Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 10th May 2005 at 6:29 AM
Default material description file
Hi
I was looking at your tutorial and I was wandering if the material definition file you wanted everyone to download would work in any kind of file besides floors. I am making a cabinet with a window in it and I can't get the window to be a window and I also can't find a tutorial on how to make windows. So I have been experimenting with what I found out so far. I was thinking if I change some of the things in my objects material description, like you did for the floors, maybe that would work. So that's why I'm asking, do you know if the material description file you have on here to download would work in any object in SimPE?
Advertisement
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#27 Old 10th May 2005 at 6:48 AM
I believe that they'd work for any object. If you look at the material definition and the material "type" is not specific to floors (I can't remember!) then it should work for any object. But it's not a good glass material since it doesn't have any reflectivity.

I'd suggest instead that you clone a window from the game and steal the glass material definition from it.

RG
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 10th May 2005 at 6:44 PM
Default tutorial
Thanks RGiles,
For answering me. I am trying the cloning part first. Will post what I found out when I finish. Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 11th May 2005 at 3:52 PM
Default glass window
RGiles
I just wanted to thank you for putting me in the right direction for the glass material. I finished my cabinet and the window came out fine. Oh, and it's a gun cabinet. If you want, you can check it out in the sculpture section. Thanks again, RGiles.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#30 Old 20th May 2005 at 10:44 AM
hmm, I'm having the same problem as candrew.
The transparent part works just fine, but the textured part of my tile is sheer black.
Is it possible to get colour in there? Or am I just doing something wrong?
Test Subject
#31 Old 15th Jun 2005 at 11:08 PM
I'm probably a little late in asking this, but then I've only recently gained enough confidence to start reading tutorials on this site and actually try to do them, but here goes.
I've done both of those tutorials, and they work fine for me. I've made a couple of transparent tiles for some lots I'm building now, and they turned out the way I wanted them to, but when I originally DL'd your transparent floor tiles, there was one in there that I thought was very beautiful. The frosted transparent tile. I can't figure out how to do that one in a different color. Is there anyway you can create a tutorial for that one? Any help would be appreciated, as I'm completely new at this stuff, and don't have the skills to figure it out on my own.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 23rd Jun 2005 at 3:10 PM
The Material Definition File won't download, it just loads forever then says done.
I was doing so well, too.....
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 4:20 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem to CAndrew.

I want to make a metal grating floor tile, but I want to make a steel texture. Trouble is, it always turns out jet black - just as candrew reported earlier. Is there anything I can do to use colour or will grating always be black?
Test Subject
#34 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 5:26 AM
I notice this thread has not been responded to in some time, but I am hoping someone can answer my question.

I am trying to make the transparent floor tile (non-textured) using SimPE v0.54.2223.28029, Classic GUI. I have followed all of the steps of the tutorial, yet my tiles show up as bright blue in the game.

I have opened a transparent floor tile created by someone else for comparison. The only difference I notice is that I have a "Directory of Compressed Files" under file types, and the working transparent floor tile does not. What is that directory, firstly, and secondly, what else might I be overlooking that is causing my tile to be blue?
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 9:43 AM
I too had black tiles, but no reply forthcoming here, I found a another tutorial by frillen that DID work for me - and it's an amazing tutorial. Find it here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=71559

Sue
Test Subject
#36 Old 6th Feb 2006 at 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cyclonesue
I too had black tiles, but no reply forthcoming here, I found a another tutorial by frillen that DID work for me - and it's an amazing tutorial. Find it here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=71559

Sue

Sue, you have once again come to my rescue. This looks like it will work. I am indebted to you. Thank you!

:elephant: <<Me, doing happy dance! lol

Lisa
Page 2 of 2