Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 1:22 PM
Thinking about all the tiny details that they put into the game, including the ones that got lost, we can with no doubt say that it's the most detailed (but also most mysterious) game of the franchise.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 2:35 PM
Yeah, it was such a huge step up from sims 1 as well, even the base game.

Such a shame that nothing has really come close since. Now imagine if they had skipped sims 3 and spent all of the time they've spent on sims 3 *and* 4, working on a different version of sims 3 that would be released now.
Theorist
#53 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 2:55 PM
The community would probably start throwing bitchfits if there were no games released for 5 years.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 2:05 PM
I quite liked TS2 the way it was originally presented, it was a little more cartoony plus the unreleased hairstyles are just fabulous in my opinion
Test Subject
#55 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 6:31 PM Last edited by spendel : 11th Nov 2016 at 7:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by littlejestersims
I quite liked TS2 the way it was originally presented, it was a little more cartoony plus the unreleased hairstyles are just fabulous in my opinion

look what I've got

I just remake the beta hairstyle. these are some pics of my creation. and still lot of them on my laptop :3
Test Subject
#56 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I really like red flattop(?) hair. Seem like something Joe Carr would wear. You plan ever to release them?

As for beta, only major thing different was lighting and user interface ... Lighting can look much better than Beta with Radiance mod and beta UI I do like much though ... I really would enjoyed UI like that because it really close to first game and feel really simple and not too bubble-like and colourful of final game.

I did the UI too

as you can see below
Screenshots
Attached Images

Test Subject
#57 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spendel
I did the UI too

as you can see below

Just done with the sims 2 beta hair.. as you can see below

remake from the trailer.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#58 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 10:29 PM

remake from the trailer.

Wow, I really want this hair and t-shirt
Top Secret Researcher
#59 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 10:36 PM
The meshes are better now... I like it! It just needs proper texturing that matches Maxis textures. Ofcourse, It would be even cooler if they were animated, but that's hard work. I'll be happy enough to se them properly textured and posted as a set, here on MTS.
Theorist
#60 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 10:57 PM

remake from the trailer.

Can we have a link once you're finished?
Mad Poster
#61 Old 12th Nov 2016 at 10:58 PM
Better yet, upload it here!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#62 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 10:55 AM
Found this little gem whilst ruffling through Base Game's Objects06 to replace some textures. It's called "tempui-ui_txtr_1024x768.png"

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Instructor
#63 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Euan
http://i.imgur.com/7O87KHe.jpg And this.. it looks like The Sims original here.

http://www.gamerstemple.com/games3/000570/000570s.asp More early images are included in this link.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/243ivyt.jpg

Particularly the man and woman evolution, do you think there were additional life stages?
Maybe it was infant, toddler, kid, teen, young adult, adult, middle-aged, elder, death?

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#64 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 4:23 PM
Nah, those evolution images were produced quite late on. I don't think they are intended to show additional life stages but just different stages of the same life stage, if that makes sense?

I honestly don't think anything was lost, it's just that games go through many iterations before the team lands on the final product. It's very normal for the early versions of a game to look completely different from the finished version. The aspirations and fire-breathing toddler commercials were produced very early on; it's likely that these were never made using the game itself because the game wouldn't have been anywhere near that polished at the time. They were concept videos, created in the same way as cutscenes for other popular games at the time, in a totally separate 3D editor. The aspiration one is a little later because you can see it uses actual content from the final game. But the other trailer I think was just produced as an idea of what the sims 2 would be, rather than being based on anything they'd actually developed at that time.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 6:26 PM
I remember the old neighborhood and lot UI, but I've never seen the CAS second beta UI untill now. I like that the family tree was a part of the UI even while you created a sim, and I like that there was a "custom" clothing category, not mixed like it is now. They should've kept the old UI. It's a bit cleaner.
Test Subject
#66 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I remember the old neighborhood and lot UI, but I've never seen the CAS second beta UI untill now. I like that the family tree was a part of the UI even while you created a sim, and I like that there was a "custom" clothing category, not mixed like it is now. They should've kept the old UI. It's a bit cleaner.

I just wanna share my family. it was from the trailer, but couldnt make it

so i decided to remake it . Taa daa
Screenshots
Test Subject
#67 Old 13th Nov 2016 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Better yet, upload it here!

another screenshot
Screenshots
Test Subject
#68 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 6:28 PM
New mesh
Hey guys, its me again..

lol this is the final result of my meshes.
also the recolour
Screenshots
Scholar
#69 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 6:12 PM
Hey @spendel, do you mind using the Edit button to add on to your previous posts? You've made 3 consecutive posts now...

You have done a though

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Test Subject
#70 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Awesome going! You have some mad talent. Hopefully now we can have perfect recreations of the deleted Sims with unused hairs (Irma and Darleen number 1, I'm looking at you!).

OMG!! Where have you been? you are my inspiration!! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc

thats why i decided to recreate all unused hair in the sims 2 by myself.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#71 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 7:33 PM
Yes, and there was a lot talked about in early interviews which later got scrapped, but reintroduced with later expansions. Other examples are driveable cars, and weather - I remember a Will Wright interview where he said they couldn't stop it from raining inside the house. Now, if you look at the actual implementation of weather in Seasons, there is actually no physical rain, it's just a camera overlay. The camera knows if it's inside the bounds of the house and stops the overlay from appearing. The sims just react based on two factors: 1; it's raining, 2; their house is not weatherproof. Snowfall and rain puddles occur randomly but only outside. So it makes me think that with the first design of TS2 they were extremely ambitious and tried to make everything in an incredibly detailed way, and just either came up against hardware issues, or simply ran out of time. One of the problems with The Sims in terms of graphics and animation compared to, say, a scripted game like Tomb Raider is that The Sims has to be endless. With something like Tomb Raider, if you have a problematic item which is (to use sims terms) high poly, all you do is you make sure that it doesn't appear in any scene with another high poly item. If you have a graphical interaction which is hard on the processor, like reflective water, you make sure that when reflective water is around, everything else is less demanding to compensate. You can restrict certain animations from playing in certain situations, so they never clip or warp. With a game like The Sims, you have to make sure that everything is compatible with everything else. You have to make sure that if a user has loads of high-demand items on a lot that it isn't likely to crash when some graphic effect happens (which isn't always successful - I'm sure everyone knows the lag when a witch arrives on a community lot!) Higher-powered graphic effects were also added in later EPs. Seasons and higher add the water effects which are very hard on lower end machines, but by 2007 this was less of a concern than it was in 2004.

You can also see a shift when the development team changed, too. The earlier expansions were full of surprising and interesting things. Little details. The later ones still had cool ideas but they didn't have quite the same charm, I don't feel. And just disappointing laziness too, like elder outfits which just use the adult body shape, and teen careers just being the first three levels of the adult one, even when it doesn't make sense. Annoying coding which forces sims to flock to the "new stuff". Seasons is still my favourite expansion but there's a definite shift after OFB, which I believe is when Maxis began to focus on Spore (but don't quote me on that.)

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Theorist
#72 Old 17th Nov 2016 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Yes, and there was a lot talked about in early interviews which later got scrapped, but reintroduced with later expansions. Other examples are driveable cars, and weather - I remember a Will Wright interview where he said they couldn't stop it from raining inside the house. Now, if you look at the actual implementation of weather in Seasons, there is actually no physical rain, it's just a camera overlay. The camera knows if it's inside the bounds of the house and stops the overlay from appearing. The sims just react based on two factors: 1; it's raining, 2; their house is not weatherproof. Snowfall and rain puddles occur randomly but only outside. So it makes me think that with the first design of TS2 they were extremely ambitious and tried to make everything in an incredibly detailed way, and just either came up against hardware issues, or simply ran out of time.

Someone once explained to me how the rain was supposed to work. That was before seasons, apparently the leftover code from the rain was accessible somewhere in the files and she said it seemed like Maxis was trying to create the rain as many, many little objects and said that she can't imagine that to work on all but the best systems (at the time).

But you are 100% with Sims 2 they were extremely ambitious and they poured their heartblood into it and that is why that game, much more than Sims 3 (let's not even talk about TS4) is so excellent, and vibrant and charming and has enjoys such a long lifespan.
Us all being here, and the Sims 2 and it's expansions still being modeled in Game Stores, prooves that.
Test Subject
#73 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 1:27 AM Last edited by ratinhosbt : 18th Nov 2016 at 2:27 AM.
Hey i found something interesting in the beta videos such as trailers and gameplays most of them use The Sims 1 Rave music or the Hip Hop From the final game
Theorist
#74 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 3:07 AM
Anybody have a link to the trailer about teenage (Beta-)Don and teenage (Beta-)Dina. It showed teenage Don making out with a succession of female teenage sims, but frequently returning to Dina.
I really liked the song in that trailer. I think it was a simlish pop song.
Theorist
#75 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
^ Song 2 is the one you're most likely looking for, but I almost recall the same video having a version with a different song.

Thanks, yep it's the song! Though it was a bit faster in the trailer, or I'm just remembering it differently.
Page 3 of 7