Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#51 Old 16th Feb 2007 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mother Sim
is it possible to make a "New City_Snow" neighborhood? I would love to have a mountain with snow and pine trees for my collection of log houses.... :P

Not currently possible. Why not? Because the game only permits you to have certain terrain types, and 'snow' isn't currently one of them. This may change with 'Seasons' though.

However, a trick that you can use is to hunt up neighbourhood objects that would allow you to blanket the map in a snow-like effect. I've seen a couple of them around. If you're doing this, you'll also need a snowy ground cover, else your lots are really going to look bizarre on the neighbourhood map.

However, the best thing to do would be to wait a little - just a couple of weeks - and see what 'Seasons' brings.

Which is True?
The Mask you're Facing,
or the Face I'm Masking?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 11:29 PM Last edited by annabbanana543 : 19th Feb 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Can I ask a question here?

Okay -- I just got SC4, and I have Roller Coaster Tycoon installed on my computer. All of my sc4 terrains show up in the folder as "Roller Coaster Tycoon Scenario" files. I have no idea why this is. Is it the same for everyone, whether they have RCT or not? Neighborhoods I've downloaded are also like this, but they show up fine in TS2. *MY* new terrains, however, don't. I can't get the files to display the filename (to see whether it's .sc4) at all, if that matters. I just uninstalled RCT, and it didn't change anything. So am I doing something wrong in SC4? Or is it a weird file thing?

BTW, thanks for an AWESOME tutorial.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 23rd Feb 2007 at 1:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by annabbanana543
Can I ask a question here?

Certainly. Consult your pineal for the answers

Quote:
Okay -- I just got SC4, and I have Roller Coaster Tycoon installed on my computer. All of my sc4 terrains show up in the folder as "Roller Coaster Tycoon Scenario" files. I have no idea why this is.

Almost certainly because RCT altered your file associations so that any file of the type "sc4" is called that, and presumably opened by that program when you click on it. It's not particularly important, since when you're inside SimCity 4 or Sims 2, they'll open the files without any trouble. If you want to remove the association, it may cause trouble with RCT - i.e. If you're supposed to run it by clicking on the files - but should be fine otherwise.
Assuming that you're running Windows XP (98 is near enough the same as makes no odds. Can't say about other OSs)
Open up a folder - any folder.
Open Tools -> Folder Options
Select File Types, then locate sc4 and delete that entry.
This is harmless - it simply removes the association between the filetype and the default names and programs used. From inside the programs, the files will operate normally. Your files will now use the standard "unknown filetype" name and icon. If you want to rejig it so that it's associated with SC4 instead of RCT, that's a bit more complex, but not by much:
Instead of deleting, click 'change' and then hunt up the .exe for SC4 in whatever folder it was installed into. Then, choose advanced, and type in whatever name takes your fancy. "Sim City map" would be a good choice. That should do the job, but remember, this is essentially cosmetic, and not really important.

Quote:
Is it the same for everyone, whether they have RCT or not?

Wouldn't know. I've never had a copy of RCT. But this is how file associations work.

Quote:
Neighborhoods I've downloaded are also like this, but they show up fine in TS2. *MY* new terrains, however, don't. I can't get the files to display the filename (to see whether it's .sc4) at all, if that matters. I just uninstalled RCT, and it didn't change anything. So am I doing something wrong in SC4? Or is it a weird file thing?

Again, assuming the same OS as above, go back to Folder Options, then choose View. You'll get a long list of tickboxes, some checked, some not. Don't mess with them unless you know what you're doing. They're usually harmless, but the effects might be annoying, so be careful. One of the boxes is "Hide extensions for known filetypes" - make sure that this is NOT ticked. Leave the others be. You should now be able to see which files are sc4 or not. When renaming files, make certain that you keep the extension, or you'll really mess things up.

As for why your new ones don't show up, I couldn't say. The obvious one is that you could be using the wrong sized map. Sims 2 only accepts the smallest map size, so if you use a larger one, nothing will happen. Could be that. Could be that you're either putting the wrong file into the right folder, or the right file into the wrong folder. Or both
Otherwise: Insufficient Data.

Which is True?
The Mask you're Facing,
or the Face I'm Masking?
Test Subject
#54 Old 25th Feb 2007 at 3:46 PM
Thank you sooooo much!! I'll try your suggestions.
Test Subject
#55 Old 27th Mar 2007 at 3:16 PM
Good toturial,, do you have some pics ??

Watjijwilt. xD
Test Subject
#56 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 1:45 PM
Default Big thanks
I would have never guessed to use SC4 for this, thanks tons.
Test Subject
#57 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 4:05 AM
Yay! I made my first custom neighborhood, I'm so happy! Thank you so much!
Test Subject
#58 Old 21st Jun 2007 at 3:35 AM
I have a question. I want to make a medieval themed neighborhood but it looks really funny with black paved roads. I know you can use the boolprop locktiles false cheat to put tiles on the road when you're in the lot but then they don't show up in the neighborhood. Is there some way to make dirt or cobblestone roads in SC4?
Test Subject
#59 Old 13th Aug 2007 at 1:07 PM
Thank you soooo much! just last week i bought SC4 and decided to create some custom hoods but couldnt figure out why they didnt look the same in S2 - didnt have any guidelines.

Thank you for this!

J
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 15th Aug 2007 at 6:13 PM
i have SC4 but it wont work because my dad had sent it to me so it got scratched up
Test Subject
#61 Old 15th Aug 2007 at 7:04 PM
Default no custom regions
I can't find my cuostom reigions in the regions folder. Any idea what is wrong?
Test Subject
#62 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nisayat
I have a question. I want to make a medieval themed neighborhood but it looks really funny with black paved roads. I know you can use the boolprop locktiles false cheat to put tiles on the road when you're in the lot but then they don't show up in the neighborhood. Is there some way to make dirt or cobblestone roads in SC4?

There are custom roads for simcity 4 made by users, I guess you want something like this:

this is from Simtropolis
you can download them there, the file it's called: FUNCTIONAL ASSORTED ROADS PACK 10
once in simtropolis click in ST-Exchange and search the name of the file.

Hope it helps

thanks to all the people who give tips in here, it's very very useful!
Test Subject
#63 Old 24th Sep 2007 at 9:23 PM
My sim city 4 doesn't appear to have a folder where it saves anything.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 20th Feb 2008 at 8:38 PM
Thank you so much! This has been very helpful.

pieridae
Test Subject
#65 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 9:35 AM
I have used this tutorial succesfully before but now I seem to have some problems.

I have downloaded a nice map but I want to delete and add some roads but I cannot import the map into SC4. I have copied the downloaded .sc4 file to every folder under \SC4\Regions but when I try to import it it does not show.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 11:36 PM
Ahhh! Thank you for giving me the confidence to install Sim City 4 <3
I'm trying to get the CD virus scanner that pops up on my Mac to close... so that I can launch TS2 and check how well I smoothed the terrain

If it looks good I'm going to post it up on MTS2, THANK YOU! :D
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 4:16 AM
Default Is There Another Way??
I would LOVE to make my own neighbourhoods, from scratch, but I don't have SC4. Is there another Sim City version that will allow me to make custom neighbourhoods??

"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few."
Marie Henri Beyle (1783-1842)
Test Subject
#68 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 7:29 PM
i need some help, my create custom neighborhood list is for some unknown reason to me empty....they were there just a few days ago, so some one please help me ...either to find them or to create a new file for them.....
Test Subject
#69 Old 1st Apr 2010 at 7:51 PM
For some reason i always make dead nice neighbourhoods that take me like a week to make and then i end up deleting it coz i all of a sudden don't like it?!
I dunno why and it's anoyyin me
Test Subject
#70 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 10:46 PM
Since this thread hasn't had a reply in almost 3 years, I don't know if anyone will see this, but I have a problem.

I'm trying to create an island and after lots of trial and error, I finally got it. However, when I go into my Regions folder, my new region isn't there. I tried importing the island to a Maxis-created region and digging it out of that folder, but everything is titled "City - New City (##)" and has the same Last Modified date, so I have no idea which one it is. Does anyone know of a way to find it other than just loading TS2 and creating new hoods out of EVERYTHING and seeing which one I like?
Site Helper
#71 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 12:18 AM
Did you give your new city a unique name when you went into Mayor mode? If so, your city file should be named City - <the name that you specified>.SC4. If not, you could type <ctrl>X to bring up the cheat windows and type the cheat "whereareufrom <city name>" to give it a unique name. If your city name has spaces, you'll need to enclose it in quotes.
Test Subject
#72 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 5:44 PM
I wrote out a whole long reply describing everything I had tried and how it hadn't worked, then I tried running a search for my city's name through my entire C:\ folder instead of just the Maxis folder. Wouldn't you know it was saved in My Documents instead of the system folder! Thank you for helping me think a little more outside the box to find the stupid thing
Test Subject
#73 Old 13th Sep 2013 at 7:44 PM
I don't know if this will be seen but I was wondering if there was a way to import a neighborhood (SC4) from Sims 2 into Sim City 4 in order to modify it a bit?
I have downloaded some great neighborhoods from here but there are a few things I would love to tweak to fit my needs. (Personal use only, not uploading anywhere) I have tried to make neighborhoods from scratch and I am never happy with the way they turn out.
I have searched the site for an answer but haven't been able to find one, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Site Helper
#74 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 7:01 PM
No. There's no way to extract an SC4 file from a Sims 2 neighborhood.

If you have an existing SC4 file, you can import it into a small city in a SimCity 4 region by placing the city into your SimCity 4 Downloads folder, usually found at <Documents>\SimCity 4\Regions\Downloads
Test Subject
#75 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
No. There's no way to extract an SC4 file from a Sims 2 neighborhood.

If you have an existing SC4 file, you can import it into a small city in a SimCity 4 region by placing the city into your SimCity 4 Downloads folder, usually found at <Documents>\SimCity 4\Regions\Downloads

Thanks so much! I have made a few cities, but I'm never truly happy with them, lol. I guess with practice I'll get the hang of it and come up with something to satisfy me. Thanks again for the reply!
Page 3 of 4