Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#26 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:40 AM
That makes sense. I'm not sure which O/S fruitsymphony was using, but it was probably 32-bit, which is why the extra folder in the registry wasn't an issue.

Sorry, I was updating my previous post while you were posting. I just want to make sure that you're still able to play your normal game while I'm working on the fix.

I'm also going to be signing off for the night. I'll try to get you the new files tomorrow.

But first, I'll need to know which EPs and SPs you chose for the AnyGame. Is this the list: Sims2EP1.exe, Sims2EP2.exe, Sims2EP3.exe, Sims2SP1.exe, Sims2SP2.exe, Sims2EP4.exe, Sims2EP5.exe, Sims2SP4.exe, Sims2SP5.exe, Sims2EP6.exe, Sims2SP6.exe, Sims2SC.exe, Sims2EP7.exe, Sims2SP7.exe, Sims2SP8.exe, Sims2EP8.exe, Sims2EP9.exe? That looks like you chose everything.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
That makes sense. I'm not sure which O/S fruitsymphony was using, but it was probably 32-bit, which is why the extra folder in the registry wasn't an issue.

Sorry, I was updating my previous post while you were posting. I just want to make sure that you're still able to play your normal game while I'm working on the fix.

I'm also going to be signing off for the night. I'll try to get you the new files tomorrow.

But first, I'll need to know which EPs and SPs you chose for the AnyGame. Is this the list: Sims2EP1.exe, Sims2EP2.exe, Sims2EP3.exe, Sims2SP1.exe, Sims2SP2.exe, Sims2EP4.exe, Sims2EP5.exe, Sims2SP4.exe, Sims2SP5.exe, Sims2EP6.exe, Sims2SP6.exe, Sims2SC.exe, Sims2EP7.exe, Sims2SP7.exe, Sims2SP8.exe, Sims2EP8.exe, Sims2EP9.exe? That looks like you chose everything.

Yeah, I did, which, now that I think about it, seems to defeat the purpose. However, my original .exe works fine, but thats probably because my anygame is an everygame *end bad pun*

If you want, I can make another with only the SPs to see what removing an EP does, and another with only the EPs, but I'm also signing off, so I won't be able to test until I get back up (which, over the summer, can range from 8:00 AM to noon )
Site Helper
#28 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 6:05 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 2:37 PM.
No. This one should be fine. Once we verify that my changes work, it will make sense for people to start testing the new procedure for a variety of games. For now, I'd be happy if we could just get this one working.

I actually have multiple AnyGames which include all of my EPs and SPs. It's a great way to keep different sets of CC for different neighborhoods. I also have an AnyGame just for helping people with problems. This allows me to test other people's neighborhoods without having to worry about conflicts with my own games.

[Update:]

I have made the fixes that I believe that you need. Rename your existing AppFiles folder to AppFilesOriginal and extract this new version of the AppFiles folder into Documents\AnyGameStarter.

Try running both your AnyGame and your full game. Let us know what happens.

If anything goes wrong, double click on your EA Games.reg file to reset your registry and you should be fine (plus, you still have that system restore point, right?).

Thanks so much for your help with this issue. It would be so nice if there were a simple fix that people could make to resolve this problem.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFilesFixed.zip (493.8 KB, 27 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#29 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 3:15 PM Last edited by fruitsymphony : 8th Jun 2012 at 3:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Playerfan
Was fruitsymphony running Win7?

I have win xp on my computer. The installation program said something about §§User§§ or %%User%% and it could not determine the path.

Public Documents is maybe Delade Dokument in Swedish, I have a folder which is called Delade Dokument.

There is an EA Games folder in it, with a sims 2 folder, that is empty. Like you said.
Also there is one in My Documents, C:\Documents and Settings\Dell\Mina dokument\EA Games.
Which is not empty.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Test Subject
#30 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 4:19 PM Last edited by Sims2Playerfan : 8th Jun 2012 at 4:35 PM.
Ok, well the first thing I noticed is that 7-Zip extracted all the files directly into the Anygamestarter folder without making an appfiles or Icon subfolder, so I had to sort all those out manually. When trying to run the normal game, my installer showed all the EPs and SPs from the collection packs as greyed out and asked me to use my AL disk to run instead of the usual Fun With Pets (I will update this as I go, but I'm just posting this real quick [while I dig for my AL disk]

Edit 1: The game loaded with the AL splash screen instead of the M&G, and my megahood, the only neighborhood I had, was missing from the menu. The CC warning dialouge popped up, so all of my CC is intact. The taskbar icon also shows the AL icon instead of the store edition.

Edit 2: I created a blank Strangetown template, and the neighborhood buttons are greyed out for Uni, OFB, and Pets, and the stuff pack items seem to be missing. The OFB and Pets premades are not in the family or occupied lot bin, though the other EPs' are. Remember this is on my full game, not the anygame.

In short, it seems to have "uninstalled" the collection packs from my main game.
Site Helper
#31 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 4:51 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 5:11 PM.
That's disappointing. Can you just confirm for me that you have a file in your AppFiles folder named Sims2_Full.bkp and that it has a later date than the file named Sims2_Full.reg?

Did you try to run the AnyGame first, then the full game? Or, did you just go directly to your full game? How did you run your full game? Did you use the method that was working yesterday, or did you use a new shortcut?

Let me work on this further then. In the interim, run your EA Games.reg file, which should "reinstall" your games. If that doesn't work, restore from your system restore point.

You should be able to continue to play your full game, but don't touch the AnyGame again until I ask.
Test Subject
#32 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:22 PM
Yeah, I have a Sims2_Full.bkp file that has a later date than the original. I ran the original game from the same shortcut I usually use, but I think I may have clicked the anygame icon first. However, I know that the anygame did not start before I played the game, though I am not sure why. It may have been that I had forgotten to click run as administrator before I ran it the first time or it may have been a result of 7-Zip not saving the subfolders of what it extracted, and I may have moved a file to the wrong spot, but I compared the old appfiles to the one I rearranged and the only difference was the backup file.
Site Helper
#33 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:43 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 6:15 PM.
Do you have any idea how much time elapsed between clicking on the AnyGame icon and running your full game? It's possible that a conflict occurred; the AnyGame needs some time (about 2 minutes) to do all of it's work. In addition, the game may need additional time to generate your AnyGame save game, depending upon the AGS options that you chose. If you tried running the full game while the AnyGame was still adjusting things, it would explain the behavior that you saw.

I'm going to ask you to try the test again, with a new AppFiles folder. Should be ready in a few minutes. In the interim, get your full game working properly by double clicking on the EA Games.REG file. It's important that we always start test runs from a clean state. Go ahead and run your full game and make sure that everything's OK. You may need to restore your neighborhoods from your backup.

fruitsymphony, how is your computer? Have you solved your problem yet?

OK, I've attached a new AppFiles folder. Delete your existing one and try this one, please.

If the EA Games.REG file doesn't solve your problems, restore from your System Restore point. We really want to make sure that you can run the full game correctly before we try running the AnyGame again.

1) Once your computer is back to it's working state, run the AnyGame. Give it at least 5 minutes more than it would normally take to start, just to make sure. Then, zip and attach your new AppFiles folder. Of course, let us know whether the AnyGame actually worked.

2) Try running the full game. If it doesn't work properly, double click on the EA Games.REG file again to get back to a clean state, or restore from your System Restore Point. Don't touch the AnyGame again until I say.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles2Fix.zip (493.6 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#34 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 6:35 PM Last edited by Sims2Playerfan : 8th Jun 2012 at 6:57 PM.
Ok, I loaded the program and waited for about 8 minutes, and nothing started, though I did get a notification when I first ran the program about it being an unsigned program. I checked the Processes and Services tabs on the task manager to see if it was still running but I didn't see anything relating to hidcon.exe or anything else from the AGS. Here is the AppFiles folder so you can see if it did anything.

Edit: forgot to respond to step 2. From a cursory analysis, it seems the full game still works even without touching the registry file. All the icons are lit up on the launcher, and I'm currently waiting for the game to start.

Follow up: The game loaded, complete with the custom splash screen music I had, and seems to work. However, I got a notification about CC in my game, which I had previously turned off, though it seems it did not alter any of my other settings. Also, the game hung for about three minutes after it had finished "loading" at the Loading Neighborhood screen, but after a few minutes it began responding again. All EPs and SPs appear present.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles (2).zip (489.9 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Site Helper
#35 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 6:52 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 7:09 PM.
I'm glad that the full game is still working. That's certainly an important step.

The log doesn't contain too much of interest. The AGS believes that everything is OK and tried to start the game, which quit immediately. Then, the AGS cleaned up correctly. The mystery is why the game stopped immediately:
Fri 06/08/2012 13:29:37.64 - Starting TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe
Fri 06/08/2012 13:29:37.64 - Game ended

Let me do some more pondering.

In the interim, can you tell me what's in the Documents\AnyGameStarter\AnyGame3 folder, especially under the EA Games\The Sims 2 subfolder?
Test Subject
#36 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 7:22 PM
There is nothing directly under it but EA GAMES, which leads to a single folder called The Sims 2, which only has five folders; Cameras, Collections, Config, Downloads, and SC4 Terrains, and a .id file called AnyGame3. The Cameras folder appears to be complete, All my collections (even the custom ones) are under collections, config is also intact, downloads has nothing but the CEP and Scriptorium shortcuts, and SC4 Terrains has all the neighborhood templates.

In short, those five folders seem complete, as expected, but there is nothing else.

Edit: I had a look at that log file. One thing that interests me is that @ Fri 06/08/2012 13:29:37.67 it says it begins its sixty second countdown, and yet the countdown ends in the same minute. I don't know much about the program, but could that be important?
Site Helper
#37 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 7:39 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 9:22 PM.
No. The countdown is usually plenty of time for the game to access the registry and get the appropriate file paths. Besides, the game is obviously ending before the countdown ends, which means that the registry should contain the correct information. The AGS relies on the wait time for the ping command to do the countdown. I'm not sure why it would be unreliable, but I've seen very few cases where the countdown wasn't adequate.

If you are really concerned, we can double or even triple the countdown time; IIRC it's a simple change.

The disadvantage of extending the countdown is that your Documents folder is unavailable to newly-run programs during the countdown. I'm pretty sure that's why Numenor decided to keep it fairly short. I've actually run other programs just after starting an AnyGame, only to find that they were looking in the wrong location. A slight annoyance, but something to keep in mind.
Test Subject
#38 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 7:53 PM
Right, but what I noticed was the countdown which should last 60 seconds began at Fri 06/08/2012 13:29:37.67 and ended at Fri 06/08/2012 13:29:37.67(the same number), which I was assuming are increments of time (such as on a 24-hour clock, 13:29:37 would mean 1:29:37 which means 37 seconds past 1:29 PM) If it was supposed to last sixty seconds shouldn't every stage have added ten seconds to the clock (As in 13:29: 47, 13:29:57, 13:30:17, etc) and shouldn't it have ended on 13:30:37?
Site Helper
#39 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 8:02 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: More observations.
Default Technie Notes
Just a quick note to explain what we've learned so far:

1) One primary problem with the AGS is that it is removing the collection EPs and SPs from the EPsInstalled string in full game registry, effectively "uninstalling" them forever. This problem can be completely eliminated by getting the list from the registry before you install the AGS. After installing the AGS, just restore that string in the registry and your full game will continue to work perfectly.

That registry string should also be replaced in the full game registry file: Sims2_Full.reg. This will allow each of your AnyGames to properly restore the registry once they're done.

It's not clear to me why the AGS is bothering to change that string in the first place. I would have assumed that the string could just be copied as it is. My guess is that Numenor was attempting to resolve the problem where people would install new EPs and SPs after creating their AnyGames, only to find that running the AnyGame would "uninstall" their new EPs. By adding logic which would search for all of your installed EPs and SPs, he hoped to resolve that problem. Unfortunately, if the AGS doesn't know about a pack, like the collection packs, then it can't find them to add them to the string. Which just proves that fixes for problems can have their own problems.

2) The AGS doesn't properly recognize the Wow6432Node node on 64-bit systems. This node may need to be added to each registry key in each Sims2_AnyGame<#>.reg file and the Sims2_Full.reg file.

3) The AGS doesn't seem to change the DisplayName string. In fact, the EA logic for DisplayName seems a bit contorted anyway. Why have a folder named "The Sims 2", another named "The Sims™ 2 Deluxe", and another named "The Sims 2 Store Edition"?

Area for unrelated research: I wonder whether those folders could all be merged into "The Sims 2" by changing all DisplayName strings in your registry to "The Sims 2"? Imagine all the confusion that would remove!

4) If the latest EP in your AnyGame comes from a collection pack, the AGS has only a partial path to the EXE in the Start_AnyGame<#>.bat file. This needs to be updated to the full path.

5) If you have the updated Store Edition in your AnyGame, the AGS places the EP in the wrong location in the EPsInstalled string. It also assumes that the Store Edition is one of the earlier EPs, rather than the latest EP. It's likely that the game needs to be run from the Store Edition.
Site Helper
#40 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 8:14 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 9:28 PM.
Right, but what I noticed was the countdown which should last 60 seconds began at Fri 06/08/2012 13:29:37.67 and ended at Fri 06/08/2012 13:29:37.67(the same number), which I was assuming are increments of time (such as on a 24-hour clock, 13:29:37 would mean 1:29:37 which means 37 seconds past 1:29 PM) If it was supposed to last sixty seconds shouldn't every stage have added ten seconds to the clock (As in 13:29: 47, 13:29:57, 13:30:17, etc) and shouldn't it have ended on 13:30:37?
Yes, I understand. It seems odd that they are not at least 10 seconds apart. For example, here's my last countdown on one of my AnyGames:

This is more typical, because the game rarely ends before the countdown does. When the countdown ends, the AGS restores the registry so that it will be in its AGS state for a minimal amount of time. The game only needs the AGS registry when it is first starting up; one of the first things that the game does is to get the relevant data from the registry (it needs that data before it can even begin to load the EPs, SPs, and save game).

I still believe that the countdown was sufficient because the game ended before the countdown ended. I'm not sure why the countdown is so odd on your computer.

Still, there's no harm in eliminating this as the possible problem. There are two options. We can try increasing the countdown, or using another program for the countdown. I have no problems with trying a longer countdown, but you should avoid starting any new programs between when you start the AnyGame and when the countdown ends.

More technie stuff...

I notice that ping has the following options:
The AGS is using the following command 7 times:
PING 1.1.1.1 -n 4 -w 1000
which means that each one of the 4 replies should timeout after 1 second. 7 X 4 X 1 = 28 seconds, not the 60 seconds that are mentioned in the comments.

I know that setting a URL in one's hosts file to 0.0.0.0 returns an instant fail, rather than a timeout. Perhaps something in Windows 7 is smart enough to determine that 1.1.1.1 should fail before the timeout?
Test Subject
#41 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 9:31 PM
Well, one theory I had was that it was recieving the reply to the ping before the timeout (which would be likely because I have an insanely fast processor) and it was proceeding on to the next check in a fraction of a millisecond (and in another log, it showed this
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.80 - RestoreDocs64: Starting the 60 (30) seconds countdown
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.80 - RestoreDocs64: 60...
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.80 - RestoreDocs64: 50...
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.82 - RestoreDocs64: 40...
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.82 - RestoreDocs64: 30...
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.82 - RestoreDocs64: 20...
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.82 - RestoreDocs64: 10...
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.82 - RestoreDocs64: 0...
Fri 06/08/2012 16:18:15.82 - RestoreDocs64: Countdown ended.
which would show that it was still preforming the required process, but preforming it faster than expected.) However, if you say it isn't supposed to get a response to the ping, and was supposed to wait and time out, then that would negate my theory.

But yeah, I would agree it really isn't an issue relevant to this problem, but it is worth noting.
Site Helper
#42 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 9:40 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 8th Jun 2012 at 9:51 PM.
The ping is just a wait mechanism; nothing more.

Something is making your game quit as soon as it starts, before it has a chance to generate the other save game files and folders, and before the countdown ends. The question is: what would make the game stop running, without even displaying an error? You don't even seem to be getting the splash screen.

Found it! Your save game path is incomplete:
SET GAMEEXEC=TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe

Is EP9 from one of the collections? Can you give me your full path to your Sims2EP9.EXE?
Test Subject
#43 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 9:48 PM
One other thing: Is the AGS programmed to automatically use certain aspects like the CEP and Scriptorium from the main install or does it regenerate the files as if it were a brand new game?

Its possible I could have some override in my installation files that is corrupting it... I'll look at those first.
Site Helper
#44 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 9:52 PM
No, I'm sure that it's the path to Sims2EP9.EXE. If I can get the full path, I'll fix the AppFiles folder and get you a new one.
Test Subject
#45 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 10:00 PM
Well anyways, the .exe is located on my computer at C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Fun with Pets Collection\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe

I don't know why EA couldn't have named the executable and the file its located in consistently... at least name the file EP9 if you are going to name the executable EP9!
Site Helper
#46 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 10:06 PM
OK, it's the same routine.

Delete your existing AppFiles folder. Extract this new one. Make sure that your full game is working correctly. Run the AnyGame. If it fails, zip and attach the AppFiles folder. Then, make sure that your full game is still working.

We're close. I can feel it.

I don't know why EA couldn't have named the executable and the file its located in consistently... at least name the file EP9 if you are going to name the executable EP9!
These collection packs just seem to be a mess. They cause any number of problems.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles4Fix.zip (495.4 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#47 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 10:12 PM
IT'S ALIVE!

After a cursory examination: It plays the nhood 3 music from Sims 1 which I had set on my full game's splash screen, but instead of showing the M&G splash decal, it shows the original The Sims 2 Logo. It shows the M&G logo when minimized, and has all the neighborhoods in their unopened state. I will update in a minute or two with more results.

Follow up: Ok, it's alive, but twitching. As expected, it reset all my settings to default. While I can confirm the existance of Pets, AL, H&M, M&G, Seasons, Freetime, BV, and NL, it crashed when I tried to enter CAS to test the other stuff packs. Also, the button to send sims to Uni was not there, nor was the usual toolbar at the top to change seasons, add sub-hoods, and instead was a sole button to return to neighborhood select, which was also missing the add subhoods buttons. But hey, it starts, and thats a significant improvement.
Site Helper
#48 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 10:22 PM
The one difference between your AnyGame and your full game is that the Store Edition is listed in a different location in the EPsInstalled string. So, it would be interesting to know whether you still have the Store Edition features in your AnyGame.

If you'd like, I can change the AnyGame EPsInstalled string to match the full game. That might make a difference. It would also be nice to know whether you run your full game from Sims2EP9.exe or Sims2SC.exe.
Test Subject
#49 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 10:25 PM
Nope, it doesn't look like store edition works, which is probably what is causing the crash in CAS. Also, if I may suggest another groundless theory, it looks like it may be an unupdated UI file issue, which would explain the base game splash screen, because I get a message from AL telling me I have neighborhoods with unassociated subhoods.

To above: It looks like the shortcut on Desktop points to the file under EP99 (which is Store Edition) The path to it is
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Fun with Pets Collection\EP99\TSBin\Sims2Launcher.exe"(Directly from the shortcut Properties)
Site Helper
#50 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 10:31 PM
It's worth a try, I think. Let me make that change and we'll try again.

Here's the newest version, which runs from the Store Edition rather than Mansion and Garden. I have it set to start from Sims2SC.exe, rather than the launcher.

When you are running with the newly generated shipped neighborhoods, I would expect to get the message about missing subhoods.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles5Fix.zip (495.8 KB, 28 downloads) - View custom content
Page 2 of 3