Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Moderator of pixels for pixels
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2009 at 8:18 PM Last edited by Sim_Me : 14th Jan 2009 at 9:32 PM.
Default Connecting Walls To Foundations Without Using Cheats Or BoolProp
This may be posted somewhere but I thought I would go ahead and explain the way I do it =P

To create a lot with walls and foundations connecting (with no cheats or boolProp) you must have different levels of ground for the following technique.

First start with a flat, level lot that you want to build your house or business etc… on.

If you are going to want an attached garage it is a good time to decide where you want it. Also any rooms you would want on a lower level. If you decide later in building you wish you had added extra rooms on the lower level, it may be possible to add them.

Next raise the terrain 12 clicks high (one grid away from one of the lower level walls). This will make the terrain a bit lower than the top of your lower wall.

Go to the foundation tool and create one square grid of the foundation on top of the raised terrain. (This works with the latticed deck foundation also and I am guessing the column deck foundation will work as well)

You can change the foundation i.e. from brick foundation to deck foundation later if you decide you want to do that. Just simply drag the foundation you want over the one that is already there.

What this will do is allow a floor and wall to go evenly over both the lower wall and upper foundation. You can now drag the foundation tool to go ahead and connect with the current wall/room you are working with. You don’t need to add a floor yet like I have in the picture below; it is just to show that the foundation is level with the top of the wall heheh

If you have different lower areas/rooms on the lot, go to the lowest level and drag the 12 click high terrain from point A to point B. Follow the same pattern, make the foundation and continue to build.

Tip: Try raising the terrain *around* foundation that seems too tall. This also pretties up the landscape:

This is what I ended up with on this example :P

Below it shows how I decided to go ahead and add another room on the lower level further into creating the layout.
Here I have made one room a spa/sauna and the other in the back is a game room. If you leave enough room above and below you can add staircases or spiral stairs, but I didn’t leave enough room for my layout on the floor above, so instead I made separate entrances to the two rooms. The connecting stairs don't seem to work as well inside with this technique. Either way, if you experiment with this technique, I am betting you can come up with some pretty cool stuff :-)

Need to know which object came with which EP or SP? Check the CEP Object database
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Jan 2009 at 7:29 AM
That is a beautiful house! I have used this technique before in building a house long before I knew what boolprop was.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2009 at 4:21 PM
Thanks Christine :D

Need to know which object came with which EP or SP? Check the CEP Object database
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2009 at 12:13 PM
Thanks ! This can be extremely handy for those who like me don't like to use the constrainfloorelevation cheat.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 6:27 AM
Ohhh, pretty house! Might you consider uploading it?

I used to use this as well. I still use it occasionally.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Test Subject
#6 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 12:42 AM
The tutorial seems easy, and i might try it!
BUT...
It doesn't show all the pics, mabye cuz i have Vista...

Cheezburger
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 5:59 PM
Yeah I just realized all the pictures aren't showing up either. I don't know what happened. =(

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 11:10 PM
They show up now, at least for me. Great idea and beautiful house btw! I realize this is a very old thread, but looking through all the old tutorials for something new to do.