Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Cardinal Community Apartments ~ Married Student Housing

by CatherineTCJD Posted 23rd Oct 2015 at 8:20 PM - Updated 5th Mar 2018 at 4:59 PM by CatherineTCJD

33 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 13 Feedback Posts, 19 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
THANKS POST
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 9:09 PM
This looks very interesting. I am looking forward to having a sim couple move in. Can this lot work in a university neighborhood? Is it zoned as a dorm? I am curious where it would work best to play it.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator THANKS POST
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 9:54 PM
These look lovely, Cat, thank you
Theorist
THANKS POST
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 10:35 PM
I love detailed little communities like these! So much work to build but they're a lot of fun to play. Thank you for sharing.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 11:21 PM
@atymer - it's not zoned as a dorm. It is zoned for apartments. If you'd rather play it as a dorm, you'd have to add a common eating area with the Uni stove.

Thanks everyone! Woot! And a star too Yay - it's been a while!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Scholar
THANKS POST
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2015 at 11:32 PM
excellent job!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#7 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 12:11 AM
Really neat little download! Clever concept and design. You did such a nice job. =)

Do apartments function in the University setting? If you place it in your Univ hood, will it function as on-campus apartment housing, and include all the aspects of Univ life? ...or does it require extensive use of player imagination to function in a campus environment?

thx!

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#8 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 12:40 AM
Nice! Very much like some of the apartments near campus at my school!

And I'm definitely gonna have to steal those over-the-bar kitchen shelves!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 12:58 AM
Love this lot!
Theorist
THANKS POST
#10 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 3:18 AM
I don't download lots, but just wanted to say that this is such a wonderful idea (the apartments looks fantastic) and I love the story behind it. Really made me smile.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 8:49 AM
Love everything about these apartments. I often build self contained houses and zone them as apartments. I love the interaction with the neighbors when you unlock your front door. Thanks.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 10:53 AM
I want to live here!!
Beautiful thank you!!
Love, SFR99
The Pathfinder
retired moderator
#13 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 12:40 PM
Great work.....makes me want to live in an apartment like those :D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#14 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 1:09 PM
These are absolutely beautiful, I especially like the way you built the shelves, very creative!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 6:00 PM
Awwww - @Jawusa - {{{hugs}}} Things are gonna start lookin' up for you I just know it {{{hugs}}}

WOW! Thank you for all the comments all ya'll! :lovestruc You really know how to brighten my day!

In response to some of the function/usable-in-Uni questions...
According to http://www.simechoes.org/
Quote:
Making apartments in University Areas

You can build apartments and even convert existing residences to apartments or true rental houses. BUT

Apartment living, especially for a student with no income other than scholarships, is expensive.
Roomies and other tenants will be members of the social groups, not fellow students.
Place an apartment in another neighborhood, change the lot zoning [sic: to Dormitory], then move it to the Lot Bin. Then it should appear in the Lot Bin on campus. Place it as usual and change lot zoning to apartment.

Now... I'm primarily a builder (not a player) ...but I think, besides doing what is quoted above, I think you'll also need to provide a common area kitchen (with the Uni stove that generates the NPC cook) and you may also have to change out the Apartment doors for the Uni Myne doors.

If someone can confirm that - before I get around to it *sigh* - that would be awesome! And I will update the post accordingly Thanks!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#16 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 7:20 PM
Fabulous work Cat, it looks very true to life! I love your little idea of the shelves between the walls in the kitchens!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator THANKS POST
#17 Old 24th Oct 2015 at 10:08 PM
@CatherineTCJD
It's possible to have apartment lots in universities.
It doesn't work by default but there's a mod that makes it possible.

Here's the mod I'm talking about.
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
[...]8. Apartments made functional in universities: YAs can now rent apartments and generated NPC apartment neighbors will spawn as YAs and go to class.[...]
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#18 Old 26th Oct 2015 at 1:06 PM
Sweet lot and story. My hubby and I were college sweethearts too, back in the 80's. We would have liked these apartments.
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#19 Old 26th Oct 2015 at 3:11 PM
Beautiful job, but what I love best is the true story of CatherineTCJD! Apartments are so daunting, but I think recreating real life is highly motivating.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Oct 2015 at 5:12 PM
:lovestruc *blush* ...thanks ya'll

and Vintage Stuffeths
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator THANKS POST
#21 Old 28th Oct 2015 at 3:00 AM
I love these! I don't need married student housing, but I do need more cheap rentals in my main hood for my returning college grads!
Mad Poster
#22 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
@CatherineTCJD
It's possible to have apartment lots in universities.
It doesn't work by default but there's a mod that makes it possible.

Here's the mod I'm talking about.

If anyone is "watching" please reply:
I thought in uni ALL the non-dorm houses act like rentals - sort of. If you build or place a house in uni, it can't be BOUGHT, but when students move in the "apartment" process of meeting the landlord doesn't happen, and the doors are not "apartment". So they are like EXPENSIVE rentals. So the "cost" listed here is confusing. But I would think this download is coded "residential" and COULD be put in a regular hood; but if placed in a uni hood, it will be a "college rental".
CORRECT???

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 5:43 PM
Hmmm - I don't know... I haven't played Uni this way (I just tried it once, long ago, with a dorm-sim) *sigh*
This was actually built for a regular hood - with apartment doors. So it should function as a regular apartment complex. It is zoned as Apartments.
Sorry, I don't know how the apartment thing works in a Uni hood. @Jawusa - can you shed any more light on this?

and Vintage Stuffeths
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#24 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 5:47 PM
I think you'll need to install that mod, I was linking to, and then it should be usable in universities.
But I have never tried this out myself. So I can't really tell.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 12:17 PM
I've installed it and it's great and everything but the wallpapers don't seem to work, either then that I love it
Page 1 of 2