Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#51 Old 31st May 2012 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Generis
I think someone made a mod to import the banana plant from sims castaway to sims 2.

J. M. Pescado over at MATY did such a thing. I'm assuming this is what you're referring to.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
J. M. Pescado over at MATY did such a thing. I'm assuming this is what you're referring to.

Most probably. S3 is the first time that I ever used cc and mods, since back then a vanilla sims 2 completely satisfied me, so I have little knowledge of the cc and modding community of sims 2.

I just edited a lot in S3 and realized that S3 has a decorative banana plant from WA... was wondering before why the earlier posts said that EA made a banana plant mesh for sims 3... My mistake, just made quick glances at the posts instead of reading through them all.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 6:48 PM
THIS! I HATE this EA excuse for a banana tree.
Yes it is The Sims, yes it is make-believe, yes it's just a game BUT STILL! There are certain quirky things that are looked upon as a bit of fun and believe me, I LIKE the quirkyness of The Sims games. I like that it is not 100% realistic but THIS.
I just think it looks stupid and I cannot bring myself to allow my Sims to grow bananas because of the apple tree they grow on.
I even started trying to see if I could create a default replacement mesh for the tree but I don't understand the files well enough and couldn't find any of the fruit trees with S3OC so I hit a wall and gave up.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Scholar
#54 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 7:12 PM
The most annoying thing about it is if you look at about 60% of the content including animations from Sims 3, it is imported from Sims 2, Sims 1, or the Sims Stories series. They had the tree from Castaway- they used it in WA, how difficult would it have been to recode the animations to work with Sims 3 and do it right.

I don't want things 100% realistic, I like the cartoony look of the Sims games and even like playing the pre-made families but at least aim for consistency with previous iterations of the game. If you have actual banana trees in previous games- use the meshes and animations in this one. After all you have imported some of the Gods awful ugly furniture from Sims 1 and 2 (Lips Loveseat anyone) into Sims 3, why not this since gardening is a pretty big part of the game
Scholar
#55 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 6:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
In Sims 1, it was easier to think of sims as being 'not human' because the player was always watching from a distance; outside the fourth wall so to speak. But with Sims 2 and 3, you are able to immerse yourself totally in the world, and it's easy to forget that these are sims, not humans (especially with the realistic CC that is available).

I still play sims 1 though, so think of my sims as being a different species in a totally different universe to this. Therefore I love it when things are strange or quirky (like potato bushes and spin-to-change clothes) and get annoyed when things are too human, so you won't find any photorealistic skins in my game. My sims are censor blurred, and I'm happy that way!

I could not have said this better myself. Although, I hate the blur, so my sims aren't censored.
Test Subject
#56 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 8:30 AM
As said previously: C'mon, we have bushes to grow burger patties. And a cheese bush, and an egg bush, and a turkey bush, and a money tree. And another plant that gives a life saver flower. Sure, EA does have palm trees, and thus, they can use it to be banana trees. But back in WA, we had the cherry tree, with their beautiful pink look. But no, actual cherries had to grow on "apple trees". This is how EA does things. They had only "followed the line".

Also, in terms of graphics, lets count the fact that we can harvest lots of fruit and vegetables, using always the same bush, the same tree, and the same... How is it called the tomato plant? I mean, those three plants grow everything. What makes the banana so special?

Just thinking...
Field Researcher
#57 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 11:21 AM
But cherry trees are fine and perfectly realistic. Cherry trees are only pink while they are flowering, not when the tree bears fruit. So you wouldn't have a pink cherry tree with cherries. Cherry trees in real life look fairly alike to apple trees in that sense. The only thing they could have done to cherry tree is to put lots of white/pink flowers on the "mature"state, but it really doesn't bother me that much. The tree is correct shape, unlike banana tree.

Again, even banana tree doesn't really bother ME, since I also think of sims as their own culture and world. But I understand that others are annoyed, if they want to pretend realism. And tomatoes grow in a vine
Mad Poster
#58 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 11:37 AM
Yes but all of the burger patty and other such plants you mentioned don't exist in the real world so EA can take as much artistic licence with them as they wish.
The cherry trees around where I live that give fruit do not look like the WA cherry blossom trees and are actually more like the generic harvestable tree.
The banana tree has a well known real world counterparts and so the one EA provided us with just looks wrong.
Of course, this is my personal opinion on the matter and you do not have to agree with it in any shape or form. I am mearly voicing my thoughts.

Field Researcher
#59 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 11:11 AM
Oh I do agree. I think plenty of people would have been happy if they would have pretty much re-made the banana tree from Sims2 Castaway Stories (which I'm still kicking myself for not getting, can't find it anywhere). it has the bananas even in correct bunches. Also, thanks for reminding me. one of my families just completed the Omni-challenge, I should plant a WA-book-tree.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 11:30 AM
Technically bananas grow in hands, not bunches but now I really AM getting nit-picky and I should stop.

Lab Assistant
#61 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 8:18 AM
I know this feels like a necro post, but I am seriously asking if any modder has fixed this yet. There are so many awesome modders out there, surely one did what EA refused to do and changed the banana tree to something that actually looks the part?

Please tell me someone did...
Field Researcher
#62 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 12:50 PM
They could of made a new proper banana tree but...nope! Too hard!
Alchemist
#63 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 12:59 PM
Normally I would disapprove of necroposting, but this thread has always been one of my favorites.

But yeah, I wish someone would've made a default replacement for this! Douglasveiga made it possible to create a corn stalk, so perhaps a banana tree can be made possible too? There's already a banana tree mesh from WA.

Just call me Nikel
Field Researcher
#64 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 2:19 PM
I hate the "bamboo tree" thing. It's a grass, dagnabit!!
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
Didn't they?

Let's not forget in the tree collection you have the regular cherry tree and the large cherry tree and neither are even slightly related to the "harvestable" cherry tree.

The same goes for the plum trees
Field Researcher
#66 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 7:45 PM
I would also like to mention that real tomato plants look nothing like the one EA gave us. Not even close.

And if they can screw up the common tomato, I'm not surprised they screwed up with everything else.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 9:15 PM
I'm still scratching my head over the "corn" plant. They have a perfectly good corn plant decor, but the corn plant is indistinguishable from about half the plants in the game, including the Deathflower.
Spice Pony
#68 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:09 PM
Yeah, honestly, the banana trees come across less as fantastical sims surreal silliness and more as lazy programming.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ewenk7
Yeah, honestly, the banana trees come across less as fantastical sims surreal silliness and more as lazy programming.

Indeed, well-said.

I've no doubt in my mind that EA just didn't want to have to do any more work than was absolutely necessary to put out the EP. After all, why do you think they always have so many problems to fix with the patches?
Mad Poster
#70 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 4:45 AM
The only way I can think of fixing this is by embedding the 'banana tree' inside one of the actual banana trees.
Spice Pony
#71 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
The only way I can think of fixing this is by embedding the 'banana tree' inside one of the actual banana trees.

If you mean in-game via moveobjects, I think that'd just result in a routing failure.
Instructor
#72 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 7:52 PM
Or use the mesh of a banana tree with a "banana tree" plant. Similar to the functional hen.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lerf1950
I'm still scratching my head over the "corn" plant. They have a perfectly good corn plant decor, but the corn plant is indistinguishable from about half the plants in the game, including the Deathflower.

They explained that was a limitation of the game code. Apparently any harvestable provided in the Store can only use one of the three base game harvestable plant meshes.
The code in question though is supposedly just a "true/false" toggle which is set to "false".

Spice Pony
#74 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
They explained that was a limitation of the game code. Apparently any harvestable provided in the Store can only use one of the three base game harvestable plant meshes.
The code in question though is supposedly just a "true/false" toggle which is set to "false".

Why is that, though? They can sell other original meshes in the store.
Alchemist
#75 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44

But how come douglasveiga managed to make it possible then? Store plants are custom plants, and they're as custom as custom-made plants. If douglasveiga included the mesh in the package, couldn't EA have done the same way? EA always makes excuses for their badly done works.

Just call me Nikel
Page 3 of 4