Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#51 Old 12th May 2008 at 5:55 AM
can i stall join i have my pics but i cant post them tell tomro cause i had to to go work erily and im stall there so i can stall join
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#52 Old 12th May 2008 at 2:32 PM
I'm giving a last extension of TONIGHT at 10 PM US Central time. If your application is not in by then, or is incomplete, you will not be able to continue. Round 1 will be posted this evening, for those that would like a head start on it.

And thank you for the entries, all!

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
#53 Old 12th May 2008 at 8:18 PM
Head start? I'll be in bed by then! But I do appreciate the thought.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 13th May 2008 at 12:34 AM
Application - Janelle Scott

What’s your name? Janelle Scott
Your occupation? Architectural Engineer and Interior Designer
Your age? 28
Where are you from? Sierra Vista, Arizona
How did you start designing? Although I studied Architectural Engineering in college, I've always had a passion for design on a smaller, more intimate scale. Interior design brings me that satisfaction. Now I have my own firm where I can be involved in both: Carpe Diem Company, Inc.
How do you describe your personal design style? I have a very eclectic style. Anything from modern to shabby chic to old world. I like to play around with all styles!

My Company's Office

This is the front desk where clients are greeted by the receptionist.

This is the computer work area. Lots of books and lots of papers.

This is the design studio where we make drafts and plan. This is also where we make custom items such as window treatments.

Featured Design

This is a lounge area I created for a client a month ago. I love how the colors came together.

My Room

What can I say? My room is always undergoing a style change. This time I decided to showcase some unique items I picked up during my trip to Europe. I fell in love with that mirror. And guess what...it was only $8!

Instructor
Original Poster
#55 Old 13th May 2008 at 1:35 PM
Well, what with the downtime last night, I didn't get it posted. I'll be posting it in just a little while, though. I'll be in the pool all evening. So... APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. ROUND ONE WILL BE POSTED MOMENTARILY.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Instructor
Original Poster
#56 Old 13th May 2008 at 2:45 PM
Default Round One: Loft Design
Round One: Loft Design
Budget: 500,000 simoleans or less

Welcome, designers, to Top Design, and your very first task.

Your task will be to design a one bedroom, one bath loft, complete with kitchen, eating area, living area, bedroom, and bath - all for 500,000 simoleans or less. Here is your floorplan:

This is an overhead view. As you can see, your kitchen/dining area (black floor tile) is quite spacious, as is your living area (wood floor). Bedroom and bath are smaller, but still adequate.

This is a frontal view of your loft space. The loft features glass doors and windows.

Total cost (as it is): 9,291
Features: Ebrasure Windows, Glimpse of Freedom Door, Valuewood Lumber's Justadoor, Glassterpieces Privacy Windows, White Tile Atomica, Polished Bamboo Light, Knight's Classic Noir All Purpose Tile Floor, Colbalt Stucco, Sweet Betsy Wallpaper, Beachy Keen Paint with White Kick Moulding.

You're free to rip up floors, replace wall treatment, doors, windows, whatever you want, as long as you remain in budget.

Each of you will design this in your own personal style. Design it as if you were moving into it.

Pictures Required
One overhead shot of the loft.
At least 5 close shots (one for each room), but no more than 8 close shots total.
One frontal shot, as exampled in your floorplan shot.
One shot of you in the loft.
One more headshot, this time on a plain black background, for your confessional.
Total shots: 9 minimum, 12 maximum.

Confession Questions
Remember, these are required! Not having them will deduct points off your total score!

Total Spent on Room: (subtract 9,921 if you use the floorplan as it is. To figure this up, click on the 'Info' button in Build/Buy more)

1) What was it like to design within a budget? Easy? Hard? Easy sometimes and hard others?
2) Is your original concept 'in tact'? Or did some elements have to go due to budget contstraints?
3) What's your favorite element of the room?
4) Who, in your opinion, is your biggest competition?

We'll see you in the Green Room on May 17, contestants! (Round ends on May 17th, at 10 PM).

DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED!!!!
You now must have all entries complete by May 18th at 12 Noon my time. That's SUNDAY! Any incomplete/nonexistent entries will be considered ELIMINATED!

You may not tear down exterior walls. Interior walls may be put up and reworked, but include that in your budget (as best you can).

RULING ON CHEAP CC (furniture):
Try to stay within as realistic of pricing as you can. I can see a $1 lamp (yard sale, anyone?) but not a $1 sofa. Any questions, PM me a link to the set if you can.

RULING ON CHEAP CC (walls and floors):
Go nuts. If it's free, it's a no no. But $1 wall treatments and floors are a different story.

#57 Old 13th May 2008 at 6:45 PM
srry i wasnot able to get my pic in on time we are moving and i did not have my computer unpack tell today but i well watch to see how ti goews
Field Researcher
#58 Old 13th May 2008 at 7:14 PM
Quick question:
The Round 1 info has two budgets listed: 500,000 simoleans or less is stated in both the introductory post on page 1 and the bolded budget on top of the round information proper, but it says 100,000 simoleans in the italics in the second sentence of the round description.

Which budget is the official budget? Sorry if I'm just a blockhead and I'm just missing something obvious.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
#59 Old 13th May 2008 at 8:33 PM
Quote:
You're free to rip up floors, replace wall treatment, doors, windows, whatever you want, as long as you remain in budget.

Does this mean we can also tear down and build new walls, such as enlarging some rooms and decreasing the size of others?

Also, ditto on the budget question...AND is there any ruling on the custom content that costs only $1 or very little in comparison to Maxis furniture, wall coverings, etcetera? Are we free to use those or no?
Instructor
Original Poster
#60 Old 13th May 2008 at 10:58 PM
It's 500,000. I fail at early morning in general, I wanted this up early. So very sorry!

You may not tear down exterior walls. Interior walls may be put up and reworked, but include that in your budget (as best you can).

RULING ON CHEAP CC (furniture):
Try to stay within as realistic of pricing as you can. I can see a $1 lamp (yard sale, anyone?) but not a $1 sofa. Any questions, PM me a link to the set if you can.

RULING ON CHEAP CC (walls and floors):
Go nuts. If it's free, it's a no no. But $1 wall treatments and floors are a different story.

Test Subject
#61 Old 13th May 2008 at 11:20 PM
Do you want us to do anything to the exterior of the house?
#62 Old 13th May 2008 at 11:40 PM
I think you're allowed to change wall treatments i.e the look of the outside and the type of windows and doors you use but its an "inteior" design contest so Im sure i'll either be corrected or confirmed by Chelleypie but why would you want to waste your budget on the outside when it is the inside that will score you the points?

The applications look great everybody! Nicely done! Chelleypie hasn't asked for comments / feedback but im happy to give you my opinion if you like!
Test Subject
#63 Old 14th May 2008 at 12:16 AM
Thanks, iampinkstar. If you could PM me comments that would be great, also!
Field Researcher
#64 Old 14th May 2008 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by blueforred
Thanks, iampinkstar. If you could PM me comments that would be great, also!

Yeah, thanks iampinkstar! I would also like the comments too, if you don't mind =]
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 14th May 2008 at 4:21 AM
I would also like comments. I've never done a contest like this before, so I'm just winging it lol.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 14th May 2008 at 4:59 AM
I would definitely appreciate comments. It isn't a big deal if they're public or not.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Instructor
Original Poster
#67 Old 14th May 2008 at 2:10 PM
Well, I was just thinking this morning after I woke up (am I addicted? YES.) that perhaps comments about applications should go up. So I'll PM the other judges and ask them to post a little comment for each of you. Nothing huge, but just post them so you know what to improve.

You're not REQUIRED to do anything to the outside. However, if you have leftover budget and WANT to, you may. But it WILL NOT BE SCORED.

EDIT: Judges have been PMed. I'll try and post something myself tonight, since our third judge was moved to EJ status following a lack of response to her PMs.

Scholar
#68 Old 14th May 2008 at 4:24 PM
Default Round 1 - Adz Burnett
Got to get mine in early as I'm away Friday to Sunday...

At the front of the room there is a home office area, this leads through to the living area...

There is a large seating area with a wall of shelves to the right and Tv and stereo to the left (can be seen on overhead). At the back of the room is a painting area with storage and a dining area with views over the ocean.

Round the corner from the living area is the kitchen with counters along 2 walls and an island.

The bedroom is decorated in greens and pinks, and provides a comfortable space to relax in...

... it also was beautiful views of the garden.

Outside the bathroom is a laundry area.

The bathroom is light and airy with ample storage...

... and the full length windows at the back of the room overlook the beach.

In the kitchen there is a sofa where guests can sit and chat to the cook. The long windowsill, which runs the width of the room, provides an excellent spot for plants.

Overhead

Frontal

Confession

Total Spent on Room:
$57,237

1) What was it like to design within a budget? Easy? Hard? Easy sometimes and hard others?
I found it really easy, the budget was huge and I came in well under. I just have one question, can I keep the rest?
2) Is your original concept 'in tact'? Or did some elements have to go due to budget contstraints?
Well as budget constraints weren't a problem, I was able to keep to my original concept easily.
I love the bathroom, it so simple but elegant.
Hmm, a tricky one but I have to say Janelle Scott, if this is her first time designing for a contest that's pretty amazing.
#69 Old 14th May 2008 at 7:40 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'm in love with this house Romyhorse. That's awsome. I hope one day I will be talented like you!
WOW!
#70 Old 14th May 2008 at 7:56 PM
Here are everyones cooments. If anyone has any questions on what I mean, let me know by pm and I will try to help as much as possible.

WARNING, Huge post!

Mina Carter Application:
Your pictures are very clear and I like your style. The room is filled, which makes it more realistic, but I would watch this because in the second picture, it seems a bit confusing. It is hard to see where a sim might walk and what furniture is. Good Job!
If I was to jugde this entry, I would rate as follows:
Design Quality: 7/10
Directions:10/10
Creativity:9/10

Armana Demetri Application:
The quality was very good in your pictures and were very sharp, which makes it easy on the eye. Your designs were a bit black and white, but I like them. I think the office is my favorite. I would be careful not to make all of your designs look very similar, like in your design and bderoom pictures.
If I was to judge this entry, I would rate as follows:
Design Quality: 6/10
Creativity:7/10

Celeste Moranni Application:
Picture quality is good. Your designs are good, but they seem to be lacking a wow factor in them. Some seem kind of thrown together which in some cases work, but some items seem to clash. This is modt prominate in her bedroom, I think the curtains are what throws me the most. I love the design of the office, this is truely lovely. The atrim is a bit empty, but I am guessing that you did that on purpose, I am just not sure what that purpose is. I also loved that you included pictures that showed every angle of the room, just so we can better see how your designs tie into each other.
If I was to judge this entry, I would rate as follows:
Creativity:8/10

Ginger Davis Application:
Your picture quality is very good. Your style is very crisp amd clean, very pretty. Then is suddenly switches to a funky relaxed and fun style, again I like it because you vary your design, depending on your client.
Design Quality: 9/10

Gerbera SvorskyApplication:
Your rooms seem a bit empty to be realistic, The office shot really dosen't show your design, so I wouldn't use an angle that hides your design again. I do like the colors you used in the living room, though.
Creativity:6/10

Billi Thurston Application:
Your designs are colorful, warm and inviting. I love the nursery, but the height chart jumps out at me and screams, I DON'T FIT WITH THIS DESIGN. Other than that little comment, I have to say your style is flirty and fun!
Creativity:10/10

Carolyn Green Application:
Wow, this application is very beautiful. The quality is wonderful and I can't say anything that needs to be fixed. Everything is very crisp and clen, nothing is blurry and I love how you used the doll houses for models! Everything went above and beyond what waas required.
Design Quality: 10/10

Audrey DeBarbarak Application:
Your designs are very attractive, but they seem to miss a wow factor. There isn't anything that separtes them from the others. The yellows are very cheerful and invting. I love the office the most!

Jaimee Liddell Application:
Your designs seem nice, but the picture quality is what makes it hard to judge. Make sure to set your graphic settings to high before you start taking pictures for round one. I will judge this applicationas well as I can, but in future rounds, the quality of you pictures may seriously effect your score. I hope this helps you.
Creativity:9/10

Beate Broberg Application:
Lovely style, I love the dining room. In future rounds, I wouldn't use angles that obstruct the view of the room, like you did in the bedroom. By doing that, you have prevented me from seeing the true design of your room.

Chloe Chanelle Application:
Your style is very retro and mod. I really love it. As far as the pictures go, I would work on them a bit more. The sky and gridlines shouldn't be hanging around in the pictures. Try looking at the picture taking tutorial for some tips to help you in future rounds.

Adz Burnett Application:
Everything looks wonderful. The only thing I think is worth mentioning is that the wall in your office is a bit bare on the top floor, but it is so beautiful.

Janelle Scott Application:
Just so you know, three of your pictures aren't working. Your application, however, is wonderful. This is an amazing entry, keep up the hard work!
Design Quality: 10/10

Bites and Kisses
Vampire
Field Researcher
#71 Old 14th May 2008 at 10:57 PM
Wow Romy, that is just amazing! I love seeing all of your work. Great job!
#72 Old 15th May 2008 at 12:46 AM
Thank you Vampire for the comments on applications. XD Very helpful to all of us. Romy, wow! I'm blown away. Very nice.
#73 Old 15th May 2008 at 1:36 AM
Mina Carter - Its a great application, I like the clean look of the office and the bedroom, it is nice to see a uniform colourscheme and then the contrast with the designed room is great, it shows great variation and potential!

Armana Demetri - modern, refreshing and classy, that is exactly how i'd sum up your designs! The use of colour is good, all things in moderation, I'd like to see what you can do with a lot of colour but so far it looks clean and minimalist!

Celeste Moranni - I think electic is the word i'd use here, definately a mish mash of styles, colours, textures and that can work really well, you need to be careful though, I think maybe different curtains in your bedroom would have worked better but its a lovely style though!

Ginger Davis - you're right about the angles, they're a little off but mine are normally no better! the colours are a little muted, not sure if thatsa good or bad thing yet, I'll let you know! It looks a little bare but not over poweringly so. Its a good effort I like it.

Gerbera Svorsky - I like the simplicity of your bedroom, its nice, I would have liked to have seen inside the office / studio, been nosey behind the wall but its an interesting photo anyway.

Billi Thurston - Love it, love it love it!! Its strange... I think one photo of your office would have been enough but I wanted close ups of the little nursery, its so adorable!! You have definately shown personal style in your bedroom! I think though maybe a mix of dark and light colours in there would have made a bigger impact, its a very colourful room!

Carolyn Green - I like the attention to detail in the office, it shows great flair and enthusiasm and of course patience! I also like the bedroom, clear lines, crisp, good colour scheme, maybe a little plain but i think that suits her.

Audrey DeBarbarak - I want to be nosey dammit, I would like to see another angle of your bedroom, it shows character! Im not sure about the combination of that wooden floor and the bricks but I like the use of CC and the space and proportions are all good too.

Beate Broberg - dining room for your sister is my favourite room. It wasn't what i was expecting from you! Bold and definately classy and luxurious. A close up of the desk isn't the best way to show off the full design of your office and the bedroom shot seemed more about the cats then the design.

Jaimee Liddell - She's pretty! I like the rooms you've designed, its hard to get a good sense of them though, maybe play around with camera angles, the ones with the tab button look better (at least IMHO - I hate textspeak!). Also your pictures are a little blurry - have a look at the picture tutorials (im not one to talk, mine are always bad)

Chloe Chanelle - I like the office, the sink and coffee pot in the corner remind me of my work office! I suggest to you also that you take a look at the picture tutorials for some advice. I like Nina's bedroom, its maybe not child friendly but im sure she'll like it!! (Can you size up your pictures please - camera options in game. thanks)

Adz Burnett - beach side office - so nice! Your rooms are definately bohemian and that is great! I think her room is so pretty! the living room is my favourite though

Janelle Scott - I love the office, it looks very realistic, especially your use of florescent lighting, how perfect! I like the attention to detail and the sense of depth you've created.
#74 Old 15th May 2008 at 3:58 PM
Thanks for the comments, vampire and iampinkstar!

I appreciate the feedback, and will get to work improving her room asap. Until then, I'm working on round one and lotsa exam revision.
#75 Old 15th May 2008 at 6:58 PM
Default Round one- Cerise Moranni
Speaking of round one, here goes...

After she finished college, my older sister Rachel moved to Brightville with her friend Roe. She's since started going out with Cyd Roseland, and recently sent me an e-mail asking if I could design his new house for them.

With the lounge, I was aiming for a laid-back look. Cyd enjoys entertaining, sports, art and also needed a space to work:

Also the designer photo

The kitchen is retro-modern, with some magazines on the table and plenty of food within fairly easy reach:

The bedroom is masculine, but not overtly so:

As is the bathroom:

Overhead view:

Frontal (ish) view:

Confession Questions

Total Spent on Room: 56,064

It certainly wasn't too hard- in fact, I rather enjoyed it. And there was plenty left over at the end, which is good.

Yes, pretty much. It's still only Cyd living there, so thankfully I didn't have to adapt for my sister (who is rather fickle when it comes to design tastes).

I quite like the cooking area- wouldn't mind having something like it myself, only I live in a flat above my office, so I don't really have that much space.

Probably Adz Burnett- I really like her style, and it's starting to make me nervous.

Page 3 of 8