Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 12:40 AM
Default 1st person view camera mod?
I don't think I've ever seen any in Sims 2, but is it possible for the Sims 3? I was talking about this with my sister when she was wandering around the town with the freecam mode. Some scenes from that particular angle were very pretty and seems more realistic. It reminded us very much of playing Oblivion. (Minus monsters, magic, ect).

... So is something like that possible now with Sims 3?
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 1:35 AM
You can already do the free camera (tab) in Live Mode.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 2:20 AM
Oh I know, but it doesn't stick to the sim. I mean like viewing as if you are viewing from the sim's point of view.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 2:22 AM
There's also a ini file called videocamera.ini in Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini that you can freely edit to make the camera do various things. I've managed to adjust mine so it will go pretty far into the sky and go below ground level. The best part is it can be edited while the game is running so when you make a change you can just look and see what worked and what didn't. Instead of edit value, load game, exit game, edit value, load game, exit game, etc.

There's also a camera script in the gameplaydata.package which most likely controls the settings for the live camera. But I doubt this one can be edited with the game running.
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 7:21 AM
I don't like the camera in The Sims. It's hard to see in a very small room with all wall up. It's like there's a gap between eyes and camera, or there's a camera body that makes difficult to make the camera inside a small room.

It's hard to explain, but you know what my meaning if you try to make your camera view inside a small room, like bathroom for example.
Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 12:11 PM
Quote:
There's also a ini file called videocamera.ini in Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini that you can freely edit to make the camera do various things.

I tried doing this while the game was running but i got an error saying 'the file cannot be created, make sure the path and filename are correct'. Then i closed the game and tried again, but i got the same error.

So i made sure that when i saved the file, the filetype said 'all files' and tried to save it as VideoCamera.ini but i still got the error.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: I tried saving the edited file to my desktop then copying it into the ini folder and that worked. But its still weird that it wouldn't let me save directly to the original file...
Test Subject
#7 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 7:50 PM
Thomas, I've tried to edit the videocamera.ini everyway I can imagine and nothing has any affect. Could you tell me what to adjust to get lower level views and views closer.
Thanks for your help
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 9:11 PM
Just looking at mine compared to the original it looks like I changed MinPosHeight and MaxPosHeight to adjust the height limits on the camera. The original values were 1.0 and 800.0 my new values were 9.9 and 8000.0 which allows me to go pretty far into the sky and a little ways below ground like to the bottom of a swimming pool.
Test Subject
#9 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 10:08 PM
Thank You for your help and your quick reply. Off to edit and see how it works.
Thanks
Instructor
#10 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 11:56 PM
It would be nice to have a first person camera.

First person being defined as from the ingame character's point of view (1st person).
Test Subject
#11 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 3:19 PM
Advice on editing the ini file for first person?
Quote: Originally posted by ThomasRiordan
There's also a ini file called videocamera.ini in Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini that you can freely edit to make the camera do various things. I've managed to adjust mine so it will go pretty far into the sky and go below ground level. The best part is it can be edited while the game is running so when you make a change you can just look and see what worked and what didn't. Instead of edit value, load game, exit game, edit value, load game, exit game, etc.

There's also a camera script in the gameplaydata.package which most likely controls the settings for the live camera. But I doubt this one can be edited with the game running.