Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 4:43 AM
Oooooh! My grandmother bought a new computer, like one of the first nice computers with a flat screen monitor. It was a gateway, she was OBSESSED with gateway computers when they were all the rage, lol. She got the Sims 1 base game as a free gift with the computer, it was awesome! She gave it to me because she didn't think she would be interested. After I played it, I told her she HAD to play it too! She did and we would spend days playing and creating families together. HAHA, you go grandma!

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 2:00 AM
Haha! I'll bet she played it when you weren't around, too.

Your Grandma was hip.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#28 Old 21st Jul 2015 at 4:11 AM
I had a friend in High School who played. She was so into it, she'd break plans on rare occasion to play on a Friday night.I didn't understand the fuss. But I also never really touched a computer. So fast forward in to my 20's and I'm dating a gamer/computer nerd. Mr. World Of Warcraft. He ignored me a lot during this time. I eventually blew up and demanded a computer to entertain myself since there was no tv. His comp WAS the tv. LOL He threw dusty old parts in a box, and boom computer. I enjoy it but casually ask "Hmm..you think this thing can run that Sims game?" hahaha He then proceeded to illegally download it and omg!! I was a junkie instantly (he said he discovered my sanity that day). Bought the real game and what few expansions where out that Monday. Never looked back.
Test Subject
#29 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 1:01 AM
I had gotten the game back in middle school and over the years moved and had multiple computers. This game has always been available my friends had it and it was finally available in complete collection. I was relieved. Its been since 2000 and I am still playing! yippee. I haven't played but recently got a copy from ebay. So I am thrilled. I got a new opportunity to start customizing again.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 5th Jan 2016 at 12:16 AM
When I was nearly 10 years old, I saved up enough pocket money to spend on whatever I liked. Usually I would buy CDs, but this one time in Woolworths (does anyone remember those?) I found the Sims 1 base game and I think Superstar. Needless to say, I got hooked and collected all of them and then I continued onto the Sims 2. I've yet to collect the Sims 3/4. When I get a new computer that has enough memory and good graphics, hopefully I will be able to have both 1 & 2. I haven't played 1 in years.
Test Subject
#31 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 3:19 AM
BUMP. And my sister in law gave me Deluxe edition, Hot Date (Which my parents took away because I was 7 when I got the games) Makin' Magic (My favorite of the expansions SuperStar, and House Party (which broke the game) and since then, my life ultimately changed, I now have Complete Collection, it somehow works on Windows 10 when it shouldn't and works well, but that might be because of VirtualBox with XP, The Sims works better than The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection without mods.
Test Subject
#32 Old 31st Jan 2016 at 1:14 PM
I got a game, can't remember what it was but it wouldn't work on my computer without freezing it entirely so I returned it (oh the days where refunding a PC retail game was possible), saw The Sims sitting on a shelf and thought 'hmm this looks cool' and just got hooked. I felt like I was controlling my own little world and it was great. Plus I used to be awful at it - sims were always miserable so I liked the challenge of getting better, making more friends, getting more skill points and finally hitting the top of the career they were on. Good times. I can't get into The Sims as much anymore, but TS2 remains my favorite game. TS3 has little annoyances but TS4 is just disappointing to me :/
Scholar
#33 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 4:30 AM
Sims 1 definitely got me hooked on the series. I got my first computer around the time the game came out, and the game was included with the computer. Once I tried it I found it to pretty fun and addicting. I never really bought a lot of the expansions just because I felt it was too expensive to buy all of it, but I did buy the Complete Collection when it came out. When Sims 2 came out I never actually bought it. A friend of mine apparently bought it and Open for Business and didn't like it, so he gave it to me and I ended up liking it. I did buy a couple expansions for it, but as with Sims 1 I never bought all of them. Like with 1 I now have everything for 2 because of the Ultimate Collection. I did buy 3, but only one expansion. I'm just not the kind of person that really likes the concept of expansions (or DLC) for games, I like getting the full game when I buy one and not having to buy it in segments. I may eventually give 4 a try, but I know in order to get the full experience I'd have to buy the main game and the expansions.
Scholar
#34 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 1:08 AM
I couldn't get Sims 2 yet for some reason so my mom bought me all of Sims 1. I played it for like...6 months before I got Sims 2 and University.

My first game was Bustin' Out for Gamecube so I was so ready for Sims. Can you imagine my disappointment when I realized Sims 1 for PC had no face cams or expressions like Bustin' Out? but I still love it. I want to turn all of my Sims 2 game into Makin' Magic, my fave expansion.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Field Researcher
#35 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 11:29 PM
Growing up as a kid we always had Sim games in the house because my mom was into them. Lots of them! SimAnt, various versions of SimCity, I had SimTown. By the time The Sims was announced we were soooo excited for it to be released! It came out when I was 11 and we were hooked. We had every single expansion pack. Once TS2 came out we hopped the train to that, and also ended up with every expansion and stuff pack. Neither of us played TS3, and now my mom plays TS4 but I never really got into it and still play TS2! Just such a fantastic series of games!
Scholar
#36 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 4:58 PM
My aunties used to babysit me and they had TS1 basegame brand new, fresh from the shop. And that's how I started playing since the age of 3.
We either got their copy or bought our own, and over time we bought some EPs.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Forum Resident
#37 Old 28th Apr 2016 at 7:28 PM
My grandparents had it on a burned disc, I think it was originally my uncle's. Me and my cousin used to play it, making new families every time: and it would always consist of a mum, a dad, a son and a daughter. Either you made the mum and son, or the dad and daughter.

I am Error.
Scholar
#38 Old 6th May 2016 at 8:38 AM
I bought TS1 on a day my mum let me skyve from school due to bullying. That's why the game is more than just nostalgic for me - it helped me through a very dark time of my life.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 18th May 2016 at 3:44 AM
I think my favorite thing about TS1, was that there were so many stories I could make up with it. TS3 introduced me to the franchise but I think TS1 was my favorite until I played TS2
Mad Poster
#40 Old 18th May 2016 at 7:54 PM
It was a magazine article from the dev team in Nickelodeon magazine that pulled me in, but I saw the ads at the mall.

I bought it with my 13th Birthday money in October in 2000.

It was just awesome to play such a groundbreaking game in a simulation genre.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Field Researcher
#41 Old 19th May 2016 at 12:56 AM Last edited by selfmadequeen : 19th May 2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Grammar massacre
I was addicted to SimCity 3000 and there was a preview for The Sims on it. I watched it and got so stoked for it! I got it for Xmas that year and it blew my mind. I had every expansion pack and played for years and years...until The Sims 2 came out.
Test Subject
#42 Old 27th May 2016 at 3:19 PM
When I was younger, I remember my brothers used to play The Sims a lot. (Mind, I don't know when exactly this was - it was probably shortly after the original game came out.) That's what got me hooked - just seeing them play.

...of course, I haven't really "upgraded". I haven't figured out how to play The Sims 2 quite yet, and it doesn't run very well on my computer, so that definitely doesn't help. (Sometimes I feel like the only person who still plays TS1... even if I know that's not the case, it sure feels like it. XD)
Instructor
#43 Old 28th May 2016 at 5:39 AM
Wow, this is bringing up so many memories for me! The very first Sims game I played was The Sims 1 on PS2. And after that, I was completely hooked for life. The first PC game I got was The Sims 2. I had gotten it after going discussions about it on Facebook Now I play every single game on PC.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

My Tumblr
#44 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 6:30 PM
First The Sims game, there are so many memories there. Music, funny Sims actions & gibberish talking, random phone calls, snoring Sims sound, memorable Sims object and sound effect when placing object and selling object, aah. Very satisfying.
Fun-goofy-killing all sims gameplay sometimes combined with insane difficulty of Sims' mood lowered down so quickly.

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Test Subject
#45 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 2:15 PM
If anything, it mainly was its amazing soundtrack that all the other Sims games couldn't beat at all.
Also, because of COMIC SANS
Mad Poster
#46 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 3:31 AM
It was the Challenge. The charm of the dark humor, and the general atmosphere. The first game had everything. A moody feeling that the Adam's family would be proud of, set in then-present day New Orleans with an amazing Jazz soundtrack to fit, all wrapped up in a well balanced game economy that actually did what the box said - simulate life.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#47 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 5:39 AM
I think it got me into Jazz and Classical music as well.
Test Subject
#48 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 5:44 AM
My uncle is the one who introduced me to it (No dirty uncle joke implied lol), I'd seen the commercials on tv as a kid and didn't think too much of it at first, but my uncle had it on his laptop and gave the games too us and we installed it on our computer and then I just got hooked after I finally gave it a try, it was hard to get me off of it, it was always there for my antisocial child self until I actually made a friend in like 6th grade or something lol, still always loved it and even got my best friend hooked as well! :D
Scholar
#49 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 6:53 PM
I recall my older brother had Sims Deluxe installed, he showed me how to make a family (he told me to make one of at least five members at first...) and I liked it; the creating of characters, personalities and controlling their lives.
Test Subject
#50 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 3:50 PM
I got hooked when I had Sims 1 for PS2 when I was a child. I never finished the story mode but enjoyed free mode. I loved and still love to start fires and cause death.
Page 2 of 3