Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 3:23 PM
Just wanted to let you know, used your tutorial and it worked to perfection!!! Thanks for all. My kitchen and den are both sunken lol
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 10:04 PM
Actually I found out that using the 'constrainFloorElevation false' code is what was messing me up! I turned it back on and it worked great! Thanks anyway.
Test Subject
#28 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:04 PM
Okay so I can't put the second floor walls directly on top of the windows because it says it has no support so I took some columns and placed them close in order to be able to do this. However, When I do this, it leaves a gap between the first floor windows and the second floor walls. Has anybody else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong, because the pictures of the house in this tutorial do not have this gap.
Test Subject
#29 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fallenindarkness
Okay so I can't put the second floor walls directly on top of the windows because it says it has no support so I took some columns and placed them close in order to be able to do this. However, When I do this, it leaves a gap between the first floor windows and the second floor walls. Has anybody else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong, because the pictures of the house in this tutorial do not have this gap.

I just finished a house in which I used this tutorial. I came across a similar problem to this. It's an easy fix, really. Use the 'constrainfloorelevation false' cheat and lay down a foundation under the section in which you want a floor/wall. That way there is no gap. After you lay down the foundation, make sure to 'constrainfloorelevation true' before you delete the foundation or you may mess something up.

Test Subject
#30 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 10:21 PM
ive had this design...for a home for atleast eight months now that involves a sunken floor for the living room never knew how it was possible tried it on CAD programs but it never looked right...but i thought OH ill use the sims3 and then realised i didnt know how to do it there either XD but i read your tutorial and it made so much sense and was easy to follow thanks
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 7:49 PM
Hi, i used your tutorial and had great success, but i do have a ?. When going to the 2nd floor i was unable to place floor tiles over the area above the sunken room hmmmm, any idea how i might overcome this. thanks
Test Subject
#32 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by newgamer6
Hi, i used your tutorial and had great success, but i do have a ?. When going to the 2nd floor i was unable to place floor tiles over the area above the sunken room hmmmm, any idea how i might overcome this. thanks

Do it before you sink the room, also the second story walls if added before works fine.
Test Subject
#33 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 10:08 PM
thank you so much! very helpful
Test Subject
#34 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 9:19 AM Last edited by MyInnerGodzilla : 7th Jul 2009 at 9:31 AM. Reason: added information
first: nice tut, Beefy! it's already in play.

second: i think i stumbled on an easier way. instead of using the cheat code and laying down foundation (Step 9) just place floating floor tiles along the inside edge of the walls (in place of Step 9) then follow Step 10, making sure to reverse the direction of the window's placement grid (Step 10; inside, Step 11: outside). after doing Step 10 remember to sledgehammer the floating floor tiles. then follow step 11 (see last parenthetical). this might alleviate some of the problems people are having with placing the second story as well. i was able to place a second story just like normal; no cheat codes, no columns, no foundation pieces.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 9:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MyInnerGodzilla
first: nice tut, Beefy! it's already in play.

second: i think i stumbled on an easier way. instead of using the cheat code and laying down foundation (Step 9) just place floating floor tiles along the inside edge of the walls (in place of Step 9) then follow Step 10, making sure to reverse the direction of the window's placement grid (Step 10; inside, Step 11: outside). after doing Step 10 remember to sledgehammer the floating floor tiles. then follow step 11 (see last parenthetical). this might alleviate some of the problems people are having with placing the second story as well. i was able to place a second story just like normal; no cheat codes, no columns, no foundation pieces.

That's actually how I usually do it as sundry times there is no room to place a foundation around the edge of the house.
Test Subject
#36 Old 12th Jul 2009 at 9:01 PM
This is so much easier than the method I was trying to use! Thanks a million!
Test Subject
#37 Old 19th Jul 2009 at 10:18 PM
Default hmm :)
Is this house for downloading?? the one on the top. Its very nicely made =)
Test Subject
#38 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 4:53 AM
Very nice tutorial, but is it me or does the wall covering cover up the windows too when you rotate to where you can see the inside of the room?

edit: Nvm, I just had to take the window off the wall and place it again. Weird...
Test Subject
#39 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 2:52 AM
Beefysim1 your tutorial is great, congratulations!

Sorry for my bad english, I'm brazilian. =)
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 2:49 PM
Great tut....Thank you

"la alegría y la tristeza son inseparables" K.Gibran
Test Subject
#41 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 11:30 AM
Thanks!But I cannot create foundation besides the window.So,I cannot make a complete room!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#42 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 3:35 PM
I have not understood the purpose of creating that temporary strip of foundation outside the house?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#43 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 5:44 PM
Very good tutorial and easy to understand. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I have not understood the purpose of creating that temporary strip of foundation outside the house?

Beefysim1, have you tried using the leveling tool so you won't need the temporary foundation. That's what I always do.

Btw, great tutorial! You have inspired me to make some new houses. I've made 2 so far, just experimenting and getting familiar with the technique. Soon I hope to make something nice. :D
Test Subject
#45 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 12:05 AM Last edited by guyluvnthegirl : 17th Sep 2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: mis quote game notifications.
I love the tutorial. It was the easiest I have seen anywhere. THANKS! Now I am new to building homes and I want to do the same thing as this but with a octagon front faced room but I am having some problems. I keep getting messages like " This space is occupied by floor tile, and Terrain attached to the wall." Any help?
Test Subject
#46 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 6:36 PM
Wow. I wish I had seen this before I built a house with a sunken living room. It would have been so much better using this method. EQ

EuphorialQueen
Forum Resident
#47 Old 12th Oct 2009 at 4:53 AM
Default My Greenhouse
Thank you so much for the tutorial. It is very clear and simple. I thought I'd share what I did with it.
Screenshots

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Forum Resident
#48 Old 12th Oct 2009 at 4:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by festiveplague
Hey, I'm kind of new to building stuff in Sims 3, first off. I tried your tutorial but I had a bit of a problem. When I went to delete the foundation on the outside of the house, that little wall in front of the windows... It wanted to build foundation all the way to the top of the windows. I did the constrainFloorElevation false code, and it didn't seem to help. Any ideas what I did wrong?

I had the same problem. I figured out that you must do constrainFloorElevation true before you delete the foundation on the outside of the house.

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Test Subject
#49 Old 28th Oct 2009 at 8:54 PM
I have a doubt build ye I explain, I am building a home for the Pinfall sims, and what I want is put on the 2nd floor, one bedroom with two heights but not a plant if not half-height, i.e. as when you list in the directly on the Foundation with a low stairs floor but I tested has do so in the second plant and not leave me, not is if there is a trick to do so or something, well this is my question, not is thank if I I explained, if someone has idea and I can help you.
and thank you anyway
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 5:24 PM
This sounds stupid but I don't get it.... Like where do you put the windows, and what is the outer thing of foundation for ???
Page 2 of 3