Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2017 at 7:14 AM
Will Sims series always follow the same routine?
Will Sims 5, Sims 6, Sims 7 etc all be a copy of their predecessors? Or will there ever come a true restructuring? Not small things like holiday events. But maybe making a game like Witcher3 with an open world, story plot, but have the complexity of a sims character creation and housing and modded furniture? You think EA will ever risk stepping outside of the norm?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th May 2017 at 7:32 AM
as long as EA is in charge it will be

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2017 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LaurellKH
Will Sims 5, Sims 6, Sims 7 etc all be a copy of their predecessors? Or will there ever come a true restructuring? Not small things like holiday events. But maybe making a game like Witcher3 with an open world, story plot, but have the complexity of a sims character creation and housing and modded furniture? You think EA will ever risk stepping outside of the norm?

What are you actually looking for, other than a good game, which we all want? I doubt that sims will last that long, but we have had an open world. Most players like Sims as sandbox but we can do stories as wanted. Some folks did not like WA in 3 as too goal oriented. I love that EP. We can create sims in CAS, can download CC furniture. We can build lots and could make worlds in prior versions. EA has done all you have listed or it has been available, at least to some degree.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th May 2017 at 8:23 AM
I'm not sure to what extent they're willing to branch out and experiment with the franchise, but for now they're just sticking with doing the things that have brought them the most money so far.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2017 at 9:11 AM
Will Sims 5, Sims 6, Sims 7 etc all be a copy of their predecessors? Or will there ever come a true restructuring?

It would be difficult to really do drastic redesigns to the series' core given what the game-play centers around. What more could EA really do with a life simulator that would be considered a drastic overhaul? What more can you do in a series where it's core game-play centers around watching virtual people use the toilet, have sex, get a job, etc?

You think EA will ever risk stepping outside of the norm?

But the biggest logical loophole is that EA is already out of the "norm" with this series. There's no other life simulation on the market with this degree of complexity. They logically can't go out the "norm" if there is no "norm". If that make sense?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th May 2017 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim

Oh give it a rest, if there's anyone EA isn't pressuring it's Sims developers. They only have to come up with a new game once every 5 years.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 30th May 2017 at 10:53 AM
Well, they can experiment. Sims 3 was the overhaul of Sims 2 just as Sims 2 was an overhaul of the original Sims. Both games added something major to the table. Sims 2 added so many things like aspirations, wishes, fears, 3D engine, aging up and genetics. It was such a great step at that time.
Sims 3 still added big things like open world, traits, story progression and CAST, but with the cost of taking out previous great things (aspirations/fears/proper genetics/proper age groups).

At the time Sims 3 was out, there were so many cuts from the previous game that it felt like another game. And it sure was. It allowed greater customisation, but less open ended and more goal oriented gameplay, which was not bad, given the enormous environment they gave us to play in. It focused on another thing, which is exploration and user made detailed stories, less of a game generated ones like it was before.

Now, I don't want to talk about sims 4 as there is many people that already told, heard, like or do not like this talk. My only opinion is that I don't like it, at all. I only hoped it will be closer to Sims 2 and less of a Sims 3 , but it feels loose on both ends for me. And even as it's own game, it still feels empty.

What is EAs next goal for the franchise is out of me. They were full of surprises at the start of the franchise. Somewhere in the middle of Sims 2 era, they dropped the ball, and are now rehashing the same old themes that fans got used to, and some of them even got bored of.
Sims 5 is still on my mind, but that's only a hopeful dream.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th May 2017 at 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
They were full of surprises at the start of the franchise. Somewhere in the middle of Sims 2 era, they dropped the ball, and are now rehashing the same old themes that fans got used to, and some of them even got bored of.
Sims 5 is still on my mind, but that's only a hopeful dream.
If they don't rehash, they get endless complaints.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 30th May 2017 at 11:31 AM
They do not... sticking to the same theme, while improving or trying new things that would enhance that base theme is what means not rehashing. Doing same thing over and over again, with little to no changes is what rehashing is and what they are obviously doing. If they did not know the difference then they could never be called game developers.

What they are doing here is rehashing old things then blaming it on fans that they wanted old content back. It's convenient and esier to them, especially when fans are complaining that EA does not listen to them. We want improved old content back, that's the difference. Also, why can't they do both. Every Sims 3 EP has the old themes but with new things added upon them. And sometimes whole EPs were totally new, like World Adventiures, Island Paradise, Into The Future... and all of them were good adition to what Sims 3 already was.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 30th May 2017 at 11:41 AM
I don't feel confident that there will be another Sims PC game following TS4.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#11 Old 30th May 2017 at 2:43 PM
Just remember a team of people made the sims 4 and let that thing be released. Unless EA is getting a whole new team of people don't expect any drastic changes.
Smeg Head
#12 Old 30th May 2017 at 5:45 PM
I think the early Fable games kind of touched on it. I would have liked to see more in-depth home and family building, and town building, when your Hero wanted to take a break from all that fighting and adventuring. I think it could have really worked. But I'm sure the marketing know-it-alls would say such a game would never work. I don't know. Sims at it's best = brilliant. Fable at it's best = brilliant. It's already proven by the early Fable 1 and 2 the two elements can meld. So why not expand? Where there's a will, there's a.. funeral... No, sorry, there's a way.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Scholar
#13 Old 30th May 2017 at 9:04 PM

I think that's what they were trying to do with The Sims Medieval but it didn't go over too well. It should be dirt cheap at this point if you are interested in that kind of thing.
Theorist
#14 Old 31st May 2017 at 1:21 AM
I think TS4 may have become routine BECAUSE it was out of the norm att. TS4 news was followed closely, which is why fans noticed and made the big list of things that were missing from the then-soon-to-be-released game. So TS4 didn't hit the ground running but released from a compromised position. Maybe they did have different things in mind for expansions, but after whatever their technical disaster was leading to that weakened launch EA became less than confident in what the future held. So now they feel they HAVE to stick to the tried-and-true formula, as well as make the devs take extra steps to "win us back."

And now after typing all that, I may have been not critical enough of EA. But I feel that the team making TS4 had high hopes. The publisher, however, was thinking of milk.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 31st May 2017 at 7:49 AM
Mmmm... milk!
Scholar
#16 Old 31st May 2017 at 8:27 AM
They could make spin off games like simAnt, SimCopter, Sims 2 Castaway etc
But the Maxis who did is gone. EA may create unique spinoff titles but that is unlikely.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 31st May 2017 at 8:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
I think that's what they were trying to do with The Sims Medieval but it didn't go over too well. It should be dirt cheap at this point if you are interested in that kind of thing.

I really liked Medieval overall, but hated that you had to start over each time. Loved the music, the graphics were nice, loved that it has some grit. Best grim reaper done IMO. I should install it again and see what I think now.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 31st May 2017 at 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
They do not... sticking to the same theme, while improving or trying new things that would enhance that base theme is what means not rehashing. Doing same thing over and over again, with little to no changes is what rehashing is and what they are obviously doing. If they did not know the difference then they could never be called game developers.

What they are doing here is rehashing old things then blaming it on fans that they wanted old content back. It's convenient and esier to them, especially when fans are complaining that EA does not listen to them. We want improved old content back, that's the difference. Also, why can't they do both. Every Sims 3 EP has the old themes but with new things added upon them. And sometimes whole EPs were totally new, like World Adventiures, Island Paradise, Into The Future... and all of them were good adition to what Sims 3 already was.

Preach! I can't find literally anything ground breaking and gameplay engaging about the sims 4.

TS2 - Genetics and 3D.
TS3 - Open World.
TS4 - Emotions? Had them. Multitasking? Also essentially had them. You can't even enjoy them properly when they are too much borked.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 12:44 PM
TL;DR - For sims to break routine it will not be coming from EA but another game maker creating their game to have sims-like features.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I really liked Medieval overall, but hated that you had to start over each time. Loved the music, the graphics were nice, loved that it has some grit. Best grim reaper done IMO. I should install it again and see what I think now.

This is the problem with EA (I mean outside of greed but now all game corps are getting as bad with money grabbing). You can change and experiment but you must know your audience and what would be game breaking to them. Medieval failed by restricting camera movement. Or so I was told, I never played.

-

Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
I think the early Fable games kind of touched on it. I would have liked to see more in-depth home and family building, and town building, when your Hero wanted to take a break from all that fighting and adventuring. I think it could have really worked. But I'm sure the marketing know-it-alls would say such a game would never work. I don't know. Sims at it's best = brilliant. Fable at it's best = brilliant. It's already proven by the early Fable 1 and 2 the two elements can meld. So why not expand? Where there's a will, there's a.. funeral... No, sorry, there's a way.

A Fable'isk world would be exactly what this sims series needs to progress. A little zoned content where we could go do some fighting. Why can we never be allowed to battle in the sims series?

-

Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim

I am the one who marked your answer as funny. It was make me choke of my coffee giggle. But you have hit it on the nail. We will never see EA take a big chance and leave the pattern. Will be to frightening to it's financial investors to be allowed. That is where these giant corporations get their money. What we pay them is spent up. They do not have a big bank account for game making. Their big bank is there for the lawyer fees if needed. For the next game they go to the stock markets and get investors backings. What I need to ask is not will EA ever change. What I have to ask is if all the gamemakers NOT EA will try to do something more sims like.

Quote: Originally posted by Anarchy Blues
Oh give it a rest, if there's anyone EA isn't pressuring it's Sims developers. They only have to come up with a new game once every 5 years.

We cannot tell if you are honest or sarcastic. Funny how everyone votes anyway on what they think you might have meant. I did not vote anything myself because there is nothing there to agree or disagree with. It does take game developers much more work than what the community realizes. People should try coding sometime. It is much puzzle solving and why did this break yet again? It is work. Five years seems to short a time to me. But everything moves around me to fast to keep up with. My Nvidia always updating. Microsoft always releasing a new version. I remember when I was impressed to have a Windows_XP and dial up.
Scholar
#20 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 1:25 PM Last edited by pirate_wolf_12 : 14th Jun 2017 at 4:09 AM.
Assuming there will be a Sims 5, yeah, pretty much. "...Open world, story plot, but have the complexity of a sims character creation and housing and modded furniture" is just Skyrim or Fallout 4 with mods. The appeal of the sims is that it's a life simulation game. There is no story plot except for what the player chooses for their sims.

At its core it will always be a life simulator with added architecture and design features. Rather than changing the the game's foundation, the new game should build on and improve existing features: Age groups would be replaced with progressive aging; the build mode features would have more features and allow more intricate designs; we'd be playing larger, dynamic opens worlds, etc.

Edit:
A Fable'isk world would be exactly what this sims series needs to progress. A little zoned content where we could go do some fighting. Why can we never be allowed to battle in the sims series?

Because that's Fable and this is The Sims. Battling? Battling what? Do you play Fable and think "This needs more car jacking like in GTA"?

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 2:53 PM
Okay, seriously. Is Warren Zemo like..haunting the forum? It says he was the last one to post here now too XD

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
#23 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 3:34 PM
Ya got me. Warren Zemo is my alt persona and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling Lil' Bag.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Instructor
#24 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:00 PM Last edited by James009 : 13th Jun 2017 at 9:01 PM. Reason: Title and cool icon.
They tried this once...
So, I really feel like EA stepped outside of their comfort zone and tried something new and unique when they made the Sims Medieval and, unfortunately, it looks like it was a disaster for EA and the franchise. However, the lesson from that would be to LISTEN TO WHAT THE PLAYERS WANT and don't remove most of the main gameplay elements that the players want in the series (like needs, skills, jobs, architecture, and families). They totally had a terrible design setup for Sims Medieval.

You could argue that they've also had some success doing this with Sims Castaway offshoot. I honestly loved Sims Castaway on the Wii it was very fresh and enjoyable; I'd love to see them re-release it on PC with the same gameplay mechanics as the Wii had.
Instructor
#25 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 1:03 AM

Have you played the sims?
Page 1 of 2