What Tools where use?

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

DDS_Utilities: (Version Used in this Tutorial - v7.33)
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ture_tools.html

SimPE: (Version Used in this Tutorial - v0.52.21)
http://sims.ambertation.de/

Paint Shop Pro: (Version Used in this Tutorial - v10.02)
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...d=1047024307383
(Or some kind of paint program with .bmp and .png support.)

UV Mapper: (Version Used in this Tutorial - v3.2)
http://www.uvmapper.com/
Download the demo version of UVMapper Professional.

Instructions:

The object needs to be extracted form the download with a zip with a extraction tool such as ALzip.

If you don’t have a rar or zip extractor, for a free unzip tool (ALzip) go to.
http://www.altools.net/

http://www.altools.net/Downloads/Do...88/Default.aspx

This zip file also contains a Read Me Documentation file in pdf format. This may help some of you.

:baloons:

----------
Tutorials:Texturing_for_Dummies_-_Maxis_and_Custom_Mesh_Texturingwiki
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Texturing for Dummies - Coustom Meshes.zip (2.58 MB, 3549 downloads)
File Type: zip  Texturing for Dummies - Maxis Meshes.zip (3.26 MB, 3216 downloads)

Thank you all who supported me. (Sims 2 World)
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2006 at 12:42 AM
i don't realy need this because i am prety good with texturing now but thanks anyway
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2006 at 5:10 AM
This is a great tutorial, thanks, I actually felt like I understood what you were saying. Thank you.

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.- Maya Angelou

Avalon
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2006 at 9:22 AM
Thanks for the tutorial . I can move it to the tutorial section, but I have a couple of suggestions first:

- In your tutorial you're using the old Object Workshop that is not being updated anymore. The up-to-date version can be found in the bottom bar of your SimPE, and if it's not there, go to Window -> Object Workshop to toggle it. This is the Object Workshop that is now recommended to be used and I think it would be good to also have the tutorial use the same version .

- You should also mention which version of SimPE you used with this tutorial.

- Since this step by step tutorial specifically works for custom meshes, I would either title it "Custom Mesh Texturing for Dummies" (or something similar), or, alternatively, add a step where you explain how to extract a Maxis object mesh for reference.

When these couple of points have been cleared up, I will gladly move this to the Tutorials for Object Meshing & Recolouring section .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 12:57 AM
Quote:
IgnorantBliss-Thanks for the tutorial . I can move it to the tutorial section, but I have a couple of suggestions first:

Thanks for That, I did not even notice the workshop at the base.
I'll re-tweak the tutorial and repost is as soon as I can.

Your help is alway appreciated,
From Micky.

retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 12:05 PM
Still, you did a great job, and tutorials like these (the very basics) are so badly needed around here.

Good job, mickyss!

You gotta have faith . . .
www.Grapholina.com
Part-time Hermit
#7 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 7:35 AM
Moved to the tutorial forum . Good job on the tutorials, thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 7:56 AM Last edited by hexywoman79 : 30th Jan 2006 at 8:27 AM.
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this tutorial - I have one question about it. My question is this - if I want to recolor something (that looks like it would be relatively simple - HChangeri's signs from "Sim Foods") do I have to have the DDS Utilities? My problem is that I'm at work now (on a computer that I can't download programs like that), and my internet at home is on the blink (the wireless network keeps shutting down every few min/sec, so I can't get the download as it keeps cutting off). So I just wondered if that download is essential? I managed to get all of the others.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm sorry I know this is probably a really stupid question, but I was just hoping that maybe it would be possible to not use it. :sadpanda:
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 10:31 AM
You know what, I think I've pretty much figured out that I DO have to have it. No worries I will try to figure out a way to get it.

:P
Part-time Hermit
#10 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 10:34 AM
The DDS Utilities are not essential, but they usually make the texture quality better. Without it, you can just right-click on the texture, select Import, import the image you want, then right-click on it, select Update All Sizes, then click Commit and Save.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 11:13 AM
Ok well I might try to have a go at it then. Thanks so much for your answer. I'm not too bothered about the quality of the texture (as it is just for some signs that I want to put on businesses that I'm making in my new downtown - wanted to have my own signs for clubs, restaurants and shops and stuff). Thanks again.

:D
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 7:19 PM
Well... Thanks for this TuTorial...Mickyss : underline___ this is for dummies.. n I know Im one of them .. HihiiHii

To Be Forgotten Is Worse Than Death... ( Freya : FF IX )
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Feb 2006 at 7:37 AM
Well I've managed to get all the downloads that we require (including the DDS Utilities) and I still seem to be having a few problems. When I first open the package up, then the resource tree shows up, I click on the GMDC (or whatever) and then 1 object is listed (I'm using the tutorial to learn but I'm trying to use a different object to recolor as its the only thing I really want to recolor and I need it ASAP). Anyway, when I highlight the one object to the right of the resource tree, it says we need to click on the "3D Mesh" tab, only I can't see a tab with "3D Mesh" anywhere on the screen. I was wondering is this because you used the older version of SimPE at first? Or is there another reason for this perhaps?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Part-time Hermit
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2006 at 9:00 AM
I don't have SimPE handy right now, but I think the tab you will find the mesh under is called something like cGeometryContainer. That's where you export the mesh from. Starting up SimPE in advanced mode you get some more options, but I don't think they are needed in this tutorial, if I remember correctly.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 7:50 AM
Looks like it needs advanced mode needs to be on,

Click - Extra, Preferences, SimPE Settings, and then tick Advanced Mode.

Now open up the package with the mesh.

Sory... :sorry: When I install SimPE this is on as default.. Looks like its not the case for you..
Screenshots

Part-time Hermit
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 9:49 PM
OK, when you're not in advanced mode, the tab you need to go to is called cGeometryDataContainer. When in advanced mode, the same thing is called 3D Mesh. A bit confusing, but you do not need to have SimPE in advanced mode to go through that step, the tab just has a different name.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 12:37 PM
Well I've finally managed to figure it out - I've recolored about 5 or 6 signs so far (YIPPEE!!!). Thanks again for all your help guys! Its greatly appreciated!

:D
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 3:17 PM
i have one question about the tut what is the exact step right after the save .obj cause you dont state start new or anything i really need your help im such a noob lol
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 9:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LittleDevil25
i have one question about the tut what is the exact step right after the save .obj cause you dont state start new or anything i really need your help im such a noob lol

If you just saved the obj PAGE 5 (Now you have a copy of the model click - File, Close, Sims PE will still be open Now at the bottom of the screen click on - Object workshop. (If if it dose not appear at the bottom of the screen click - Window and click Object Workshop to toggle it back on..) PAGE 6:

Is this where your at?

Test Subject
#20 Old 14th Feb 2006 at 7:36 PM
Thank you so much mickyss, I am able to follow right along with this tutorial but I have ran into a small snag. When I am in UV Mapper Professional and I go to Texture/Load then the texture image I get an "Error Box" saying, "Error Loading Background" I am not sure how to upload the image of the error box, so I am unable to show you exactly what it says!

If anyone is able to help me out with this snag it would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by itsmeimlost
Thank you so much mickyss, I am able to follow right along with this tutorial but I have ran into a small snag. When I am in UV Mapper Professional and I go to Texture/Load then the texture image I get an "Error Box" saying, "Error Loading Background" I am not sure how to upload the image of the error box, so I am unable to show you exactly what it says!

If anyone is able to help me out with this snag it would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa

This sounds like the UVmapper not likeing the texture format, UVmapper is very fussy on the the type of image format.
Save the image as a .bmp file you can try .jpg to, Somtime if you using a program that has configurable compression for the image UVmapper cant work out what to do.

Let us know how you go.

Test Subject
#22 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mickyss
This sounds like the UVmapper not likeing the texture format, UVmapper is very fussy on the the type of image format.
Save the image as a .bmp file you can try .jpg to, Somtime if you using a program that has configurable compression for the image UVmapper cant work out what to do.

Let us know how you go.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond back to this. Real Life has been keeping me busy. As for UVmapper not liking the texture format, you were correct. I went in and changed the png to bmp and I now can get it to work! I really appreciate the help and this tutorial.

Lisa
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 2:47 PM
I have a question: is the custom mesh recolouring for texturing a mesh, or just to give it more colour options? Thank you!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rib640
I have a question: is the custom mesh recolouring for texturing a mesh, or just to give it more colour options? Thank you!

Not sure what you mean, This guide shows you how to make your own recolours for user made objects so you can add more colours to it in the game.

Part-time Hermit
#25 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 4:09 AM
I think they are asking if this tutorial is intended for texturing an original mesh you made, or for the extra color options. I think it was intended for the latter, but probably parts of the tutorial can also be used for creating the original texture.
Page 1 of 3