Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2014 at 4:23 PM Last edited by justJones : 5th May 2014 at 5:01 PM. Reason: added link to mod
Default The One Sims Trash Challenge
Note: This is my first challenge. There aren't as many restrictions as other challenges so feel free to add more and alter it the way you want.

The One Sims Trash Challenge

One day I got bored and had my Sim spend all day dumpster diving in a public dumpster just to see what cool things she could find. Turns out, dumpster diving gives you a lot of furniture and that gave me an idea for a challenge.

The Story:

Your Sim has had a hard life. They were orphaned at a young age and spent most of their lives on the streets. Until now. After working a couple part time jobs, exploring for things to sell and maybe even pickpocketing, your Sim has enough money for their own place… and only for their own place.

Sadly, after a freak coffee pot explosion at the office buildings, your Sim has been banned from ever having a full time job in town ever again. Sure, there are part-time jobs around town he or she can take, but those don’t pay much. There isn’t going to be a lot of money to furnish their house or even expand.

One day, while your Sim was walking down an alleyway, they notice an opened dumpster and see a perfectly good (albeit dusty) chair sitting beside it. Your Sim decides to take the chair and check out what’s in the dumpster while they’re at it.

JACKPOT! Your Sim finds a few things they’ve been wanting. A small stereo, an end table, hell, they even found a whole couch! All in good condition. Granted, the couch is hideous and needs reupholstering, but that’s beside the point.

This little find gets your Sim to thinking, if I found this stuff in a dumpster, what else could I find? Hell, I could live off doing this and never have to buy a piece of furniture again!

Objective:

Build a large, nicely decorated house with almost nothing but objects you found while dumpster diving (and collecting from junk yards if you have ambitions.) The challenge is over when you’ve decorated your house with at least 100,000 simoleons (or more, depending on how challenging you want the experience to be.)

How to Play:

Create a single Sim. It can be a male or female young adult/adult with any traits.

Move your Sim onto a large lot (the largest is preferred) and build a very, very, VERY modest shack, preferably one room. With your remaining money, buy cheap bathroom, bedroom and kitchen objects. If you have anything left over, you can buy a car or bike.

You can either start your Sim’s life by going dumpster diving first, getting a part time job or going exploring for collectables.

As you build up your house, you can build it in any particular style you want with as many rooms and floors as you want

Marrying/Children: I encourage you to give your Sim a mate and children. The more Sims you control, the more items you will find while dumpster diving (see rules below.)

Birthdays: For every birthday in your household, you are allowed to buy one “gift” for that Sim. Only something you can’t or have yet to find while dumpster diving (a toy, a skill objects, etc.)

Non Furniture/Decor Items: Non furniture items found while dumpster diving (seeds, gems/stones, etc.) May be sold for extra cash.

Baby Items: Because I have yet to find any baby furniture while diving, your Sims can buy cribs, training potties, etc. Otherwise life would be really cruel for the little tykes, wouldn’t it?

Outdoor Decorating: Feel free to decorate your house on the outside using trees, flowers, etc. but do not buy outside furniture!

If you have Ambitions: Your Sim can be self-employed. You may use any furniture your sculptor Sim sculpts. Also, if you have icarus_allsorts’s salvaged junkyard objects mod, you can repair items found in junk yard and use them or sell them.

Rules:

1. No cheats.

2. Each Sim in your household can dumpster dive in a public dumpster 3 times a day and private trash cans 4 times a day.

3. You must start from scratch (no pre built starter homes.)

4. No Sim in your household may have a full time job except self-employment.

Except for cheating, there really is no way to lose.

I never put much thought into points, but here are some point related events (feel free to add more. I hate playing for points.)

+1 point for every fully furnished room your build.
+1/2 point for every 5 décor items you add to a room.
+1 point for every point related event you can think of because OMG I HATE POINTS GRRRR.

Tips and Ideas:

Make it Generational – See how fancy you can make your house in a set number of generations

CASt is Your Friend – Don’t forget to edit all your found furniture and objects in CASt. Your goal is to make not just a wealthy house, but a NICE looking one.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 1st May 2014 at 10:57 PM
One word FUN
Test Subject
#3 Old 1st May 2014 at 11:51 PM
I actually really wanna try this challenge! XD
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd May 2014 at 11:41 PM
This sounds cool!
Instructor
#5 Old 4th May 2014 at 3:14 PM
deffently going to try this
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th May 2014 at 4:56 AM
starting this tonight - LTW = living in the lap of luxury, guess I will know when I have a household worth 100,000
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#7 Old 5th May 2014 at 5:02 PM Last edited by justJones : 5th May 2014 at 9:30 PM.
Think I'm going to give this a go Also, I added the link to the icarus mod into your post.

So it's ok if my sim uses the inventing station and sells what she invents?
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th May 2014 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
So it's ok if my sim uses the inventing station and sells what she invents?

Sure thing!

Test Subject
#9 Old 24th May 2014 at 9:58 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun. I think I may combine this with a runaway challenge, just for storytelling purposes. Is it alright to make our Sim a Klepto OR a Mooch. I feel like both traits would be a little cheaty.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 4:07 PM
Use any traits you want to gain what's needed. The object of this challenge is to find objects to decorate with/sell rather than buying them, so Klepto or Mooch are perfect! :D

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 7:23 PM
Default FYI: Icarus salvage mod broke my game!
FYI: Today I started playing this fun challenge, but the salvage mod broke my game. Having trouble fixing it.

Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
Note: This is my first challenge. There aren't as many restrictions as other challenges so feel free to add more and alter it the way you want.

The One Sims Trash Challenge

One day I got bored and had my Sim spend all day dumpster diving in a public dumpster just to see what cool things she could find. Turns out, dumpster diving gives you a lot of furniture and that gave me an idea for a challenge.

The Story:

Your Sim has had a hard life. They were orphaned at a young age and spent most of their lives on the streets. Until now. After working a couple part time jobs, exploring for things to sell and maybe even pickpocketing, your Sim has enough money for their own place� and only for their own place.

Sadly, after a freak coffee pot explosion at the office buildings, your Sim has been banned from ever having a full time job in town ever again. Sure, there are part-time jobs around town he or she can take, but those don�t pay much. There isn�t going to be a lot of money to furnish their house or even expand.

One day, while your Sim was walking down an alleyway, they notice an opened dumpster and see a perfectly good (albeit dusty) chair sitting beside it. Your Sim decides to take the chair and check out what�s in the dumpster while they�re at it.

JACKPOT! Your Sim finds a few things they�ve been wanting. A small stereo, an end table, hell, they even found a whole couch! All in good condition. Granted, the couch is hideous and needs reupholstering, but that�s beside the point.

This little find gets your Sim to thinking, if I found this stuff in a dumpster, what else could I find? Hell, I could live off doing this and never have to buy a piece of furniture again!

Objective:

Build a large, nicely decorated house with almost nothing but objects you found while dumpster diving (and collecting from junk yards if you have ambitions.) The challenge is over when you�ve decorated your house with at least 100,000 simoleons (or more, depending on how challenging you want the experience to be.)

How to Play:

Create a single Sim. It can be a male or female young adult/adult with any traits.

Move your Sim onto a large lot (the largest is preferred) and build a very, very, VERY modest shack, preferably one room. With your remaining money, buy cheap bathroom, bedroom and kitchen objects. If you have anything left over, you can buy a car or bike.

You can either start your Sim�s life by going dumpster diving first, getting a part time job or going exploring for collectables.

As you build up your house, you can build it in any particular style you want with as many rooms and floors as you want

Marrying/Children: I encourage you to give your Sim a mate and children. The more Sims you control, the more items you will find while dumpster diving (see rules below.)

Birthdays: For every birthday in your household, you are allowed to buy one �gift� for that Sim. Only something you can�t or have yet to find while dumpster diving (a toy, a skill objects, etc.)

Non Furniture/Decor Items: Non furniture items found while dumpster diving (seeds, gems/stones, etc.) May be sold for extra cash.

Baby Items: Because I have yet to find any baby furniture while diving, your Sims can buy cribs, training potties, etc. Otherwise life would be really cruel for the little tykes, wouldn�t it?

Outdoor Decorating: Feel free to decorate your house on the outside using trees, flowers, etc. but do not buy outside furniture!

If you have Ambitions: Your Sim can be self-employed. You may use any furniture your sculptor Sim sculpts. Also, if you have icarus_allsorts�s salvaged junkyard objects mod, you can repair items found in junk yard and use them or sell them.

Rules:

1. No cheats.

2. Each Sim in your household can dumpster dive in a public dumpster 3 times a day and private trash cans 4 times a day.

3. You must start from scratch (no pre built starter homes.)

4. No Sim in your household may have a full time job except self-employment.

Except for cheating, there really is no way to lose.

I never put much thought into points, but here are some point related events (feel free to add more. I hate playing for points.)

+1 point for every fully furnished room your build.
+1/2 point for every 5 d�cor items you add to a room.
+1 point for every point related event you can think of because OMG I HATE POINTS GRRRR.

Tips and Ideas:

Make it Generational � See how fancy you can make your house in a set number of generations

CASt is Your Friend � Don�t forget to edit all your found furniture and objects in CASt. Your goal is to make not just a wealthy house, but a NICE looking one.
Test Subject
#12 Old 12th Sep 2018 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GingerNana
FYI: Today I started playing this fun challenge, but the salvage mod broke my game. Having trouble fixing it.

Contact the mod creator or ask in the Help section, don't revive a dead thread over it.