Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Felicity Island

by topp Posted 5th Apr 2016 at 11:06 PM - Updated 13th Jan 2023 at 8:40 PM by topp : (2023/01/13) optional CC; (2021/07/11) Updated versions by Adrime

108 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 70 Feedback Posts, 37 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 11:14 PM
This is absolutely fabulous! I'm looking forward to trying out Felicity Island, thank you very much for all your hard work with it
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 11:23 PM
Wow, awesome, love the no roads feature. Can't image the hours you put in this. Thank you. :)
Theorist
#4 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 11:50 PM
Absolutely gorgeous. The lack of roads, judicious use of CC and your attention to detail really makes this neighborhood something special. Well done and thank you for sharing.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#5 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 12:28 AM
Yay! I'm so glad that you've managed to upload this! :-) I had a great time play-testing it, it's an amazing neighbourhood! :-D

And thank you for adding extra residential lots to the 'hood after I asked for them whilst I was play-testing :-)
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#6 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 1:18 AM
Really REAlly beautiful job well done
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 1:26 AM
Wow.

I know this upload deserves better than just wow, but I'm speechless right now. We'll pretend that it's the ESL problem, mkay? Not that my jaw is still dropped and my mind is still frozen as a side effect of your pictures .

Seriously though, I've seen so many unbelievably beautiful worlds for TS3, but I've never thought something like this was possible in TS2. Just proves how much this game was ahead of it's time, how customizable, versatile and innovative it could still be, and what jewels it still hides in it's community. Creativity at it's finest.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 8:07 AM
OMG, it's beautiful!!!
Field Researcher
#9 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 11:55 AM
I managed to collect all content required (or at least I think I got it all) and briefly tested this little gem of yours, @DJ. Pictures didn't trick me, it IS gorgeous! :lovestruc It is really well thought out; I can see why you decided to leave the roads out. That was a wonderful touch, it adds so much to the general coastal atmosphere and the simplicity of the castaway life. The thing I like the most is how wonderfully painted the terrain is, how rich the flora looks, and how clever the villages are detached. I'm also very pleased with the collection of CC you used. I don't mind the amount of it, since it is strictly thematic and I will use it only in this save where I have your hood installed. So in this case, comprehensive specialized CC collection is welcomed. It made the hood unique, and completely renewed gameplay possibilities. I think this is a first TS2 custom neighborhood I downloaded and the first I'm planning to play in. But, I encountered a few problems, or, better say, annoyances that are impudently spoiling your perfection:

1) I can't seem to achieve the general atmosphere from your screenshots in it's entirety. I still get the default light-green terrain around the lot and that ugly default bright texture-less sky. It really bugs me, especially on the edges of a lot where the terrain paint roughly stops. I can't stop looking at that line. Have I maybe missed a piece of default CC replacement, or a mod (that would allow me to have seemingly continuous view of your thoughtfully painted and sculpted terrain)? To illustrate what I mean, here is an example of the difference between mine and your ingame lot view:

2) The camera mod I downloaded does this:

Have I downloaded the wrong one, and if I haven't, is there a way to alter some values and restrict the camera movement? That's a smaller problem though, since I don't spend much time in neighborhood view, but the thought of Simmies cherishing the-world-is-a-flat-plane concept, can break the immersion a little I guess.

That's all for now. And once again thank you SO MUCH for sharing this.
Screenshots
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 1:06 PM
Thanks so much for all the kind words, guys!

MystAngel, regarding your first issue; you need to make changes to lot view options found under game settings. Set the settings as following:
View distance: XL
Lots: On
Deco: On
Clickable lots: Off
Fade distance: Off

To get rid of "just seeing green grass around," you need to have lots on; to get the globe to show up, deco needs to be on, and FD needs to be off. FD works in a way of removing objects which are close to the camera. Since the globe is always close to the camera, any other setting will make the globe disappear.

The second problem you state is not that much of a problem; quite the contrary, it's a feature. Since some of the lots are placed relatively close to the world's edge, using Maxis' camera makes it impossible to display them.
GunMod's camera mod is not the only one which works with this island! You are free to explore MTS and the internet to find the camera config you like.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#11 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 1:10 PM
Thank you so much for this great, adorable neighbourhood. It's really absolute stunning, and I would love it to start playing with it as soon as possible. But before doing so, I've got a few questions:

1. Referring to MystAngel, I've got the same problem with the lot view and the camera mod. But his is a minor problem respectively a neglectable point.

2. The bigger problem are some residential lots. On some of them you erected houses, and they are absolutely ok. On other residential lots, there a no "real" buildings but only "painted" ones. They disappear as soon as you zoom in, but return when you zoom out. It looks quite strange when you try to "overbuild" them, and it is also not possible to use them as a kind of pattern for your own houses, because you can't build a foundation where they are placed, only walls. Do I have to bulldoze these lots before I can use them)

3. Some of these painted houses go from one lot over to the surrounding area. What happend to them when I bulldoze the respective lots?

I do not want to make any changes to this wonderful neighbourhood without your advice in advance.

By the way, I also got all your adviced and recommended downloads, but it is REALLY annoying to get the ones by BOX, because in most cases you can only get them by using a special trick.

I'm really looking forward to your help!
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 1:48 PM
Brittama - they're deco huts! As in, neighborhood decorations!

Go in neighborhood view, select Decorations, and pick them up and delete them. You can then proceed to build on lots.

I placed them over empty lots to "fill in the gaps." They're purely decorative; there's nothing wrong with deleting the deco. What you SHOULDN'T do it bulldozing lots, because you won't be able to place new lots down because of the lack of roads.

As for the BOX downloads, I'll take a look into it. I can't promise anything, but if the creators allow me to include their stuff here, I'll do it, otherwise the only solution is to follow the workaround, which I think you're aware of. If not, I can link to it.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#13 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 2:37 PM
Thank you so much for your quick help, DJ. I didn't think it's possible to remove the "fake-houses" in neighbourhood-decoration modus. I'm really happy I can start to play now due to you helpfulness :-))
Finally, I'm really looking forwards to your next works. Thank you again!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 10:01 PM Last edited by MystAngel : 6th Apr 2016 at 10:14 PM.
I second BrittaMA, you were really helpful to me too. The only thing I still didn't succeed is to fix is the absence of custom sky in lot view (even though I turned Deco on, and Fade Distance off). I'll look into it more carefully, maybe I missed something. I'm obviously not that experienced with TS2 customization; every day I find out how much I still have to learn and how much of what I'd known before I have forgotten.

About camera mod... I found this one by Tom Duhamel A LOT more to my liking. It's still not perfect (the sea edges are still noticeable, so I'll keep looking), but it is a lot less extreme while zooming, with playability and flexibility still intact. So that'll be my current recommendation for those who share my taste.

I'm looking forward to your populated version; untill then, I'll have fun building on empty lots and personalizing the finished ones. Anyway, this goes straight to my Favorites.
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 10:13 PM
I can't download mods from box. Could someone tell me what this "trick" to get them is?
Field Researcher
#16 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 10:27 PM
This is how I did it:

- Copy the box download link
- Open Chrome
- Click "Open Incognito window" (option right below "New Tab" and "New Window")
- Paste the box download link
- Alter the url address with adding m. right before app.box and choose the new address
- The Download button will appear
Test Subject
#17 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 10:54 PM
Thanks! worked perfectly.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 11:49 PM
This is great! is it meant to be a vacation destination or an actual neighborhood?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#19 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 11:56 PM
This is quite nice! Thank you.
As I already have a tropical island hood, this would be redundant. However, should you decide to make a Shopping District version, I'll be all over this thing like white on rice. ;-)
Theorist
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 8:05 AM
Okiedokieihooked - this is a neighborhood. One of the upcoming versions will be a tropical vacation destination.

Herrburgermeister - I'm not planning on making this a shopping district. However, there's a tutorial you can follow if you find spare time to make this island a shopping district (suburb) yourself.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#21 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 2:22 PM
I have been wanting this since playing Sims Castaway! Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 3:27 PM
thanks! This is so great!! It is something that will fit perfect in my vision for my uberhood I love it ! Those of you who are able to create are just so talented! Im always looking but this is my first comment - this is breath taking!
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 7th Apr 2016 at 7:19 PM
I really want to have this town. I mannaged to download most of the CC that is in the description, but there is no way to download certain items:

Bonfire from Sunni at Plumbob keep

Castaway Utility Clutter from Delonariel

Rat Race set from CrabOfDoom

EDIT:
I'm a dumy! Thanks @MystAngel !
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 8:05 PM
This looks absolutely amazing. I'm sure there's lots of hard work involved. Great job. Just one constructive question/point. Any time I've played roadless lots before, I cannot get the Sim to come back onto the lot properly when they return from their job. It makes the lot unplayable if the sim is the only one resident on the lot. Using the "walk to work" and "walk to lot" options I can get them to work and to/from community lots. Just wondering if the creator or play testers encountered this and how it was overcome?
Theorist
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 8:35 PM
Scoopster, I've playtested I believe all residential and community lots for regular cars, but I haven't tested it for bigger vehicles, such as choppers or buses, although I think those vehicles should appear as well.

If your Sims do happen to be stuck off-world like this (or the carpool for a certain career track doesn't show up), try placing down the Portal Revealer by Inge Jones, and making a big flat area around the "Portal - Car Start" and "Portal - Car Stop" objects once they appear (you should see them as square yellow boxes with a red arrow). Don't worry if you can only see one of the boxes mentioned above; I've usually placed them one over the other to save up on space.

If you do encounter such scenarios with Sims/vehicles not appearing, please be kind enough to report back the lot(s) in question.
Page 1 of 5