Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Dolphin's Control-This-Sim Hack (Updated 2006-03-26)

by dolphin26 Posted 16th Mar 2006 at 11:57 PM - Updated 5th Mar 2008 at 2:16 AM by dolphin26 : keywords

120 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 111 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 12:09 AM
Wow this is amazing, thanks!

Who knew that being Black was soo hard!
Need a Personal Sim? PM Me...
http://www.myspace.com/skeetrmypeetr4231 (Sorry Skeetr)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 12:16 AM
This is actually cool! So, what you are saying is... your control hack is the only one that immediately retains a Sim's status when unselected after selected? The Insimenator does not have that? Just making sure. Thank you!
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 12:33 AM
I dont understand the 4 stars. This is definately a 5 star material. Good job!
Inventor
#5 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 12:54 AM
Just what I was needing for my OFB, thanks so much.

*♥.¸Here we go again .♥*
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
This is actually cool! So, what you are saying is... your control hack is the only one that immediately retains a Sim's status when unselected after selected? The Insimenator does not have that? Just making sure. Thank you!

You do have to choose "stop controling this sim" to have the status replaced, but otherwise, yes. I'm pretty sure the insimenator's method of unselecting a sim would not restore an employee's status because they always replace the NPC type to a specific value. That method does have the advantage that you can easily make many sims available to be selected. This hack will only allow you to select one extra sim at a time.
Theorist
#7 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 2:29 AM
THANK YOU!!! I really love this thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 2:44 AM
this is amazing, awesome job

Do not post my creations anywhere unless you have my permission

Check out my website!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 3:13 AM
Thanks a lot for this, it will certainly make the game better :nod:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie

FYI: Eric posted on his website that the insim 2.3 edition is out, and that it has the employee issues resolved. I don't know how he does it with multiple sims; perhaps he just adjusts for the specific case of an employee.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 5:55 AM
wow great!!! thanks
Forum Resident
#12 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 7:22 AM
i dont like adding comments in hacks but i really wanted to add here
i really needed such hack
its awsome
its very handy for my hospital-
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 10:22 AM
Thanks, good work !!!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 12:26 PM
O, can i control other sim to buy stuff like they never did before at my shop???

---------------------------------------------------

Member of the MTS2

Visit here : So Romantic Titan

---------------------------------------------------
Scholar
#15 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 1:46 PM
Thanks, I was looking for something like this and yours will work just fine for me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NightFire
O, can i control other sim to buy stuff like they never did before at my shop???

Yes, but if your sims never buy things at your shop, it might be because there is a problem with your shop. Do you have a register placed? And have you priced the items you want to sell?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 8:20 PM
Good work Dolphin, but is it really different than using "make selectable" under the "testingcheatsenabled" provided by Maxis?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mosbyte
Good work Dolphin, but is it really different than using "make selectable" under the "testingcheatsenabled" provided by Maxis?

I've never been able to get the one that comes with testing cheats to work. For me, it always seems like it does nothing, and I still can't select the sim. Does it work for you? And can you unselect an employee and still have them act as an employee afterwards? If the answers to both of those questions is "yes", then I suppose so.
Scholar
#19 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 9:39 PM Last edited by anelca : 18th Mar 2006 at 2:03 AM.
even if it is the same, this makes it so much simpler to control other sims especilly if you want to switch selection between different sims. i hate having to type all that testingcheats stuff out , equally i hate stuff cluttering up my usercheat file, or forget what i've assigned to enable what cheat
i also like the idea of the feature that the selected sim will remain selected until i choose otherwise
just about to give this a go and i'll get back if theres anything i find amiss

edit: nothing amiss, but just wanted to say it works really well. much as i loved merolas mirror, (i never liked the insim) this mod is better and will be one i won't be able to live without. thanks for the work
Instructor
#20 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 12:24 AM
I've used this in-game, and it's wonderful - my visitors now stay longer, and I can help them fulfil wants while they're visiting.

Thankyou very much for this - I prefer individual hacks so I can pick and choose what I want to alter in my game.

Check out my sexy male sim creations! http://www.insimenator.net/forumdisplay.php?f=170
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dolphin26
I've never been able to get the one that comes with testing cheats to work. For me, it always seems like it does nothing, and I still can't select the sim. Does it work for you? And can you unselect an employee and still have them act as an employee afterwards? If the answers to both of those questions is "yes", then I suppose so.

Dolphin, I've never had any problems using the built-in "make selectable", and any number of visitors can be made into controllable sims (other lots, townies or NPC's) for as long as one wants them to be; just be careful they miss work if employed. All it takes is to have the cheat active, and using an already controllable sim, pointing to the desired character and holding SHIFT while clicking. He/she can be made unselectable the same way, and for that matter, any resident of the lot can also be made unselectable and will go away like a visitor (for as long as that lot is loaded.)

I used Merola's mirror for a long time, and I still like it for the fact that a sim calling on the phone can be made selectable (crazy, isn't it?) and his/her traits altered on the spot without being present! Still, I prefer the simplicity and power of the Maxis cheat.

I don't quite understand what you mean about employees, given that they already are autonomous players during a normal game. If they're made selectable and then unselectable, I assume they will go right back to work... is this what you mean? If so, I'll have to test it out.

In any case, thanks for your contribution, I'll give it a try.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 1:16 PM
This is working great! I love the convenience of being able to select the sim in order to control him/her. There's one thing though, when you use it on a dorm lot, the game thinks you've added the person (even if its an NPC) to the household, and you get the pop up that there's no more room in the dorm, and someone will move out.

I don't actually think it's a problem with your mod...I had that happen once when my sim invited a date home to the dorm, and the date continued there. The game read the blue date plumpbob as an addition to the household.

It's no biggie, as once you un-control the sim, another dormie eventually moves back in. I pretty much ignore the dormies anyway. I'm never sure who's living there, and who's just hanging about.

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ilikefishfood
This is working great! I love the convenience of being able to select the sim in order to control him/her. There's one thing though, when you use it on a dorm lot, the game thinks you've added the person (even if its an NPC) to the household, and you get the pop up that there's no more room in the dorm, and someone will move out.

I don't actually think it's a problem with your mod...I had that happen once when my sim invited a date home to the dorm, and the date continued there. The game read the blue date plumpbob as an addition to the household.

It's no biggie, as once you un-control the sim, another dormie eventually moves back in. I pretty much ignore the dormies anyway. I'm never sure who's living there, and who's just hanging about.

Yep, I've gotten that when I used other methods to make a sim selectable in dorms before. (I was using insiminator at the time, but I think any select-this-sim type hack will have this problem.) Note that it isn't a problem if you select a dormie; just if you select someone from outside the lot.

In order to fix this, I'd have to edit a global BHAV, and I'd like to avoid doing that. Actually, since this affects other's selection hacks as well, I think that sounds like a good idea for someone to write a stand-alone hack to do. They would just need to make the BHAV that checks for there being enough space in the dorm dependent on what family the sim belongs to rather than the sim being selectable or not.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dolphin26
In order to fix this, I'd have to edit a global BHAV, and I'd like to avoid doing that. Actually, since this affects other's selection hacks as well, I think that sounds like a good idea for someone to write a stand-alone hack to do. They would just need to make the BHAV that checks for there being enough space in the dorm dependent on what family the sim belongs to rather than the sim being selectable or not.

Totally not worth the hassle; it is really such a minor issue.

I'm using it with both the OFB version of inSIM and Merola's mirror, as they all have their specific uses.....I am a total control freak, and need the subtle differences that each of these allow me. Thanks again!

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Field Researcher
#25 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 10:29 AM
Very cool hack. Seems like it'd be very useful. I'll definitely toy around with this when I actually start some businessed.

I just wanted to say, there seems to be some confusion, or maybe I'm the only one that's confused as to what is classified as an object hack versus a global hack...

Although this hack does not specifically modify any "global" BHAVs, it is my understanding that it is still global in the sense that the options will show up for any lot. Right? Although you mention that it would be especially useful for controlling employees on business lots, it is implied that this can be used on any lot for any family. Well, if that is the case, then the effect overall is a global one i.e. one that can't be really be "turned off" and is always available on every lot.

Although these options are contained on an object, it is my understanding (and of course, I may be totally wrong here) that an object mod refers to mods that have options that are "self-contained" within that object. In other words, it is an actual object that needs to be spawned or purchased or maybe even crafted (now with OFB). A hacked object is not necessarily present on every lot and therefore, the features or options of a hacked object will not always be available on every lot, to every sim on that lot.

Anyways, this is my understanding (or interpretation :P) of the differences between a hacked object mod and global mods. Object mods aren't just mods that modify objects, they are mods that are self-contained within an object. Mods that affect objects on a global level i.e. that can't be "turned off" are actually global mods.

Well, I know that a lot of mods here don't necessarily conform to those criteria anyway. Don't mind me really, I'm just whining about something in general. :P

But definitely a cool idea. I tend to prefer global type mods like these rather than relying on object mods, mostly because I am lazy and don't want to be bothered with having to remember to buy and place objects on every lot that I want it affect, unless they are specific, self-contained object mods with some new mesh or new function or what not, that is unique.

Ste
Page 1 of 5