Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 10:33 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 12th Nov 2009 at 5:07 PM. Reason: New version of object uploaded - noting which languages are now part of that
Default Job Seeking Noticeboard - Translation help required
I got a suggestion to add other languages to my Job Seeking Noticeboard

Although there is a major update to the object - Pet Jobs now also added to the noticeboard, there is no additional translation requirements. The only new string was identical to the one in the newspaper "Find Pet Job For..." and so I could steal the translations from there.

There are only four strings that form part of this object, so I thought I would have a go at getting other languages supported. In fact one of the strings was identical to that used by the computer and newspaper "There are no more jobs available today". So I could grab the translations directly from that string set in the game. I noticed in doing so that the following languages were just english, so I don't intend to provide translations of those in my object either. I'd be interested to know if these languages are normally provided by the game if there are any of these language natives playing with an installation in one of these languages.
  • Hebrew
  • Hindi
  • Arabic
  • Bulgairan
  • Cyrillic
  • Ukranian - provided by Jasana_BugBreeder (now part of uploaded object - 23Nov)
  • Greek
  • Icelandic
  • Romanian
  • Latin
  • Slovak
  • Albanian
  • Turkish - provided by CorleoneFamily (now part of uploaded object - 20May)
  • Swiss French
  • Canadian French
  • Belgian French
  • Swiss German
  • Swiss Italian
  • Belgian Dutch
  • Mexican Spanish
  • Tagalog
  • Vietnamese
Edit: I tried bablefish, but from the feedback of native speakers, it seems babelfish is not particularly accurate! So I now have a policy not to add translations to an object unless a native speaker of that language has provided them!
Edit: Have sussed out how to get Asian character sets on my machine now, so was able to make use of the Simplified Chinese translation that Angella provided and can accept the others too.
  • U.S. English - provided by GeneralOperationsDirector (now part of uploaded object - 23Nov2008)
  • French - provided by pixelhate (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • German - provided by Isus01010 and Cytron (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • Italian - provided by Numenor (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • Spanish - provided by simmary (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • Dutch - provided by leesester (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • Russian - provided by Jasana_BugBreeder (now part of uploaded object - 23Nov2008)
  • Portuguese - provided by ABCRic (now part of uploaded object - 20May2009)
  • Danish - provided by kastel345 (now part of uploaded object - 24Dec2008)
  • Swedish - provided by satinn (now part of uploaded object - 23Nov2008)
  • Norwegian - provided by Jumelia (now part of uploaded object - 23Nov2008)
  • Finnish - provided by kagemusha (now part of uploaded object - 23Nov2008)
  • Polish - provided by kacper1703 (now part of uploaded object - 24Dec2008)
  • Thai - provided by siddharath (now part of uploaded object - 20May2009)
  • Czech - provided by Mamonek (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • Hungarian
  • Brazilian Portuguese - provided by prudencechan (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • Japanese
  • Simplified Chinese - provided by Angella (now part of uploaded object - 08Nov2008)
  • Traditional Chinese
  • Korean - provided by gracepline (now part of uploaded object - 12Nov2009)

Given that English is the only spoken language I can really lay claim too (I know lots of programming languages but they don't really help me on this one!) I would be most grateful if there were any of you out there that were able to provide translations for me. I will give credit to any people who help, in my object thread posting.

The text strings that need to be translated are as follows:-

Title
(used for both title in dialog and catalog object title
"Job Seeking Noticeboard"

Catalog Description
"Looking in a newspaper is unlikely to find you your dream job. Come to the Job Centre and all your dreams (of jobs) will come true."

Menu action string
"Find a Job in..."

Cheers
Mog
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 11:32 PM
here is the correct traduction, i hope be a help for you:

"Job Seeking Noticeboard"- "Panel de búsqueda de empleo".

"Looking in a newspaper is unlikely to find you your dream job. Come to the Job Centre and all your dreams (of jobs) will come true."- "Buscando en un periódico es improbable encontrar tu empleo ideal. Ven a la oficina de empleo y todos tus sueños/deseos (o trabajos) se harán realidad".
Your keyboard don,t have letter "ñ", i think, so i change sueños(dreams) for deseos(desires).

"Find a Job in..."- correctly. In spanish is "Encuentre un trabajo en..."

any question, say me, please.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmary
here is the correct traduction, i hope be a help for you:

Many Thanks simmary - I have captured your translations to put into my object. When I upload a new version to the main thread your name will be credited.
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 12:13 PM Last edited by Cytron : 26th Oct 2008 at 1:01 PM.
Title
=====
English: "Job Seeking Noticeboard"
German: "Job-Suche Anschlagtafel"

Catalog Description
===================
English: "Looking in a newspaper is unlikely to find you your dream job. Come to the Job Centre and all your dreams (of jobs) will come true."

German: "Mit einem Blick in die Zeitung ist es eher unwahrscheinlich, dass Sie Ihren Traumjob finden. Kommen Sie zum Job-Center und all Ihre Träume und Wünsche in Bezug auf Ihre Arbeit werden wahr."

(If you want you can write "Arbeitsamt" and not "Job-Center". But in Germany it's "cool" to use englisch words, lol )

Menu action string
==================
English: "Find a Job in..."
German: "Finden Sie einen Job in..."

---
EDIT:

I forgot to ask, you want a formal "you" or a familiar "you"? Because we say "Sie" to a strange person, and "Du" to a friend.
see here: http://german.about.com/od/grammar/a/Siedu.htm

Maxis use a familiar "you":
Title
=====
English: "Job Seeking Noticeboard"
German: "Job-Suche Anschlagtafel"

Catalog Description
===================
English: "Looking in a newspaper is unlikely to find you your dream job. Come to the Job Centre and all your dreams (of jobs) will come true."

German: "Mit einem Blick in die Zeitung ist es eher unwahrscheinlich, dass du deinen Traumjob findest. Komme zum Job-Center und all deine Träume und Wünsche in Bezug auf deine Arbeit werden wahr."

Menu action string
==================
English: "Find a Job in..."
German: "Finde einen Job in..."
Scholar
#5 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 4:15 PM
A French translation..
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: txt French.txt

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 4:19 PM
ITALIAN:

Title
=====
Bacheca delle offerte di lavoro

Catalog Description
===================
Semplicemente guardando sul giornale, è improbabile trovare il lavoro dei vostri sogni. Venite all'Ufficio Collocamento e tutti i vostri sogni (riguardanti il lavoro) si avvereranno.

Menu action string
==================
Cerca lavoro nel campo...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 8:49 PM
Many thanks to Isus01010 (via PM), Cytron, pixelhate and Numenor. Your translations are very much appreciated.

I have now decided that Bablefish is not the way to go - my policy is now to only put in translations from native speakers.
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 1:06 PM
Hi! Here's the Brazilian Portuguese translation.

Title: "Painel de Busca de Emprego"

Catalog Description: "Procurando num jornal, é improvável que você encontre seu emprego dos sonhos. Venha ao Centro de Empregos e todos os seus sonhos (profissionais) serão realizados."

Menu action string: "Encontrar trabalho em..."
Test Subject
#9 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 2:58 PM
Default Czech
Title

Nástěnka hledání zaměstnání

Catalog Description

Při hledání v novinách, je nepravděpodobné, že najdete svoji vysněnou práci. Přijďte do 'Pracovního centra' a všechny vaše sny (pracovní místa) se stanou skutečností.

Menu action string

Najít zaměstnání v...
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 9:52 PM
Dutch version attached
Attached files:
File Type: txt  MTS2_MogHughson_Translations dutch.txt (4.2 KB, 7 downloads)
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 11:30 PM
Many thanks to prudencechan, Mamonek and leesester. Your translations are gratefully received.
Test Subject
#12 Old 7th Nov 2008 at 3:55 PM
Default Simplified Chinese
Here's the Simplified Chinese translation

Title
职业介绍公告栏

Catalog Description
"Looking in a newspaper is unlikely to find you your dream job. Come to the Job Centre and all your dreams (of jobs) will come true."
在报纸上很难找到你梦想中的工作。来职业介绍所吧,你所有梦想的工作都将实现啦!

Menu action string
"Find a Job in..."
寻找工作…
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 8:29 PM
Many thanks Angella - I have worked out how to get Asian character sets on my machine, so am now able to use your translation correctly. Wonderful!
#14 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 8:50 PM
Would you like an American English translation, to go with your UK English text? If so, just change Centre to Center, and I believe the rest will pass.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Would you like an American English translation, to go with your UK English text? If so, just change Centre to Center, and I believe the rest will pass.

I never thought of that
You've just missed the cut for the updated object - if I get any more translations, I will add a US English just for you. Thanks
Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector

HAHAHA! That's funny!

Suede Bed at RegencyShop.com | micro suede comforter set Clearance Sale!
Test Subject
#17 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:51 PM
Here's Finnish for you

Title
= Työpaikkailmoitustaulu

Catalog Description
= Sanomalehden selailu ei todennäköisesti auta sinua löytämään unelmiesi ammattia. Tule Työtoimistolle ja kaikki unelmatyösi käyvät toteen.

Menu action string
"Find a Job in..."
= Etsi töitä alalta...
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 5:17 PM
In Swedish:

Title
"Anslagstavla för Arbetssökande"

Catalog Description
"I tidningen lär du inte hitta ditt drömjobb. Kom till Arbetsförmedlingen och alla dina drömmar (om arbete) kan bli sanna!"

"Arbetsförmedlingen" isn't really a vocabulary word, you could change it to "Jobbcentret" which would be the Job Centre in direct translation. However, in Sweden "Arbetsförmedlingen" is the authority that manages job offers and helps to find an occupation for the unemployed. Directly translated it's the Employment Management, which sounds a lot more professional and all, to my ears.

Menu action string
"Sök ett jobb inom..."
Test Subject
#19 Old 22nd Nov 2008 at 9:51 AM
Norwegian:

Title
"Oppslagstavle for Jobbsøkende"

Catalog Description
"Å finne drømmejobben din i avisen er usannsynlig. Kom til jobbsenteret, og alle dine ønsker og drømmer (om jobber) vil bli sanne."

Menu action string
"Finn en jobb innen..."
Slippery When Wet
#20 Old 22nd Nov 2008 at 10:45 AM
Re. the list of languages from Hebrew ... Vietnamese.
I noticed these exact same list of languages was broken in the school chance cards too. Not only were they in english, but the strings were in the wrong slots.
So if there are people using these languages, then I'd guess they have some other localized distribution.

Just think, we'd have less CD's to install if they actually removed all that redundent crap
Instructor
#21 Old 23rd Nov 2008 at 9:02 AM
I never play the game in non-English, so translations may not exactly match the game's, but at least they should be [more or less] linguistically correct

Russian

Title
"Доска открытых вакансий"

Catalog Description
"Вряд ли вы найдете работу вашей мечты в газетах. Приходите в Центр Занятости, и все ваши мечты (о работе ) сбудутся."

Menu action string
"Искать работу в области..."

Ukrainian

Title
"Дошка відкритих вакансій"

Catalog Description
"Навряд чи ви знайдете роботу вашої мрії в газетах. Приходьте до Центра Зайнятості, і всі ваші мрії (про роботу ) здійсняться."

Menu action string
"Шукати роботу за напрямком..."

P.S. :E why it converts a letter to smilie even CODE tag doesn't help In both Catalog Descriptions, there shouldn't be space before )
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 23rd Nov 2008 at 3:56 PM
Many thanks to kagemusha, satinn, Jumelia and Jasana_BugBreeder. Your translations are most welcome.

Jasana_BugBreeder: Space before bracket noted and removed in the object. I don't know whether any users will be able to use Ukranian or not - maybe tunaisafish is correct that there is another localized distribution. I will add it to the object and see if there is any feedback. Since you only play in English - I guess you are not aware of a Ukrainian version.

btw - can I ask one small additional favour? Because Ukrainian is not one of the languages my game has strings for I was unable to steal the string "There are no more jobs available today" from the existing strings in the computer and newspaper objects. If you could translate that one into Ukrainian too that would give them the full set (if indeed they are able to use the game in Ukrainian).
Instructor
#23 Old 23rd Nov 2008 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
I don't know whether any users will be able to use Ukranian or not - maybe tunaisafish is correct that there is another localized distribution.
I remember a person asking for a way to translate the [whole] game into Ukrainian a while ago (on other forum), so at least there wasn't such distribution few addons ago. On the other hand, majority of Ukrainians know Russian so they are likely playing Russian version. Wouldn't hurt to add translation anyway

"There are no more jobs available today" would translate into "Інших відкритих вакансій на сьогодні немає".
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Nov 2008 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasana_BugBreeder
Wouldn't hurt to add translation anyway

My feelings precisely - Added. Thanks.
Test Subject
#25 Old 24th Nov 2008 at 1:46 PM Last edited by kastel345 : 24th Nov 2008 at 2:24 PM. Reason: forgot to translate 1 thing... one thing more... again... and again.. so now its should be correct
Danish

Job seeking noticeboard:
Opslagstavle for jobansøgere.

Catalog description:

Ved at søge i en avis, er det usandsynligt, at du ville finde dit drømmejob(eller drømmejobs), brug derfor denne jobansøgningstavle (Tilladelse fra arbejdstyrelsen er inkluderede).

Menu action string:
Find et arbejde i...

There are no more jobs available today:
Der er ikke flere ledige jobs i dag.

I'm from Denmark, so the translation should be correct. ^^'
Page 1 of 2