Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 5:04 AM
Default Thinking about getting Showtime...
I seriously want some of the objects and actions that come with Showtime -- the karaoke, golf, dominoes, coffeebars, etc. -- but do not want anything to do with the acrobats or magicians. Nor do I want to get spammed with simfests or other unwanted interruptions to my game. So .... is there a way to shut those off like we can with the creature features? I'm not using the Master Controller, but would consider adding it if it enables me to avoid the unwanted NPCs and festivals. And can we shut off the simport / social thing the way we can memories?

Appreciate any info to help in making my decision.
Advertisement
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#2 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 7:04 AM
Acrobats and such are jobs, so if you want nothing to do with them, simply do not take those jobs. You will see other people in your town become acrobats and such, though. If you don't want simfests popping up, simply removing any lot marked as a "Venue" will help with that (or ignore it entirely, it's just like the GrillAThons and whatnot that pop up on Map View) . As for Simport, you can always choose NOT to do it. It's just a rolled wish. There is a mod somewhere that stops those wants from rolling but I forget exactly where (Perhaps Simlogical, or Simasylum) The only real reason to Simport at all is to unlock rewards, but with This Mod you can unlock them all without lifting a finger.

That said, I like the acrobat job. Even if you never perform at all, you still get a weekly stipend, and I like to pretend my Sims are doing Yoga or something.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 1:06 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I knew the acrobat and magician were jobs, but somehow got the impression new NPCs were, too. I was thinking in TS2-mode! Forgot about the townspeople. I wouldn't mind that so much. I just didn't want the festivals there all the time like I had with the festivals until I moved it out of the way.

Still kind of on the fence. It seems as if people didn't like this EP much....

What did you think about the new town it added?
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#4 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 8:02 PM
Well, I never play in EA towns, I always use custom ones. The townies are butt ugly in this pack.

It does have a lot of nice items though, and some interesting clothing. I think a lot of hate for the pack comes from the whole Katy Perry thing, and the whole Simport thing.
Alchemist
#5 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 6:20 PM
I also want Showtime .. for SH.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 4:15 AM
Personally I like the Singer career...starting at levels 5 and 6 the songs REALLY sound good, more percussion in the background and the like.

Only thing is, if you have a performer that's performing at a venue, you have to keep an eye on the family members at home or around town. Unless your performer lives alone, of course.

One thing that kinda irks me...I'll have a performer's spouse watching the show or SimFest and it manages to make their relationship drop a bit, even though I have the spouse watching do positive reactions. On the other hand, if your performer is performing for tips, they build relationships with Sims that are watching them.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Oct 2013 at 5:57 PM
I have all EPs but there are a lot of things I ignore or don't use, e.g, I have Pets but I don't bother having pets in my active family - yet I don't mind seeing animals around as I think it adds more interest to the world I'm playing. The showtime jobs? I like having more choice in things for my Sims to do . Starlight Shores? I liked it but It wasn't EA's best world. This EP wasn't as good as some of the others but if you get it on sale I think it would add enough, like karaoke, etc., to make it worthwhile.
Scholar
#8 Old 21st Oct 2013 at 8:42 PM
Just in case you didn't know, the "coffeebar" in Showtime is a coffee house rabbithole.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 2:31 PM
Just to update: I did get Showtime and I do not regret it. The coffeebar was a disappointment (really? another dang rabbithole?) and I haven't touched those careers, and of course I had to eradicate the simport (ewwww!), but I really like the objects that came with this EP. Shoulda been an SP, really ....
Test Subject
#10 Old 11th Dec 2013 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pureheart
Just to update: I did get Showtime and I do not regret it. The coffeebar was a disappointment (really? another dang rabbithole?) and I haven't touched those careers, and of course I had to eradicate the simport (ewwww!), but I really like the objects that came with this EP. Shoulda been an SP, really ....

If you have University, you can place the Java Hut from University into another town in order to have a cafe. I was disappointed by the rabbithole coffeebar, too, and my girlfriend suggested I do that.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 6:05 PM
As far as unwanted wishes (like SimPort, SimFests, etc.), I just right-click them.

I just hate when those stupid opportunity windows pop up when your Sim is in the middle of a show.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Test Subject
#12 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 10:21 PM
I think it was a waste of time
Test Subject
#13 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSimsMeow
I think it was a waste of time
and money
Scholar
#14 Old 6th Jan 2014 at 4:01 PM
The only things that I like about Showtime are those darn pool tables, which, by the way, really should have come with Late Night....IMO. (Actually, Showtime should have never been; all of the features of Showtime should have came in Late Night, but....)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 12:31 AM
cluckin' bell you bucket daft punt!

why did you get it, why why why!!!!!

i thought you;d be stronger than meee you should have resisted the urgeee!!!!

Forum Resident
#16 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 10:18 PM
I have showtime EP.. Never intended to have it.. A friend bought it for thinking that I would want it... So I loaded it up.. Put on my page over at Sims 3. Do not request to send your sim to my game.. My game is modded every which way.. And Goddess above knows what your sim may come back looking like.

But yes, the pool tables are nice. The world is just not even worth loading up. Did it once.,. Explored it... And never went back to it.

I hate it when the voices in my head talk about me as though I were not there...
Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 11:04 PM
I hail Showtime as being one of those EPs you can installed alone and it's content will sustain itself for a while, because it has lot to do, even if you don't enjoy performing all that much. There's a lot of activities to engage in, such as golf, billiards/pool, mechanical bull riding, skeeball, karaoke - lots of cute, small stuff. The content itself may not be for everyone, but it covers a lot of ground and spare territory, while other EPs don't diverge too far from it's initial content.

Like, Late Night has very little to do if you don't want to go to a nightclub every night. You could build an arcade, but very little else.

An EP like University life has content all over the place. Stuff for both home lots and community lots and things for all age groups, too. It a great addition to the Sims 3, too (even with it's annoyances).

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#18 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 1:09 AM
At a good sale price it's well worth it in my opinion-the objects alone are worth it considering you'd pay 5 or 6 dollars for one comparable PC item in the store and you're getting a number of PC items here plus a bunch of other items and CAS stuff. I also think I'm one of the few people that genuinely likes the town that comes with it (although I could do with it being twice the size), it's one of my favourites to play in after I give it a bit of a makeover. I just ignore simport entirely and my Sims never seem to roll wishes relating to it. I dabble in the careers now and again, like any of the other careers in the game they're nothing special but fun to mess around with now and again.

Not to say that's it's a good EP by any means-honestly NONE of the EPs have really been that great for ts3-but pick it up for a tener or something and you probably wouldn't regret it for anyone who's considering getting it.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 1:16 PM
I would never have paid full price for Showtime. I only recently purchased it and I got in for about £5. I quite like it, the extra objects are nice and while I haven't played many of the features - I don't have the time or patience to deal with performances and shows seem to go on forever - I do like exploring it. Acrobat is always an option for my sporty Sims But I'm glad I didn't pay the full £35 for it when it first came out, there are plenty other expansions I would much rather play.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 10:48 PM
Showtime is horrible. I tried it once, made a female singer who lived in... whatever's the new neighbourhood called...

Don't know anything about the other jobs since I uninstalled the expansion very quickly but basically:

The singer job was incredibly sucky, the songs were boring and repetitive, and the sing-a-grams made no sense whatsoever. Your sim worked like 10 hours, and came home exhausted. I didn't even care about the new content. I just wanted to try the new careers, particularly the singer one, and this was a disappointment. So, don't buy, save the money for something better.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 11:29 PM
I uninstalled Showtime at one point, thinking, "Well, how often do I use any of the content?" I restored it within about a week because it turned out I use it almost constantly.

Heckling. For whatever it says about me, I never get tired of bad sim parents heckling their infants and toddlers.

Diva trait. I think it's one of the better or at least more distinctive traits available. Goes really well with mean-spirited and snob for making a truly insufferable sim.

Starlight Shores. I'm in the minority, too, for really loving this town. I find the night view very soothing, it suits about 1/3 of the games I play, it's not large enough to overwhelm my laptop. But the premade sims need to be made over or jettisoned.

Potential characters. From the magician whose career tanked after accidentally killing an assistant (I need to read the Wiki more so these things stop taking me by surprise) to the chick who's stuck in a dead end sing-a-gram job for all of her adult life. Also adds a fun, more active layer to your Vegas-y Lucky Palms if you go that way with it.

And add everything matrix says above about it being like UL, with a lot of content that's useful and fun for itself, independent of the main theme of the expansion. So yeah, I guess the expansion I use the least isn't Showtime.It's probably Seasons, but no way I'm ditching the aliens.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 3:54 PM
Karafrigginoke machine. Can't live without it.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Scholar
#23 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
I uninstalled Showtime at one point, thinking, "Well, how often do I use any of the content?" I restored it within about a week because it turned out I use it almost constantly.

Same here. I didn't realize how much I used the content until it was gone. Almost all of my community lots seem to have at least one of the following: golf range, karaoke machine, bucking bronco, photo booth, arcade machine or pool table. Doing magic tricks is kinda fun too. I don't much care for the careers themselves but they are easily ignored, as are the social functions.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 3:40 AM
Everytime I think about getting Showtime I stop myself and I dont know why. Something about it seems off-putting. I'm sure I'll eventually bite the bullet and get it along with Island Paradise but probably gonna wait until its super cheap onsale.

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.
"I'd trade all of my tomorrows for just one yesterday." Me and Bobby Mcgee
Test Subject
#25 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 7:25 PM Last edited by mlmbug : 13th Mar 2014 at 10:29 PM.
The worst things about show time is the performers that are stuck invisibly performing all over every town. (apparently there is no fix for when this happens and it happens quite a lot!)

Also when my household sims join in to the simfest, it usually ends with me reloading the save-game due to the nothing that happens when the proprietor is supposed to hand out the award (because something/someone just got stuck/reset).

i do think the stage props as house decor is brilliant (especially in island paradise, those cannons look awesome on a houseboat) as well as many of the other fun objects (in hobbies/skills section).
Page 1 of 2