Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:29 AM
Default Internet Connection Required for Product Activation
Am I the only one supremely pissed off by this? I'm about to go and live with my grandmother for a month and won't have internet for my laptop. If I'd waited to install it on this computer (as I use my desktop much more), then I would have been fucked. Also, why am I paying for a disc and choosing to buy a disk when I still have to wait for the game to download? What is even on the disc?

So so not impressed.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:36 AM
I was disappointed by this too, to say the least. The game actually does install from the disk, but once it's on Origin, you can download it from there, too. Installation from the disc seems to be faster than downloading.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:41 AM
downloading on origin only took like ten minutes for me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:45 AM
I live in Australia and have to pay a large amount of money every month for a limit of internet. I really just don't see why it's necessary. If people want to download it, that's well and good, but there should be options for people who want to play a game without needing the internet.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:49 AM
There should also be options for people who don't want Origin on their computers.

The Possibilities are Endless

-----------------------
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:21 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 4th Sep 2014 at 3:42 AM.
My understanding is that disks are on their way out and more games will be offered through digital downloads only. You do need an internet connection to set the game up, but you can play in off-line mode after that. I'm not sure about this part, but I think you can also play without the disk once it's all set up, but you'll need internet access for that part. When you do have the internet access for it, that's actually an advantage.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Alchemist
#7 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miss Harlequin
Am I the only one supremely pissed off by this? I'm about to go and live with my grandmother for a month and won't have internet for my laptop. If I'd waited to install it on this computer (as I use my desktop much more), then I would have been fucked. Also, why am I paying for a disc and choosing to buy a disk when I still have to wait for the game to download? What is even on the disc?

So so not impressed.

It's been known for about 6 or 7 months that it had online activation. Where have you been?
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:41 AM
The worst thing for me, as an Australian, was having to wait until last night to play it or use a VPN to have the Origin client think I was in the US. Having region restrictions on digital goods like this is just stupid. I ended up using a VPN and have been playing the game for 2 days now.
Instructor
#9 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 6:18 AM
well that's not normal... if you bought a disc you should probably install it no need for Digital copy then...

EDIT: and also you must have internet connection, base in your case that's totally sad Hope that you'll fix your problem and someone here should see this or make an report for this..

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Forum Resident
#10 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 7:28 AM
EA *requires* you install Origin to activate your game. EA also *requires* that you agree to Origin's terms of service which mine the hell out of your private data. You cant even ask a question on the forum or get online help without installing Origin and agreeing to surrender your privacy through spyware that they dont consider to be spyware, since you agreed to accept it.

Origin is NOT designed to prevent piracy. They could do that with a simple activation that does NOT require you to surrender all your data to them. Read their TOS for Origin. They can collect everything from your DOB, SSN and credit card numbers. And they say they will "NEVER" share it with a third party... except for all the instances when they DO share it with third parties without your knowledge or consent. And they explicitly state that they will use all this personally identifiable information to monitor your "behavior" and "enforce" their Terms of Service. There are even published reports of Origin taking data from people's tax preparation software.

And when people tell you you can opt out ...DONT YOU BELIEVE IT! EA states that if you wish to opt out, cancel your account, stop playing their games and dont even visit their websites. If you dont cancel your account, or if you use any of their software or even visit a site they own, you've agreed to accept their Terms of Service.

Ever get the feeling you were being watched..?
Instructor
#11 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 7:46 AM
Internet connection is required for activation only. Clearly states that in numerous places/Game box/websites etc.

Blame the software pirates for this current culture.

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Test Subject
#12 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 8:04 AM
Except the software pirates are not bothered by this... Blame the large corporate marketing departments that want control of consumers, to influence their spending habits.

The One,
The Only,
The Original,
Cyber-Surfer - The Ghost in the World's Virtual Machine
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 8:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
It's been known for about 6 or 7 months that it had online activation. Where have you been?

Having a life, what about you?
Test Subject
#14 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 11:28 AM
Sorry if this is obvious, but do you have to log in to Origin every time you want to play the game? If I installed the game and activated it through Origin, could I then uninstall Origin afterwards and still be able to play?
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 12:52 PM
you can use origin in offline mode
Field Researcher
#16 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Riaise
Sorry if this is obvious, but do you have to log in to Origin every time you want to play the game? If I installed the game and activated it through Origin, could I then uninstall Origin afterwards and still be able to play?

My understanding of it is no. Origin must be present for the game to work. When you play offline, it still collects and sends gathered information. When you don't have an internet connection, it just saves the information and waits until you do have one to send out the info it's collected. I believe that gem of info was in the Terms of Service.
Theorist
#17 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miss Harlequin

So so not impressed.

I don't blame you for being mad and not impressed. As for what is on the disk, customer service doesn't like to talk about it. Such respect for the paying customer. NOT!

If a person buys a game, they should be able to slam the door shut to the outside world and play until their heart is content without being bothered. This is how I play and if EA thinks they have the upper hand by insisting that they are going to do something that I don't agree with, they can STFU and stuff their games where the sun doesn't shine.

I've already been through this shit of "You're a pirate!" nonsense with EA. I sent copies of every single receipt I had for all the EPs and SPs I bought for TS2 to some schmuck at worked for EA at the time. TS4 was sold with the words of "You only need online access to activate the game." People were left under the impression that this 'activation' was a one time deal, not every time you load the game. They love to play word games and this is another fine example of that. Never mind the fact that LPs are showing how the game makes noise at the player after they've played for a hour.

Welcome to nanny state politics in the sims.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:31 PM
Wait, what, I understand that you need Origin for *activation*, but are you saying that you MUST download the game from Origin to install, even if you have the disk? Then what good's the disk?
Test Subject
#19 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ldms510
My understanding of it is no. Origin must be present for the game to work. When you play offline, it still collects and sends gathered information. When you don't have an internet connection, it just saves the information and waits until you do have one to send out the info it's collected. I believe that gem of info was in the Terms of Service.

Thank you for the information.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 6:19 AM
You must install Origin to activate your game. You CAN play your game offline. That does NOT prevent Origin from collecting data on you (and not data SOLELY related to the game, either. Their TOS clearly states that they track and monitor your online behavior through methods not visible to the user!). Next time you connect to the internet, Origin sends EA all the data it collected. Some folks say "you can just turn it off". And they can just turn it back on remotely, long enough for it to send out it's report on you. It collects data whether you're online or offline, and Der Speigel (i may have spelled it wrong) in Germany published reports that Origin has actually accessed people's tax preparation software, collected the data (age, income levels, household sizes, everything that's put on your tax documents) and reported it back to EA. They even know if you paid your tax bill with your credit card or checking account, and have those numbers on file. It's all in EA's TOS for the games and for Origin use.

EA freely admits that the ONLY way to 'opt out' is to delete origin and stop playing their games. And by visiting their website, you've agreed to their Terms. So even going there to read them, you're accepting their data collection methods (which includes single pixel trackers planted in images).

This isn't hearsay. It's not rumors. I went to the EA website and read the Terms of Service. I went to the Origin website and read their Terms of Service.

@FifthAce2007 - you are technically correct, it DOES say that you only need to go online to activate the game. But you must agree to their data mining terms of service and surrender your privacy to download Origin and you MUST download Origin to activate the game. Removing Origin from your computer may affect your ability to access your game, as well as installing patches, updates or free downloadable content, etc. And ldms510 is correct. Origin is installed on your machine, collecting your data whether you're connected to the internet or not. You only need to connect for a moment for Origin to submit its report on you. The time it takes to check your email, Origin has already submitted all the data it collected. Personally identifiable data, as their TOS readily admits... down to your Social Security Number, which is also stated in their TOS.

@rkalanu - what happens is, the game data is on the disk, so you are not downloading it from Origin, per se. You are activating it through Origin. There is data that must be cleared through Origin to activate your game from the disk. This requirement does NOTHING to curtail piracy, as they claim. It FORCES you to agree to allow EA to collect your data AND control your access. On top of all the data mining they do, they can also cancel your access to the game. So you can lay down $80 for it and they can read a post they dont like, and switch off your account, making ALL your digitally downloaded games worthless. And as per their TOS they do not have to refund your money. If you have the disk and you've already activated it, you can still play off your disk (and Origin still collects your data and reports on you). If you bought it digitally, well... you dont really own it. THEY do, and you use it with their permission.
Alchemist
#21 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 6:46 AM
Wow. That is awful. How in the world is that legal?
Test Subject
#22 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 7:15 AM
"Stealing" someone's social security information and financial information is not legal regardless what EA and their TOS would like you to believe. I'm fairly certain if it does go that far, and can be proven, that EA might have a big pool of hot water they find themselves into.

The One,
The Only,
The Original,
Cyber-Surfer - The Ghost in the World's Virtual Machine
Forum Resident
#23 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 7:30 AM
The problem is.. by agreeing to the Terms of Service, you are giving them permission to access this data. I consider it theft, because they know damn well nobody (except a few geeks like me) reads the Terms of Service. they scroll down, click the box and click "OK" so they can play their game. And let's face it... The Sims is an incredibly fun and entertaining game. Who wants to read 40 pages of legal jargon?

But it IS legal, because you grant them permission. If you filed suit saying "they took my data" they pull out their Terms of Service and say, "But... you agreed". It can be proven and has been proven. If I ask you for you social security number and you give it to me, i've violated no laws. if i say, "i'm going through your wallet, just to get some information" and you say, "Alright", i've broken no laws. Even if i DO copy down your SSN and credit card numbers (though using them is a different story).

Consequently, this is how they justify the use of "invisible gifs" and "single pixel trackers" and still claim "we don't use spyware". It's not spyware if they tell you they're going to do it and you click 'OK'. Even if it still has all the nefarious applications of collecting personally identifiable data (that means they know it's you!) under the radar. Their TOS specifically say that this data is collected in ways that are invisible to you, the user!

See my other post on "Origin of Peg-Legs". I've got direct quotes from EA's ToS there. Do you know they can suspend your access to digital data (ie disallow you from playing any game you downloaded from them) for installing a mod that they consider offensive or inappropriate? Yep... technically, they can suspend your entire account permanently (ALL your digital content), without refunding your money, for say... removing the blur so you can see barbie doll anatomies? Will they? probably not. Can they? ABSOLUTELY. And with their tracking and data miners, dont think they cant tell...

And the whole thing is Legal /Possible because not enough people in this Community are willing to put their foot down and say, "ENOUGH!"
Instructor
#24 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 7:53 AM
@grinevilly - and everyone else who objects to this so called data-mining/unsage: Forgive me for sounding blunt, but if you don't agree with it, don't use it. It's as simple as that really. No-one is holding a gun to your heads.

As for the theories on how they use this information, well I am obviously using Origin now and have done extensively in the past on and off since it's inception, and always have my settings for now allowing contact (by ticking or unticking the boxes etc) set to disallowed, and I have never recieved any emails or any other contact from Origin except those about passwords or confirmation of orders etc. I've never had an increase of spam, or any span at all for that matter, from using Origin, so obviouslt they must honour those preferences.

Or am I special

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 7:59 AM
Origin is one of the major reasons why I won't be buying Sims 4. I wasn't going to buy the game anyway, due to all of the content that got cut, but I thought I should at least look at the CAS demo before making a final decision. I'd heard various horror stories about Origin but I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I downloaded it and installed it without a hitch. I downloaded and installed the demo without a hitch. I didn't feel like getting involved with the demo at the time so I logged off and went out to do some real-life stuff. Later in the day I turned on my computer and Launched Sims Medieval. Well, I tried to launch it, but instead I got a message from Windows saying that the shortcut no longer pointed to the exe file. I looked in the installation folder and, to my horror, the exe file (among other files)n was gone. Installing Origin and using it to download the CAS demo had somehow managed to erase several of my Sims Medieval files. Needless to say, Origin was immediately purged from my system, and it will never be allowed back under any conceivable circumstances. Of course, this meant I'd never be able to try the demo but that was no longer important. As far as I'm concerned, Origin is nothing but an intrusive, destructive piece of malware, and EA should be ashamed of themselves for forcing its customers to use it. Ah, but what should I have expected? After all, this is the same corporation that inflicted SecuROM on the Sims community. Congratulations on losing another customer, EA. I spent a fortune on Sims 2 and 3 and in your damn store; I would have done the same with Sims 4. Now I'll be spending my money on something else.

In case anyone is wondering, my Sims Medieval save files were unharmed, and after a full manual uninstall and reinstall of the game, the Kingdom of Nordenheim still stands, although recent events outside the realm have left the Watcher a little rattled.
Page 1 of 2