Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 5:30 PM
I mentioned Sims Resource because it was a huge paysite back in the day. Does it still exist? I have no idea. But yeah, basically, it was a very popular page, and a lot of the content was just... It was terrible. Not worth being behind a pay wall at all.

Damn it I feel so old. Memories of downloading sims 1 CC into floppy disks are coming back to me.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nissun
I mentioned Sims Resource because it was a huge paysite back in the day. Does it still exist? I have no idea. But yeah, basically, it was a very popular page, and a lot of the content was just... It was terrible. Not worth being behind a pay wall at all.

Damn it I feel so old. Memories of downloading sims 1 CC into floppy disks are coming back to me.

Yes, they still exist- they went free-ish (e.g. you pay 3.50 a month to be a VIP member and it frees you from the ads and gives you a faster download speed, or you can deal with ads and waiting ten seconds to download rather in the same way that you get faster download speeds by donating here at MTS or over at Around the Sims). I am not sure but I believe their FA's are still getting paid per download though.
Scholar
#28 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:34 PM
Things like this : "All Mods/Skins are Free! However, Explicit 18+ content may be subject to fees." and using a website with a name that makes it sounds as if its the official forums makes me seriously doubt that site. Only thing missing (although I didn't test it because I don't want to register) is ad.fly links. That would make it a lot like certain Minecraft mod websites that make money from putting up other people's mods for download behind ad.fly links and show 9872394879823 ads on a page.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 4:48 AM
I couldn't care less if EA can't be bothered to stop people profiting out of its IP or even produce competing DLC with any enthusiasm. What gets me is that while creators bring us CC for free, often with a quiet option to donate small change via Paypal or click a certain alternative link, someone else profits. Presumably said creators wouldn't want a cut, but it's still utterly disgusting that someone else should be able to sell freely available content for anything more than the cost of printing and postage. (Zero cost in the case of a download.) I do not take issue with people hoping to be bought the occasional cup of tea for their freely offered creation, or within reason for privately compensating those who donate/support and making it the recipient's call whether or not to release the item to the public.

Those sites which charge for content made by unaffiliated designers, under the forged EA brandname or not, are worse than pirates. If somebody told you, "You can't sell your art, but feel free to keep gifting it to the townspeople out of goodwill" and then you realised there was an underground market for prints of your art, involving many "loyal" customers who have never heard your name, how would you feel? The only thing I think is even in the same realm of corruption is the sale of (not sheer existence of) pirated goods in physical format in the case where the item in question has had an official release in the country where it is purchased. The CC situation I would venture is actually worse because whether or not EA cares about it, the sites with paywalls in front of freely available CC are exploiting three parties at once: the consumer, the creator, and the rightsholder. While the rightsholder is a multinational company, the creator is not and deserves none of these upsetting consequences to their positive moral decision.

It cannot be justified in any way.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 6:02 AM

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:51 AM Last edited by sevenfisher : 19th Sep 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
Things like this : "All Mods/Skins are Free! However, Explicit 18+ content may be subject to fees." and using a website with a name that makes it sounds as if its the official forums makes me seriously doubt that site. Only thing missing (although I didn't test it because I don't want to register) is ad.fly links. That would make it a lot like certain Minecraft mod websites that make money from putting up other people's mods for download behind ad.fly links and show 9872394879823 ads on a page.

I had that Google Chrome addon that disables them I guess, because I didn't see any, I've got account on there and I'm shocked at prices of adult mods. They were like $7 each and iirc the original creators didn't upload them, I think. Will have to check this again but I was shocked to see mosaic censor removal, you'll need to pay for it on that site yet you can get it for free from original creator on here or another site...

edit: It's $4 for mosaic censor removal there, and they did credit to original creator but I've no idea if the creator actually made their account there and gave them permission to upload it, or not.

Currently Playing:Last of Us Remastered, Final Fantasy XIV, Rare Replay - Blast Corps, The Sims 2, 3, 4
Page 2 of 2