Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#51 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 7:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Raye89
I have been playing the violin since I was in 5th grade (7 years). In our school everyone in 5th grade is required to either take Band, Orchestra, or Choir. I had wanted to play the violin ever since I saw the 7th grade orchestra perform for us when I was in 4th grade so when I was able to chose my instrument, the violin was all I tried.

I joined Choir in my Junior Year (along with doing Orchestra) but Orchestra will always be my fav.

It was the same for me, too, but we didn't have orchestra. I did band and choir, but the choir wasn't for the whole school year. Our school wouldn't allow violins though. :confused: I played the clarinet and piano.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stormy
It was the same for me, too, but we didn't have orchestra. I did band and choir, but the choir wasn't for the whole school year. Our school wouldn't allow violins though. :confused: I played the clarinet and piano.

Wouldn't allow violins? That's odd. It's sad that there aren't many school who have Orchestra. In my state, there aren't many schools that have Orchestra and even fewer that have really good Orchestras like ours. It's a shame really.

Life isn't measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Theorist
#53 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 11:56 AM
You guys who get a chance to learn in school are lucky. We didn't have any opportunity to learn anything apart from 'the recorder' from grade 4 up. In middle school I was offered the chello but it wasn't my thing. I would have LOVED to learn the flute.
When I was older I took keyboard lessons and owned a keyboard but I was pretty hopeless.

Put me down as someone who loves music but can't play it.
My husband learned guitar (electric) and a few other instruments and he adores music but he quit after only getting so far... you know, if you want to exceed you have to practice so much and that is hard as you get older. (finding the time).

My son is getting the chance next year to learn something (4th grade). He chose the violin but I don't know if we will be moving and if his new school offers any instruments. I also don't know if that is the right instrument for him.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Test Subject
#54 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 11:58 AM
I play clarinet, bass clarinet, and contrabass clarinet. All three were started for band. I've been playing the clarinet and bass clarinet for six years (since fourth grade), and the contrabass clarinet I just started this year. It is also larger than me.
Test Subject
#55 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 12:04 PM
I can play guitar very well and i have just started to learn the keyboard. I started playing guitar because i got one for christmas and i wanted to play keyboard for my band.

rock n roll can never stop being the best music
along with rap
sims 2 is a classic game .
Fave band:GreenDay
Original Poster
#56 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ILoveHugs02
I play clarinet, bass clarinet, and contrabass clarinet. All three were started for band. I've been playing the clarinet and bass clarinet for six years (since fourth grade), and the contrabass clarinet I just started this year. It is also larger than me.

Don't ya just love clarinets!
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by delirious
What, no bassoon players?

Oh, I would love to play bassoon! No, seriously. And the English horn. Just lovely, both of them. I play oboe, have since fifth grade. I was actually allowed to start on the oboe (as opposed to starting with clarinet and transitioning). I chose oboe because it was unusual; I liked that the band director described it as being very difficult to learn, so it was probably a self-challenge thing, too. I also played pit percussion and in the drum line in the marching band (because you can't march with an oboe! ), and I have taught myself some guitar and piano because I've always wanted to play both of those, especially the piano. It's so calming to sit down and just play away your stress, and it doesn't make your mouth sore, like the oboe.
Test Subject
#58 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stormy
Don't ya just love clarinets!

Yes I do. =]
Test Subject
#59 Old 5th Jun 2007 at 8:38 AM
I can play a bit of keyboard and drums. I've been writing music on my pc a lot over the last few years but I always come back to my guitar. I recently bought my dream guitar, a Fender Jaguar, and I love playing it even though I'm terribly out of practice. I would love to be able to play it a hell of a lot better, but I still get a lot of joy out of playing with my current skills. You just can't beat the feeling of picking up and playing an instrument.
Test Subject
#60 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 3:27 AM
I play the trumpet and the french horn.

I just love the sound of the horn, I just started it recently. I like more unique instruments like that. Not enough people play them, they're just not as popular..things like oboe, bassoon, tuba...
Original Poster
#61 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NintendoRox42
I play the trumpet and the french horn.

I just love the sound of the horn, I just started it recently. I like more unique instruments like that. Not enough people play them, they're just not as popular..things like oboe, bassoon, tuba...

I love the oboe! I love the way it sounds! I was learning how to play it back when I was in high school, but had to stop. I should probably pick it up again.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 3:48 AM
I dont play anything but I would love to play the snare drum. It sounds soooooooo coooool

I love Jude Law
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 3:56 AM
I play the clarinet. Over here, when you get into fifth grade, you get a choice of Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophone, and Snare Drums. When I was in fifth grade, I chose the clarinet because I was the best at it. I was okay when I tested out the trumpet, but the clarinet was easier.
#64 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 11:38 AM
I play the banjo, piano, ukulele and guitar.
The banjo is the only one I've really held an interest for, I took it up about two years ago because I was told it was really hard to learn and wanted the challenge. Now I can't imagine not being able to play it. Had some trouble with my wrist from it though.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 6:05 PM
I've played piano for the past four years. It has been a passion of mine since I began. I had a run-in with one of my teachers a while back, she treated me extremely unprofessionally and I stopped lessons to teach myself for a year. Last year I signed up for lessons once again, it turned out much better than my previous experiences. This past February I entered my first competition and received a superior marking.

I've attempted to play guitar but failed miserably. I also took a quick stab at bass, just about played my fingers bloody and decided I didn't want to learn it quite that badly.
Scholar
#66 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 4:34 PM
I don't know what posessed me but I bought a keyboard. For no reasons. XP Failed, failed.

I do love the recorder, but it was compulsory for everyone in school. I can play by ear, and it's really nice to hear the sounds (I sound really cheesy, I know).

And since I don't know how to read notes, I dig up my recorder books and play since it has things like AABG....and that pretty much explains it! XD
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 12th Jun 2007 at 10:30 PM
Yay Delirious! Another bassoon player! We're few and far between, huh? I'm a multi-instrumentalist myself (I'm not expecting anyone to get the Mighty Boosh reference, here). I play sax and guitar, too, but not as well as the bassoon.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 7:52 PM
I play the clarinet and bass clarinet (I absolutely love the bass clarinet. It makes me feel strong) and I sing. I'm an alto. I can pick out a tune on the piano and I can blow something on the recorder.
Test Subject
#69 Old 15th Jun 2007 at 2:47 PM
Self taught on guitar, rock, blues, jazz. No lead guitar hero me, play the melody sweetly.
Same for piano, just for my own fun, really. Little hands, can't span a full octave, bummer.
And I do like to wail some dirty gravelly blues sax, when I get the chance.
Hit the pigskin for some old time country and western stuff. When I get the time from the farm I like to just jam with other players of my vintage. Picked up a friends double Bass a couple of years ago. That felt so nice to play, the notes just started to run from my finger tips. Wish I could afford to buy one.

Living in a rural area, seldom get the chance to get together with other muso's these days. Miss it some times. Don't miss the theatricals and the temper tantrums.
A bit like Ginger Baker, drummer from legendary 1960's British blues band Cream. I'm more than happy on the farm with the cows and the chickens. And every now and then I re-emerge to play a day and run away, back to the farm.
You've never heard of me?
Great, at last my strategy is working.
It's nice here on the farm. :howdy:
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 16th Jun 2007 at 6:25 AM
I started piano lessons when I was 4. I hated it at the time but I love playing now.

When I was 15 I started to teach myself guitar as I obviously wanted to be in a band hahahaha. I took a guitar course at school when I was 16. I got 120% because my teacher was awesome and because I recorded a CD and gave it to him which he played in the staff room. I was embarassed. But it gave me the excessive marks, so it was alright.

I learned trumpet for grade 7 band, but I kept it up because I also wanted to be in a ska band at one time.

hahahaha

And now I'm learning the accordion. I was inspired to do this by Arcade Fire (do I talk about them too much?) and now I'm saving up for an upright bass. But I don't make much money so it'll be a while.
Test Subject
#71 Old 17th Jun 2007 at 6:50 PM
I can play the flute and piano. I started playing the piano first, because my parents wanted me to get a hobby. So at age 10 I started playing, and I didn't like it alot. My teacher was a b....nevermind. She wouldn't let me play anything that wasnt classical, while she let her daughters play modern, including Harry Potter, which made me really mad. One day when I was 11, I asked my mom if I could play a another instrument. She said sure, which one? I thought for a minute. If I said trumpet, I would get my grandfather's instrument, if I said trombone I would get my uncle's, if I said clarinet I would get my mother's and I didnt' want to play violin. So I said, Flute...just because it looks cool and maybe i could quit piano....boy was I wrong. For 4 years i took flute and piano lessons. Then when I started High School, I decided to quit piano and stick with Flute. I don't meant to brag, but by my sophomore year, I was first chair flute in my high school band and the teacher's pet (I really couldn't help it). I quit band my senior year and now I regret it. but, at least i have my flute still.
#72 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 1:09 PM
I play the keyboard really well, 90 words per minute sometimes, most time are around 70, hahaha, sorry I can't help it. Nah couldn't play anything perfectly! When I was little, all my friends play the piano, well not all, most of them were sent to piano lessen by their parents, none of them are pianist or composer or singer or has anything to do with music now, I wanted to play the piano, but it was a very expensive thing to learn at that time when I was, you've to have a piano at least or access to a piano, no access, and no piano. A decent piano would cost around 4k when i was little which is a very big deal, to buy a 4k instruments and not know if you are going to be able to achieve anything with it. One of my friend start playing the piano at age 5, this one's a genius, she play amazingly, shes an engineer now, double major! and she sleeps A LOT! hahaha. I remember her extra long fingers, which I don't have and when you want to do that thumb and little fingers menuveour (spelling and forgot what that maneuvour is called) back and forth back and forth on 2 keys far apart, i tell you its impossible. I blame that on my short fingers. But I have passion for the piano. I think if in this life time, I could some how manage to play a Rachmaninoff, I'd die with a smile, but I have to be content with Richard Claydermen at the moment. :smash:
Test Subject
#73 Old 4th Jul 2007 at 1:37 AM
Piano, Snare and base drum, glockenspiel.. i'm a total band geek
Test Subject
#74 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 5:04 AM
I play the cello because it's beautiful and i love the sound it makes. End of story; love at first listen.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 6th Jul 2007 at 5:28 AM
i played the flute from grade 7 all the way to grade 10. i was pretty good and it was a lot of fun. I stopped because of a scheduling conflict, and I'm really sad that i didn't continue. I found playing music to be really relaxing and band was a great break in the school day.

My bf took violin lessons from a very early age, and he's very good but he's also stopped in the past few years, which is sad. He also plays the clarinet and the piano, but not as well.

I see the music majors around on campus sometimes and i really wish that i could have done some music in university but oh well... I just really liked being good at something and having a hobby.

Eagles may soar, but bunnies don't get sucked into jet engines
Page 3 of 4