Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[UPDATE: Jan-3-17] Apartments & Roommates Fix [New features!]

by pjsutton Posted 3rd May 2015 at 3:31 PM - Updated 4th Jan 2017 at 2:44 AM by pjsutton : new features!

225 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 186 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 10
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd May 2015 at 6:04 PM
Let me know if you encounter any issues!!! This is not the final version by any means!
Test Subject
#3 Old 4th May 2015 at 12:50 AM
Have you tested with University Life dorms?
Inventor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 4th May 2015 at 12:55 AM
Sounds great. I'll give it a shot.. Hopefully have a chance to try it tonight and thank you so much!!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th May 2015 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Illassala
Have you tested with University Life dorms?

I didn't get a chance to yet, but it *shouldn't* interfere with them, because I only tried to change things about "Apartment" lots. If you are going to send a sim to Uni it'd be nice if you checked it out :-)
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#6 Old 4th May 2015 at 3:26 AM
Finally someone fix this mess called apartments with the broken roommates system. The worst is if you have an apartment in the neighborhood you are landed with 8 random npc roommates on your regular lot ARRRGGGGHHHh. So thank you so much for this ;)
dodgy builder
#7 Old 4th May 2015 at 9:09 PM
Hm ... *scratch head*, does this mean I can make a house with like say 8 units in basegame, the active player will have one unit and the rest should be free of charge, that means empty? I have tried quite a few of the rest of the apartment setups, or perhaps this is mostly for university exp?

I wonder how this will turn up compared to the hidden and public markers I'm used to using, because they will then be limited to 8 units really, and you will pay for all furniture in the other units. So what I usually do is to make then 8 units, have one furnished for the active family, and if the player likes to have more than one unit for their game, they will have to furnish themselves and remove the markers for the unit extra. This is kind of technical, but the game will then make out a price for the unit based on whatever units is in the house and add furniture I have added and the active unit has to pay for those as well.

The price will then be preportionate for the common areas and the size the of building, amount of units, and how much has been furnished. Apparently furnishing other units isn't much use both because it adds to the cost of the active unit, and because those silly NPC's don't know what to do about the flat ... or something.

I'm saying this in many different ways just for you to understand what I'm doing when building an apartment building, and how it works from my point a view.

So what I'm wondering about is how this will be with this mod really. Do you have a clear idea on what each apartment will have to cover, and if there still is this 8 unit limit introduced since uni exp. Is it so that I can make a building of 8 units, furnish one and leave the rest to the downloader, or can I even furnish them all and each tenent will pay for just their unit?

oh yes ... and you're talking about apartment lots, that's just for uni exp right. In basegame that would be residential.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th May 2015 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Hm ... *scratch head*, does this mean I can make a house with like say 8 units in basegame, the active player will have one unit and the rest should be free of charge, that means empty? I have tried quite a few of the rest of the apartment setups, or perhaps this is mostly for university exp?

I wonder how this will turn up compared to the hidden and public markers I'm used to using, because they will then be limited to 8 units really, and you will pay for all furniture in the other units. So what I usually do is to make then 8 units, have one furnished for the active family, and if the player likes to have more than one unit for their game, they will have to furnish themselves and remove the markers for the unit extra. This is kind of technical, but the game will then make out a price for the unit based on whatever units is in the house and add furniture I have added and the active unit has to pay for those as well.

The price will then be preportionate for the common areas and the size the of building, amount of units, and how much has been furnished. Apparently furnishing other units isn't much use both because it adds to the cost of the active unit, and because those silly NPC's don't know what to do about the flat ... or something.

I'm saying this in many different ways just for you to understand what I'm doing when building an apartment building, and how it works from my point a view.

So what I'm wondering about is how this will be with this mod really. Do you have a clear idea on what each apartment will have to cover, and if there still is this 8 unit limit introduced since uni exp. Is it so that I can make a building of 8 units, furnish one and leave the rest to the downloader, or can I even furnish them all and each tenent will pay for just their unit?

oh yes ... and you're talking about apartment lots, that's just for uni exp right. In basegame that would be residential.

The 8 Sim limit doesn't have anything to do with apartments ... lots have been capped at 8 Sims since the days of TS1.

All this mod does is a.) stop the randomly generated roommates that appear on lots zoned as "apartment" from appearing and b.) lets you use the regular roommates system on apartment lots (EA blocked this).

There's 2 way to have apartments: Late Night style apartments that you purchase and University style that you rent. I actually have combined them both: set the lot type to "apartment" and then built a unit with the public/hidden room markers. I made 2 furnished apartments, and then 4 "hidden" ones using the markers. The hidden apartments can be made to be NPC apartments but Shift+Ctrl+Clicking on a door in buy mode and click "Make NPC door". NPCs will live there, come and go as they please. You can also ring the bell on these doors and they will come out and be interact-able.

The furnished apartment you could fill with your desired number of roommates by enabling roommates from the phone, choosing the number you want, then locking the doors appropriately. Example: you have 2 Sims in your own family, and you enable 3 roommates. You lock the door on "your" apartment so only your 2 Sims can enter; then set the other door to allow only the 3 roommates you have. Then you can set individual bed/sleeping preferences. One of the "awkward" things about this type is that fridge inventories are shared. Also, I had some issues with Sims in adjoining apartments trying to use items that they couldn't get to because of locked doors. Example: "my" Sim was cooking and wanted to use the microwave that was in the other apartment, she did not have her own microwave.

If you wanted to play as the "landlord" you could also allow your Sims to enter the "other" apartment so you could fix broken items, clean up, etc.

A problem I'm having with the mod is that when you enable roommates it'll tell you how much rent will be collected from the enabled roommates, but it will never actually collect it. I need to figure out how to do that. That would be good for the "landlord" type thing. Also, as you were saying, if you have multiple furnished apartments you are technically paying for the whole thing in rent; but if you have enabled roommates, they will pay you rent so it should cancel that out. But I have to get that working.

Also, right now "rent" is paid on the apartment lot via a bill that comes weekly; it's supposed to be just automatically deducted. Need to work on that but not sure how.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 5th May 2015 at 1:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
The 8 Sim limit doesn't have anything to do with apartments ... lots have been capped at 8 Sims since the days of TS1.

All this mod does is a.) stop the randomly generated roommates that appear on lots zoned as "apartment" from appearing and b.) lets you use the regular roommates system on apartment lots (EA blocked this).

hm, I think we may be talking about two different things here. I made ages ago, way before uni came out, It was with hidden and public markers on a lot that had close to 20 or perhaps even 30 units. There was NPC families living in all these units, but they were individual units not controlled by me. Then uni was introduced and suddenly I could only make like 8 units, the rest would be empty. I can only have 8 sims living on a lot, but this is number of units on a lot. It was probably a lag heaven with so many people on one lot, may have been the reason for this decition.

Quote:
There's 2 way to have apartments: Late Night style apartments that you purchase and University style that you rent. I actually have combined them both: set the lot type to "apartment" and then built a unit with the public/hidden room markers. I made 2 furnished apartments, and then 4 "hidden" ones using the markers. The hidden apartments can be made to be NPC apartments but Shift+Ctrl+Clicking on a door in buy mode and click "Make NPC door". NPCs will live there, come and go as they please. You can also ring the bell on these doors and they will come out and be interact-able.

The furnished apartment you could fill with your desired number of roommates by enabling roommates from the phone, choosing the number you want, then locking the doors appropriately. Example: you have 2 Sims in your own family, and you enable 3 roommates. You lock the door on "your" apartment so only your 2 Sims can enter; then set the other door to allow only the 3 roommates you have. Then you can set individual bed/sleeping preferences. One of the "awkward" things about this type is that fridge inventories are shared. Also, I had some issues with Sims in adjoining apartments trying to use items that they couldn't get to because of locked doors. Example: "my" Sim was cooking and wanted to use the microwave that was in the other apartment, she did not have her own microwave.

If you wanted to play as the "landlord" you could also allow your Sims to enter the "other" apartment so you could fix broken items, clean up, etc.

Interesting ideas, I can see this very often used scenario of a big building where most apartments are owned by hidden markers NPC's. 1 active apartment being devided into a unit with smaller rooms, where they share common room and the kitchen. The NPC's here will then come into the downloaders game and choose one of the available rooms to live in, while the active sim has one room. I will then furnish all those rooms in the bigger unit for a group of like say 5 or 6 students or something, and they will pay rent for each unit to a landlord. Have I got this right then?

Quote:
A problem I'm having with the mod is that when you enable roommates it'll tell you how much rent will be collected from the enabled roommates, but it will never actually collect it. I need to figure out how to do that. That would be good for the "landlord" type thing. Also, as you were saying, if you have multiple furnished apartments you are technically paying for the whole thing in rent; but if you have enabled roommates, they will pay you rent so it should cancel that out. But I have to get that working.
Also, right now "rent" is paid on the apartment lot via a bill that comes weekly; it's supposed to be just automatically deducted. Need to work on that but not sure how.

I hope you can make it work, there is quite a few people out there asking for adaptations to the uni system, I just didn't quite get the grib of it. I will think a bit more about it and perhaps be back with something for this mod then thanks.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th May 2015 at 2:03 AM
Well, the scenario you describe as a boarding house type thing is possible as a Regular residential lot ... That's how I would do it anyway since you as the landlord would want to OWN the building. If you simply wanted to rent it, then this mod would come in handy. Also I think if you wanted your situation, you would move your Sim in first and then enable the roommates; I don't think it will work the other way around because there is no way of knowing if the unit was empty.

Help would be nice! Use ILSpy to look at the RoommateManager, that's where I got most of the code from. There's code in there about rent collection that I wasn't sure how to tweak.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 5th May 2015 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pjsutton
Well, the scenario you describe as a boarding house type thing is possible as a Regular residential lot ... That's how I would do it anyway since you as the landlord would want to OWN the building. If you simply wanted to rent it, then this mod would come in handy. Also I think if you wanted your situation, you would move your Sim in first and then enable the roommates; I don't think it will work the other way around because there is no way of knowing if the unit was empty.

Help would be nice! Use ILSpy to look at the RoommateManager, that's where I got most of the code from. There's code in there about rent collection that I wasn't sure how to tweak.

I'm thinking the downloader would then be interested in just renting a room in one of that houses apartments, and share it with other tenants. You know I'm thinking of myself as filling a market need here. The market for some reason wants cheap housing in apartments for their sims, so I'm trying to provide. They will then need this mod to make that happen probably. I will have to test it, so I will have time to see for myself, should be interesting. Thank you for your help in clearing it up
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th May 2015 at 3:11 AM
I'm thinking the downloader would then be interested in just renting a room in one of that houses apartments, and share it with other tenants. You know I'm thinking of myself as filling a market need here. The market for some reason wants cheap housing in apartments for their sims, so I'm trying to provide. They will then need this mod to make that happen probably. I will have to test it, so I will have time to see for myself, should be interesting. Thank you for your help in clearing it up

Yes, I want affordable, nice housing for my starter Sims!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 6th May 2015 at 9:52 AM
hello might you to do a mods where the partners of house were not going out so much to the door?. Thank you very much
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#14 Old 6th May 2015 at 11:07 AM
Thanks for this.I was wanting a way to have the UL apartment zoned lots in my world for poor sims.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th May 2015 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Davidzin
hello might you to do a mods where the partners of house were not going out so much to the door?. Thank you very much

You mean so the roommates wouldn't leave on their own? That's a function of Story Progression, and without disabling SP altogether, I don't see how that would work.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th May 2015 at 7:52 AM
I've tried loading this and testing in Sunset Valley using a local household to move into the UL apartment zoned lot and had to call up roommate services to disable the roommates and still have no roommates showing up and can get them by using edit town to add another single sim to the household if I want him to get a roommate.I've also got 88 NRaas Mod files including story progression from NRaas.I've not had any issues beside having to stop to disable roommates from his smart phone.
I took the time to back up my Sims 3 folder before the testing in case it didn't work.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th May 2015 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I've tried loading this and testing in Sunset Valley using a local household to move into the UL apartment zoned lot and had to call up roommate services to disable the roommates and still have no roommates showing up and can get them by using edit town to add another single sim to the household if I want him to get a roommate.I've also got 88 NRaas Mod files including story progression from NRaas.I've not had any issues beside having to stop to disable roommates from his smart phone.
I took the time to back up my Sims 3 folder before the testing in case it didn't work.

I'm confused what you are saying ... is it working or is it not working? It sounds to me like you were able to disable the roommates, but you couldn't get another one to be added?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th May 2015 at 8:16 AM
I just couldn't because I didn't have enough room in the test house because it's a very small house and the roommate system was glitched in the UL apatments.The only issues are having to disable the roommates before midnight because it's enabled by default and needs to be disabled right away if you're not looking for a house full of roommates.I just add playable sims if I want any roommates anyways and they can be told to get a job and the money is shared.
The issues adding roommates are only there if the house rezoned is very small and it looks like you'll need NRaas story progression to reduce resident limits or you'll get crammed full of unwanted roommates.I've had Kristy Steel living in the rental for four days and still not had any roommates added though that might change because of a baby.
I didn't test with the other story progression Mod because I only use the NRaas version in the collection of 88 NRaas Mod files I've got installed and there's no crashing or lagging unless you've got stuck sims or stuck pets.
dodgy builder
#19 Old 8th May 2015 at 3:03 PM
I just couldn't because I didn't have enough room in the test house because it's a very small house and the roommate system was glitched in the UL apatments.The only issues are having to disable the roommates before midnight because it's enabled by default and needs to be disabled right away if you're not looking for a house full of roommates.I just add playable sims if I want any roommates anyways and they can be told to get a job and the money is shared.
The issues adding roommates are only there if the house rezoned is very small and it looks like you'll need NRaas story progression to reduce resident limits or you'll get crammed full of unwanted roommates.I've had Kristy Steel living in the rental for four days and still not had any roommates added though that might change because of a baby.
I didn't test with the other story progression Mod because I only use the NRaas version in the collection of 88 NRaas Mod files I've got installed and there's no crashing or lagging unless you've got stuck sims or stuck pets.

It's a bit difficult to run a testing with tons of mods this perticular modder haven't made. If you want some real testing out of this and some real arguements, I think you need to take those nraas mods out, clear your cache and take them to the test one by one. That way you know if your issues is related to this mod or some of nraas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 8th May 2015 at 4:31 PM
It's a bit difficult to run a testing with tons of mods this perticular modder haven't made. If you want some real testing out of this and some real arguements, I think you need to take those nraas mods out, clear your cache and take them to the test one by one. That way you know if your issues is related to this mod or some of nraas.

Good point, BUT tons of people use NRaas SP so I'm glad he's got it working that way!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th May 2015 at 4:34 PM

Isn't it giving you the ability to choose the number of roommates? I actually think now it is default to be disabled? I should test this out more on a "clean" apartment lot. Though, with the alteration to the SP "AddRoommate" script, it shouldn't add roommates that are part of your household even if you forget to disable.

Isn't it giving you the option to enable roommates and then choose how many you want? It should let you chose anywhere from 1 up to "8 - currenthouseholdsize"
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 12th May 2015 at 11:20 PM
Anyone experiencing any major bugs? I might try to get the "roommate rent" thing working soon...
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th May 2015 at 6:35 AM
I just don't put NPC roommates in though the rest of the Mod works and I've been running with NRaas for a while.I also found out that the best way to remove the UL apartment zoning is to change to regular residential before switching to no visitors allowed community lot and it reoloads as a community lot.Everybody was always trying to keep it residential and just convert it back to a regular home.I like the idea of the roommates being fixed better though it was enough for me if I made sure to get the sim to cancel roommates on moving in.I'll get roommates from the family library in edit town and get them that way because they can be told to get a job and are controllable.
dodgy builder
#24 Old 16th May 2015 at 11:24 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 16th May 2015 at 6:59 PM.
sorry for mingling into someone elses stuff. I just know how it can be always being confronted by someone who hasn't done their homework before posting. I have gone in a complete loop on my world download quite a few times, just to discover they haven't even read my description

I'm ready to test this now. I usually make my hidden and public marker lots with a tiny little fix by Buzzler, but I think Il'm going to to try the EA way this time, should be interesting

Ok. I have some issues here. I have uni installed and made the lot apartment building. I have quite a few hidden NPC flats as well.
Mods installed: treeag, buydebug and testingcheats on all time, is that a problem? pokeytax, nofullmoonlightingeffects.

This is the apartment. It has 8 beds and my Una has claimed one of them for her self. When I activated it I was told they would arrive at 9, they probably arrived at 1 or 2 at night, and I had 3 roommates randomly generated. I know all the characters in this world because I made it myself, and they are none of mine. I had then 4 roommates I needed to control and they followed my sim to a cafe lot.

I then tried to add another roommate of my choice to the flat, but clicking on sim or on the interphase phone realestate menu didn't give me the add roommate option. After trying to friend a guy still no success. Then I clicked on one of the beds to select ownership of that bed, and suddenly I had 8 people to choose from, that probably means I really have 8 roommates doesn't it? Clicking on the roommate piemenu in realestate again I see I can only choose 1, 2 or 3 and 4 is the current max roommates. There is something that isn't quite consistant here.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 16th May 2015 at 8:37 PM
sorry for mingling into someone elses stuff. I just know how it can be always being confronted by someone who hasn't done their homework before posting. I have gone in a complete loop on my world download quite a few times, just to discover they haven't even read my description

I'm ready to test this now. I usually make my hidden and public marker lots with a tiny little fix by Buzzler, but I think Il'm going to to try the EA way this time, should be interesting

Ok. I have some issues here. I have uni installed and made the lot apartment building. I have quite a few hidden NPC flats as well.
Mods installed: treeag, buydebug and testingcheats on all time, is that a problem? pokeytax, nofullmoonlightingeffects.

This is the apartment. It has 8 beds and my Una has claimed one of them for her self. When I activated it I was told they would arrive at 9, they probably arrived at 1 or 2 at night, and I had 3 roommates randomly generated. I know all the characters in this world because I made it myself, and they are none of mine. I had then 4 roommates I needed to control and they followed my sim to a cafe lot.

I then tried to add another roommate of my choice to the flat, but clicking on sim or on the interphase phone realestate menu didn't give me the add roommate option. After trying to friend a guy still no success. Then I clicked on one of the beds to select ownership of that bed, and suddenly I had 8 people to choose from, that probably means I really have 8 roommates doesn't it? Clicking on the roommate piemenu in realestate again I see I can only choose 1, 2 or 3 and 4 is the current max roommates. There is something that isn't quite consistant here.

Hm, interesting. What world are you doing this in? Try changing the active household then coming back in ... that is interesting. Do you have a mod that changes story progression? Because that's what makes the roommates appear, a push from SP around 1-2 am.
Page 1 of 10