Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 6:14 PM
Default C-A-W users welcome! Report here any bugs you found using C-A-W Tool. * Feedback Thread *
I have found 2 bugs so far.

1) If you are rotating an item which is placed near the edge of a cliff (i.e. a fence on a road in the mountain), the item will grow up in size and it can become really huge. When you leave/finish with item's rotation, the item will return back to its normal size.

2) The EDIT IN GAME feature does not works. I have selected a newly-added lot and when I click EDIT IN GAME, the game Sims 3 runs and freezes on loading. However the game Sims 3 itself runs fine if you start it from launcher.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 6:45 PM
I had an issue with Edit in Game not working - I fixed it by removing my custom content from Mods\Packages and deleting my cache files.
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 7:29 PM
I found that after a little while, I was unable to use brushes or place roads or objects onto the map. The tools seemed to be working fine but the render itself didn't seem to recognise that I had a tool selected when I clicked back onto the render.

Not sure if this counts as a bug or not, and I'm not sure if I've been all that clear in my description of the problem, but it's very annoying and I'm yet to find any fix for the problem besides restarting the CAW tool.

Another problem I found was the way in which you organise the toolboxes. It was slow, inefficient and took a lot of planning in advance, and it was a tedious process to fix your layout if you accidentally moved or closed a window.

I was pretty surprised to find that the tool isn't overly complex, I was expecting something that would be difficult to pick up. However, it's not the tools themselves that make it a difficult process, it's just the fact they don't seem to work properly, or there's no explanation I can find in the help files that tell me what I'm doing wrong. Argh.
Theorist
#4 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 7:40 PM
I still can't get it to work
I think I need the help of someone who knows programs inside-out, unfortunately. My Techinator brain says "ITS BECAUSE OF 64 BIT VISTAAA" and my normal head goes "Ur doing it Wronggg" so I think I need some help ^_^

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 7:44 PM Last edited by ioscream : 19th Dec 2009 at 2:37 AM.
I'm going to keep editing this post rather than making a new post everytime I come across a problem.

Bug: When the camera moves outside of the neighboorhood's boundaries (editing cliff-sides for example) brushes become unusable and you must rotate over the land and edit at, sometimes, odd angles.

Bug: I don't know if this always happens, but it's happening to me right now. If you have roads selected, not the render window, and push the left arrow key it says that it has crashed.

EDIT: Not happening now. I'll try to replicate.

Bug/Feature Request: Does not remember which active road set was used last. So if you are using a dirty road, then stop to tweak the terrain, when you go back to add more roads you must remember to select the proper road set (textures) you were using.

Bug/Feature Request: This is 2 parts. The first part is when creating lots on uneven terrain the lot sometimes automagically tries to flatten the terrain. A behavior I do NOT want. To overcome this I simple delete the lot and then undo the delete. However, I does not save the name I have given it within the layer box which is something I would like it to do.

Further investigation shows that it creates odd elevations when placing lots on the terrain. Not all the time, but if you look closely you can see the edge of the lot due to a 2 foot (scale) corner that is raised or lowered. Easier to see when editing in the game. Happens on non-boring uneven terrain.
Test Subject
#6 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ioscream
I also was having a problem with brushes. I would have zoom in a little and it would give me the brush. Then I would finish shaping the area, and have to move a little left or right, and the brush would disappear again.. so I'd have to zoom in a little more. Really frustrating.

Yeah, I was having that problem, but it would also disappear permanently fairly often, regardless of zoom.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 8:03 PM
I'm finding it's happening when the camera is actually off of the map.

So let's say I'm editing the coast-line, if I try to do it over the "ocean" I have problems with the brush, however, if I rotate and edit my coastline over the land, no problems.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 9:14 PM
I'm finding it's happening when the camera is actually off of the map.

So let's say I'm editing the coast-line, if I try to do it over the "ocean" I have problems with the brush, however, if I rotate and edit my coastline over the land, no problems.

Yes, the same happens here.

The Brush only disappears if your camera is out of the neighborhood borders. Rotate the camera to be within the neighborhood and this bug will get fixed.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentResident

The Brush only disappears if your camera is out of the neighborhood borders. Rotate the camera to be within the neighborhood and this bug will get fixed.

Yep yep. I've been in the tool for about an hour or so now. After a very small learning curve in-terms actual terrian shaping; realistic land is quite easy to come by.

This is where I'm currently at:
Test Subject
#10 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 10:25 PM
I cannot get the game to "edit in game" either. I completely uninstalled everything (deleted the Sims folders after uninstall), reinstalled S3 and WA, patched and downloaded my store purchases only, upadted my graphics driver and I hang on the WA splash screen indefinitely (well going on 3 hours now).

I've tried deleting all cache files to no avail. I really want to use this app but it seems that my problem is not widespread, so I'll probably not see a fix for quite some time.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Absimiliard
I cannot get the game to "edit in game" either. I completely uninstalled everything (deleted the Sims folders after uninstall), reinstalled S3 and WA, patched and downloaded my store purchases only, upadted my graphics driver and I hang on the WA splash screen indefinitely (well going on 3 hours now).

I've tried deleting all cache files to no avail. I really want to use this app but it seems that my problem is not widespread, so I'll probably not see a fix for quite some time.

Something I've read, though I'm still editing in CAW, is to remove ALL of your CC before trying to edit in game. It's supposed to speed it up, and help with potential problems. Actually, I believe that it's stickied in this forum.
Test Subject
#12 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 11:03 PM
Something I've read, though I'm still editing in CAW, is to remove ALL of your CC before trying to edit in game. It's supposed to speed it up, and help with potential problems. Actually, I believe that it's stickied in this forum.

Thanks for this. The sticky (that I can find) actually indicates to remove the mods directory, not CC. But I did uninstall all CC and the thing loaded lickety-split with no problems (well except that I cannot use CC when developing my world - which actually is a problem).

At least I can get going now. Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Absimiliard
Thanks for this. The sticky (that I can find) actually indicates to remove the mods directory, not CC. But I did uninstall all CC and the thing loaded lickety-split with no problems (well except that I cannot use CC when developing my world - which actually is a problem).

At least I can get going now. Thanks again.

Give it time.. I'm sure they will work on that. This tool is still in beta. Maybe try adding only what you plan on using (3 or 4 objects at a time). See if that works.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 11:16 PM Last edited by ioscream : 18th Dec 2009 at 12:05 AM.
Contents of this post were moved to an earlier post.
Eminence Grise
#15 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy
My Techinator brain says "ITS BECAUSE OF 64 BIT VISTAAA" and my normal head goes "Ur doing it Wronggg" so I think I need some help ^_^

I'm using it fine with 64 bit Vista, so that (by itself) is not the problem.
Test Subject
#16 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 12:01 AM
I made a new thread but am thinking ill have more luck here.. So I made a new world and everything, even loaded it into the game. I played it and after adding all my work and community lots i saved and quit. Now when I go to load it it says I cant, something like it may have expansion pack data that is no longer present.. I have World Adventures installed and my game is fully patched. Any ideas?
Theorist
#17 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I'm using it fine with 64 bit Vista, so that (by itself) is not the problem.

Urgh, It still doesn't work; why does it hate me?! xD

Right, I'll start a thread then

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 1:04 PM
I've noticed while placing game objects like trees, I won't even click anywhere to place them and they will still be on the map. I have to go back and delete them.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whoachica5
I've noticed while placing game objects like trees, I won't even click anywhere to place them and they will still be on the map. I have to go back and delete them.

You need to hit ESC when you are done placing, otherwise you may find some in the ocean... at least I did..
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 2:14 AM
The tool will no longer let me save when a lot has been placed. Pre-lot placement, it saves just fine, but as soon as a lot (either community or residence) has been placed, the tool crashes with the typical vista "CAW.exa has stopped working" error message.

This seems to be a very common problem...

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/144221.page
Forum Resident
#21 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentResident

I couldn't get the brush back no matter what I did. I finally just reinstalled.
I also hate that you can't save the road textures. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Eminence Grise
#22 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 4:27 AM
"This lot has a special building on it. For sims to treat this lot like the specified lot type, the special building must be removed."

I got that when I zoned a lot with no buildings but a mausoleum on it... as a graveyard.

So far, in fact, I get this message whenever I set the lot zoning of any lot with a rabbithole on it... regardless of what I set the zoning to.

Are other people getting this?
Forum Resident
#23 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 7:37 PM
Default It's not Vista
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy
I still can't get it to work
I think I need the help of someone who knows programs inside-out, unfortunately. My Techinator brain says "ITS BECAUSE OF 64 BIT VISTAAA" and my normal head goes "Ur doing it Wronggg" so I think I need some help ^_^

Is it not working at all? Or is it just one thing. Some people are having problems because their computers are just not up to it. WA is a huge resource hog.

I am running Vista on my laptop. But I had it built specifically to run The Sims 3
You might try moving all your custom content out of your game when you want to "Edit in Game". The less stuff the game has to load the better it will work.

I hope this helps. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Test Subject
#24 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 8:26 PM
Can anybody find a thumbnail for the worlds that's the only thing I need! (Other then that I find this a very good program no problems, except i noticed that my first world Simchester was underwater when I was practically done...)
Eminence Grise
#25 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 11:57 PM
KV Holland3, your question was answered Please don't post the same question in every thread.
Page 1 of 3