Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2023 at 9:09 PM Last edited by JQ King : 3rd Sep 2023 at 3:51 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Conflicting Traits
Hey everyone, does anyone know of a mod that allows you to give your sim conflicting traits? I know it's kind of a weird request because trait conflict does make since, but I'm making a sim and I want to give her conflicting traits couch potato and technophobe. I know I'm not the only one wanting to give their sim traits that conflict.

There's only one sim I know that has conflicting traits. A ghost sim in Sunset Valley named Gaylord Koffi (father of Gobias Koffi), and his conflicting traits are artistic, can't stand art, and easily impressed.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JQ King
Hey everyone, does anyone know of a mod that allows you to give your sim conflicting traits? I know it's kind of a weird request because trait conflict does make since, but I'm making a sim and I want to give her conflicting traits couch potato and technophobe. I know I'm not the only one wanting to give their sim traits that conflict.

There's only one sim I know that has conflicting traits. A ghost sim in Sunset Valley named Gaylord Koffi (father of Gobias Koffi), and his conflicting traits are artistic, can't stand art, and easily impressed.

Nraas MC, Advanced> Traits> Change. It does not show trait conflicts in there.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 2:49 PM

I'm just curious why you'd want to do this. Technophobes--or Luddites--hate television. They're the ones who always brag about never having owned or watched a TV. Couch potatoes are the opposite; they are TV addicts. That's why it's a conflict in the game.

Also, remember that sims are hard-coded to act differently depending on their traits, not just in terms of moodlets, but in terms of behavior. Again, that's why there are conflicts in the game. The couch potato is programmed to love television; the technophobe is programmed to hate it, stamp their feet and walk away. You could use a mod to hack the system, but I think it might result in crashing or other weird stuff happening in-game.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims1depot
Technophobes--or Luddites--hate television.

They also tend to sabotage electronics.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 8:03 PM Last edited by JQ King : 3rd Sep 2023 at 8:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Nraas MC, Advanced> Traits> Change. It does not show trait conflicts in there.

Hey @LadySmoks, I already tried that, it doesn't show trait conflict their but it's there, you still can't add conflicting trait even with MC sadly. :{
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2023 at 8:20 PM Last edited by JQ King : 3rd Sep 2023 at 8:32 PM.
I'm just curious why you'd want to do this. Technophobes--or Luddites--hate television. They're the ones who always brag about never having owned or watched a TV. Couch potatoes are the opposite; they are TV addicts. That's why it's a conflict in the game.

Also, remember that sims are hard-coded to act differently depending on their traits, not just in terms of moodlets, but in terms of behavior. Again, that's why there are conflicts in the game. The couch potato is programmed to love television; the technophobe is programmed to hate it, stamp their feet and walk away. You could use a mod to hack the system, but I think it might result in crashing or other weird stuff happening in-game.

Hey @thesims1depot, I know it's strange, I want to add those two traits for my sim because I want her to be lazy and not exercise(couch potato), but I also want her to hate technology and electronics(technophobe), she's going to be a ghost sim that died of electrocution, that's another reason why I want her to be a technophobe. I don't think my game will crash if I somehow give them conflicting traits. I resurrected and played as Gaylord Koffi (his conflicting traits again are artistic, can't stand art, and easily impressed) and my game never crashed, I even went to the art gallery and bought an easel to see how he behaves. When he views art, he still hates it, and he'll still use the easel on his own, but both will give him a negative moodlet. Also since he's artistic and hates art, he doesn't talk about nor complains about art, so I'm guesting if I somehow give my sim the couch potato and technophobe trait, she won't talk about her television addiction nor complain about technology.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 4th Sep 2023 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
They also tend to sabotage electronics.

Thanks. I forgot about that.

Hey @thesims1depot, I know it's strange, I want to add those two traits for my sim because I want her to be lazy and not exercise(couch potato), but I also want her to hate technology and electronics(technophobe), she's going to be a ghost sim that died of electrocution, that's another reason why I want her to be a technophobe. I don't think my game will crash if I somehow give them conflicting traits. I resurrected and played as Gaylord Koffi (his conflicting traits again are artistic, can't stand art, and easily impressed) and my game never crashed, I even went to the art gallery and bought an easel to see how he behaves. When he views art, he still hates it, and he'll still use the easel on his own, but both will give him a negative moodlet. Also since he's artistic and hates art, he doesn't talk about nor complains about art, so I'm guesting if I somehow give my sim the couch potato and technophobe trait, she won't talk about her television addiction nor complain about technology.

The thing about being artistic and hating art is that it's not a programming conflict. Being artistic boosts painting skill and allows sims to click with other arty sims. Hating art causes negative social interactions with arty sims. There's nothing about being arty that conflicts with hating art in the game.

The couch potato/technophobe issue is something completely different. There are animations, hardcoded reactions and behaviors that each trait generates that conflict with their environment. For example, the couch potato sim, when interacting with a TV, will immediately turn it on and sit down and watch it. The technophobe will not only never turn on the TV but will react violently when it's on, stamp their feet and leave. Also, as @LadySmoks said, they sabotage it. They each will get very different moodlets, too, one extremely negative, one extremely positive.

So, how can a sim that is both a potato and technophobe be able to react to the TV when they're programmed so differently? I don't think it's possible overriding this. The only other solution I can think of is to find a mod that allows for micro-tweaking traits (as opposed to combing them) or custom building one from scratch? I'm not really sure if there's something like this, but it's worth a look.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Sep 2023 at 1:42 AM Last edited by JQ King : 4th Sep 2023 at 5:41 AM.
Thanks. I forgot about that.

The thing about being artistic and hating art is that it's not a programming conflict. Being artistic boosts painting skill and allows sims to click with other arty sims. Hating art causes negative social interactions with arty sims. There's nothing about being arty that conflicts with hating art in the game.

The couch potato/technophobe issue is something completely different. There are animations, hardcoded reactions and behaviors that each trait generates that conflict with their environment. For example, the couch potato sim, when interacting with a TV, will immediately turn it on and sit down and watch it. The technophobe will not only never turn on the TV but will react violently when it's on, stamp their feet and leave. Also, as @LadySmoks said, they sabotage it. They each will get very different moodlets, too, one extremely negative, one extremely positive.

So, how can a sim that is both a potato and technophobe be able to react to the TV when they're programmed so differently? I don't think it's possible overriding this. The only other solution I can think of is to find a mod that allows for micro-tweaking traits (as opposed to combing them) or custom building one from scratch? I'm not really sure if there's something like this, but it's worth a look.

Being artistic and can't stand art is a trait conflict in the game, just like couch potato and technophobe. I also don't know how a sim with couch potato and technophobe would react when watching TV. My guest is the technophobe trait will over power the couch potato trait and they'll react just like any other sim with the technophobe trait, again that's just my guest, idk lol, but I'd love to find out!
Field Researcher
#9 Old 5th Sep 2023 at 5:45 AM
If you could get it to work with some sort of pick any trait mod, couch potato and technophobe wouldn't be a horrible mix.

Couch potato like sitting/ laying down in general (they get a stronger moodlet from the comfortable chair or bed moodlet). They would hate to watch TV or use a computer but if you gave them bookworm or a really good bookcase they would happily sit and on the couch reading and have just as much fun.

Alas not even Master Controller can bypass the hard coded conflict.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 5th Sep 2023 at 3:50 PM Last edited by thesims1depot : 5th Sep 2023 at 5:28 PM.
Being artistic and can't stand art is a trait conflict in the game, just like couch potato and technophobe. I also don't know how a sim with couch potato and technophobe would react when watching TV. My guest is the technophobe trait will over power the couch potato trait and they'll react just like any other sim with the technophobe trait, again that's just my guest, idk lol, but I'd love to find out!

There is nothing to guess. The only answer is that it can't be done.

I don't like to give too much details about myself, but I have to say a little something here. In a past life, I learned programming.

The way that programming works is that it's black/white, either/or, yes/no. Either something can do black or it can do white, can say yes or say no, etc.

The sims are hard-coded to react in specific ways with with specific objects and specific environments depending on their traits. Some of the traits overlap. Some of them conflict.

For example, if you put three sims in a gym with a TV set--one technophobe, one athletic and one couch potato--the athletic sim will want to turn on the TV to workout. The couch potato will want to turn it on to watch shows. The technophobe will avoid it.

If the athletic sim turns on the TV at the gym, the couch potato will get angry if they want to watch a TV show and complain. The technophobe will have a conniption fit, stamp their feet and walk away.

Their behavior and reactions are hard-coded to always react this way with objects in the game. The technophobe will always hate the TV and avoid it, but the couch potato will always try to watch the TV. How can you combine these traits in the game to create a hybrid sim that is afraid of the TV and other electronics but then doesn't mind talking about it? You can't, the way the game was coded.

Like I said earlier, a solution would be if someone created a "trait system", where players could build a new trait where they can pick and choose behaviors. But even so, the most talented modders had trouble messing around with them, according to this Reddit thread, because like I said, it's all hard coded: https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...for_the_sims_3/.

The solution to all this? When you start wanting the game to add more role playing depth than the limitations will allow, it's better to start creating stories and machinima to flesh out your characters. Mods have expanded the Sims 3 in ways that even the original developers hadn't imagined, but they can only do so much.
Instructor
#11 Old 5th Sep 2023 at 6:57 PM
The Can't stand art trait doesn't stop them from making art, that isn't hard coded because there is a whole mess of paintings labeled for that trait. I have a painting replacement mod and the ones she used to replace the game ones are very good. I could see how the game could have a meltdown from trying to combine ones that are more hard coded against each other. From what I have noticed sims with Can't Stand Art just complain when they see art but Artistic sims don't really respond to it at all. And EA seemed to break a lot of their own rules with some premade sims, lucky sims dying from things other than Old Age, sims with less traits than they should have, conflicting traits. I haven't seen anything that would override it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Sep 2023 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
If you could get it to work with some sort of pick any trait mod, couch potato and technophobe wouldn't be a horrible mix.

Couch potato like sitting/ laying down in general (they get a stronger moodlet from the comfortable chair or bed moodlet). They would hate to watch TV or use a computer but if you gave them bookworm or a really good bookcase they would happily sit and on the couch reading and have just as much fun.

Alas not even Master Controller can bypass the hard coded conflict.

Yes thank u, couch potato and technophobe wouldn't be the worst traits added together. I think with those traits together, they'll just never exercise or watch television. They'll still have other traits to help them decide what they would like to do like bookworm, artistic, or etc. In my opinion, the worst two traits to try to add together are flirty and unflirty.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 7th Sep 2023 at 9:27 PM
Mean spirited or evil and irresistible (which isn't actually a conflict, just a really bad idea). Irresistible makes random people talk to you but then mean or evil would have you turn around and say something awful. It would be good for racking up enemies.