Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#26 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 10:48 PM
@reshaaa
I'm still messing about with different shaders and settings, haven't landed on a setup I like yet. Those images aren't very good because I had just started using it and thought it was too cool not to stop and write a tutorial about it. I think in those images I had dither, SMAA (I find FXAA to be better because it doesn't blur text as much though), vibrance, lumasharpen and depth of field.
Blurriness is due to depth of field.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 3rd Jul 2016 at 11:08 PM
Okay, so I applied those changes, but when I hit 'confirm', no words popped up. (I restarted my game) So I reopened he ReShade, and every time I open it, these yellow words keep popping up, I think this is why depth isn't working. Do you know what I can do to fix it?
Instructor
Original Poster
#28 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 12:06 AM
You used the wrong executable to make a profile. You need to select TS3W.exe when making a profile. Also make sure that the profile and preset are actually selected. They should be highlighted in orange.
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 1:55 AM
More unedited pics

@luvbuggsme16 I don't know what to tell you... At this point I've no idea and you're best off asking for help the ReShade forum.
Test Subject
#30 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 9:20 AM Last edited by mimisapje : 4th Jul 2016 at 11:47 AM.
Hi, sorry to be bothering again
I tried the direct X end-users but no success with that.
I did some research on my own, and it could be that some other program is interferring by using DLL files that the Reshade need, but I'm not really sure.
Is it possible to post your d3d9.log file here, so I can compare it with mine and see where it goes wrong exactly?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I googled one of the errors I got in the log file (error 0x887a0004) and this is what i got 'The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.'
So I guess my graphic cards, doesn't support the reshade

Re-edit: Reshade works for my other games, but they use other versions of Direct X. The problems lies with my Nvidia graphic card. As I have a dedicated and integrated one, the reshade only works with my integrated one.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#31 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mimisapje
Hi, sorry to be bothering again
I tried the direct X end-users but no success with that.
I did some research on my own, and it could be that some other program is interferring by using DLL files that the Reshade need, but I'm not really sure.
Is it possible to post your d3d9.log file here, so I can compare it with mine and see where it goes wrong exactly?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I googled one of the errors I got in the log file (error 0x887a0004) and this is what i got 'The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.'
So I guess my graphic cards, doesn't support the reshade

Re-edit: Reshade works for my other games, but they use other versions of Direct X.

Not sure if this is the case, but are you using Windows 10? I know it isn't really compatible with directx9, 10, 11. Only 12. And I have no idea if this program is compatible with directx12. Might be wrong though. Have you updated your drivers? Maybe that might work out as well. When it comes to Direct X and it's errors, it's just like TSRWs and it's errors. You have no idea what they really mean XD
Test Subject
#32 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 12:32 PM Last edited by mimisapje : 4th Jul 2016 at 12:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Not sure if this is the case, but are you using Windows 10? I know it isn't really compatible with directx9, 10, 11. Only 12. And I have no idea if this program is compatible with directx12. Might be wrong though. Have you updated your drivers? Maybe that might work out as well. When it comes to Direct X and it's errors, it's just like TSRWs and it's errors. You have no idea what they really mean XD

Unfortunately I do have win10 ( I knew installing that would give me troubles) I have updated all my drivers and fiddled in my register. But nothing changes
The game & reshade works with me integrated card, just not with my dedicated. While my other games (like Saints row IV) can run with the dedicated card & use reshade.
Sweet fx works, but reshade does not
I tried running my game in compatibility mode, but also no luck with that.

It's so frustrating to see all those beautiful pics and not being able to do it yourself

@HarVee
If it doesn't work with direct x 12 why do other win10 users with dx12 have no troubles with Reshade?
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 1:24 PM Last edited by alverdine : 4th Jul 2016 at 2:39 PM.
@mimisapje
I've got Windows 10 and DirectX 12 but I also have an AMD card, not NVIDIA. Other people have told me it only wants to work on their integrated card instead of their dedicated NVIDIA card, but they can use it in other games with their NVIDIA card. So possibly a driver issue makes it incompatible with TS3?
Check what version your driver is and compare it with other people's NVIDIA drivers who either have or haven't gotten it to work. Maybe you need to revert to an older version?

@harvee
That's why you need DirectX End-User Runtime installed if you have DirectX 12. It contains the missing files from older versions of DirectX that ReShade requires to run.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#34 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alverdine
@mimisapje
I've got Windows 10 and DirectX 12 but I also have an AMD card, not NVIDIA. Other people have told me it only wants to work on their integrated card instead of their Dedicated NVIDIA card, but they can use it in other games with their NVIDIA card. So possibly a driver issue makes it incompatible with TS3?
Check what version your driver is and compare it with other people's NVIDIA drivers who either have or haven't gotten it to work. Maybe you need to revert to an older version?

@harvee
That's why you need DirectX End-User Runtime installed if you have DirectX 12. It contains the missing files from older versions of DirectX that ReShade requires to run.

I know NVIDIA has this inbuild 'game changing' effects and all, and maybe it's interfereing with what Reshade is using. Like, NVIDIA using the same files like Reshade and since Reshade is just a program and NVIDIA sort of gets all the access to things, Reshade can't use the files because NVIdia is using them? I could be thinking the wrong way though, but it might be possible.
Test Subject
#35 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 4:03 PM Last edited by mimisapje : 4th Jul 2016 at 4:13 PM.
I asked around and the people who can make it run on a laptop with 2 graphic cards (1 nvidia) and win10 installed are all playing the game on the integrated, and didn't know they used that one.
So I'm guessing it's indeed an nvidia problem. Rolling back to on older version ( i tried one from august 2015) changes nothing unfortuntaly

Desktop people with an nvidia card don't have any troubles, so I'm not sure if the settings are interferring with eachother. I turned off all the effects that I could turn off and selected the options where i could where the program itself decides on the settings, but nothing changes. I also have no idea what the difference is on how nvidia & AMD dedicated cards work.

My friend made another topic on the reshade forum, explaining the specific problem and the available solutions we've tried

For now, I'm gonna let it rest, if I really want reshade pictures, I'll have to let my pc suffer for a bit and run the game on my integrated one.
Instructor
Original Poster
#36 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 4:44 PM
Well it's good that we've at least narrowed down the problem. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.
TBH I actually feel guilty because it doesn't work for so many people, and they just have to sit back and watch all the pretty pictures fly by on Tumblr

Lol yes please give it a rest for now - don't stress over it! Another thing to keep in mind is that no one has released any presets for TS3 yet, so if you DID get it working it would still require lots of fiddling with settings to get a good result and that itself can be headache inducing.
Test Subject
#37 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 10:28 PM
I may have found an temporary alternative for the people who can't get it to work.
The issue I have lies with the d3d9.dll file from reshade not being 'compatible' with Nvidia dedicated graphics cards.
So my thought process was, 'What if I used a d3d9.dll file from another program, like the ENB Series?'
I installed the ENB injector and that works, it gives less options than the reshade but at least you can change a few settings, and make the game nicer to look at.
ENB is like a less advanced version of Reshade, and you have to do set the settings manually which can be very frustrating, but a lot of other people have made ENB presets, for example Skyrim, where you just have to replace the enbseries.ini file
For the moment I'm still experimenting and trying to add more features, so it can be a good alternative for reshade. If you want, I'll update on the progress.

Ps. Turns out I really can't relax, when it involves troubleshooting and experimenting :p
& don't feel guilty, you couldn't have known what issues it could cause and besides that with every program that gets released there will always be some issues for some users.
Instructor
Original Poster
#38 Old 4th Jul 2016 at 11:12 PM
@HarVee
This is true.
And lol, you could still release it as "Shitty Monitor Preset"... or something.

@mimisapje
Neat! I've used ENBs in Skyrim but never bothered to modify any settings. You can also ignore ReShade's assistant app and do the editing manually, but I find the app convenient. Yes, keep us updated. That will be really useful info for others who can't get it to work.
The ENB injector does depth of field and stuff for TS3 like it does in Skyrim, right?
Instructor
Original Poster
#39 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 12:03 AM
"Damn that's one shitty monitor!" They will all say.
But no it looks good, what shaders/settings did you use?
Instructor
Original Poster
#40 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 1:22 AM
Nice. I enjoy the desaturation a lot. Do you actually notice any difference from dither? I can't see any, maybe I'm blind.
Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 2:17 AM Last edited by alverdine : 5th Jul 2016 at 5:41 AM.
Some more examples of ReShade. All pics are completely unedited except for resizing.

Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 4:29 AM
It's Dronningslund by the very talented fagersims
The lots are very large and tightly packed though, so I don't really play in it.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 4:14 PM
@alverdine, I gave the whole thing a shot. It's rather good.

Bridgeport last night, before ReShade:

Then suddenly, this morning...

HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

FUCK ME

MOTHER OF SHIT EATING GOBLINS

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Inventor
#44 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 4:21 PM
I don't like the fact that it affects the UI as well. Just look at Pi's last picture. If that happened to me while playing the game, I'd be swearing left and right. I guess that for simmers who like to take very artsy pictures this is great, but for me that I like to play and maybe take 2 or 3 pictures this is just unnecessary. Depth of field is the one effect I don't like most of the time.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
How do you deal with blurry UI? That seems like it would be intrusive.

The focal point follows the cursor - the UI becomes sharper when I mouse over it. I also have a hotkey to disable the blur when the UI is being a little weird - in some circumstances it's very blurry, but thankfully the effect instantaneously comes and goes when I toggle it.

Of course, the downside of binding the focus to the cursor is that it doesn't work in the free camera mode - that is, unless there's a way to move the mouse without moving the camera.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#46 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 4:38 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 9th Jul 2016 at 7:00 AM.
Hmm, strange. I was able to load up Reshade ingame, but the effects aren't working regardless of what I do. And yes I am running on a desktop with a G3258 and a GeForce GTX 750.

Also, the reason why ReShade blurs out the UI is because the tool draws its stuff right after the UI is rendered. A bespoke version that hooks deeply into the game process (like a GTA-style .ASI mod) rather than just a generic injector which happens to have access to the Z-buffer would be even more golden.
Instructor
Original Poster
#47 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 8:39 AM
Cool, looks awesome! Bridgeport would look nice with bokeh DoF at night, too.

Yeah I wouldn't attempt to play with effects that mess with the UI. It's so easy to toggle them or switch between presets when you're taking pics though. ATM I'm trying to make a nice preset to use for constant gameplay with sharpening, debanding, AO, desaturation but extra vibrance, increased contrast, defog, FXAA and some other tweaks.

blakegriplingph just checking but you've got edge smoothing turned off in-game right? Try using TS3.exe instead of TS3W.exe
Field Researcher
#48 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 11:45 AM
I installed it. I launched my game.
I don't understand anything of it. I doesn't do anything.

Also, where can i find the TS3W.exe file? I didn't find it, so I clicked on another file, hoping it'll be right. Clearly not.
Instructor
Original Poster
#49 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 11:52 AM
Lol. Sorry you're having trouble with it, if there are any particular steps you don't understand and need help with let me know. Sometimes tutorials can seem like they're written in an alien language but I tried my best!

TS3W.exe is wherever you installed TS3 - for most people it's C:/Program Files x86/Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin If you can't find TS3W.exe use TS3.exe instead.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 11:55 AM
Where can i find the TS3W.exe file? I didn't fidn it where I had to find it - I searched in my folder of program files (x86) --> electronic arts --> Sims 3 into the future and didn't find - so I clicked on antoher file, hoping it'll work. I guess that's the problem, but I really can't find any TS3W.exe file.

edit: Oh, I'll search.
Well, I used TS3EP11.exe, and it didn't do anything, while that really is the only file I could possibly need.
Page 2 of 6