Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 2:24 AM
Default Question about Visual Effect
I need to know where the visual effects are located, visual effects llike Read Mind effect from Vampires or the hypnotic gaze effect in the eyes..
What extension they'll be under in S3PE is it _SWB?
Is it possible to see this visual effect in an external tool? If so how?
Is it possible to create your own visual effect? Is there a tutorial?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 6:17 PM
Probably a fog emitter effect:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...ects+Animations

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Probably a fog emitter effect:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...ects+Animations

Thnx, this might be a little out of my league for now tho Do you know where the effects are in Game's root directory?
Theorist
#4 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 7:06 PM
If there's an alternative way to do it, then I don't know about that.
Fog emitters are kinda easy to use though.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 5:44 AM
Ok I'm trying out the fog emitter now. I downloaded this list of special effects which is cool but I'm unable to find the hypnotic gaze effect I found these effect called ep3vampireeyerays and vampireeyerays but they are red not green. I think this effect is from when a sim becomes a vampire where they get this red glowing light in the eyes that's why it's red instead of green. Does anyone know the name of the hypnotic gaze effect?
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 6:50 PM
Ok so I found the vfx name for hypnotic gaze, it's called ep7vampiregaze_main. I tested it with the fog emitter and it's working.
But When I use it in my code it doesn't work but the read mind effect and makesimthinkaboutme effects work in my code.
I've been using this code

VisualEffect effect = VisualEffect.Create("ep3VampireThinkAbout");
effect.ParentTo(base.Target, Sim.FXJoints.Head);
effect.SubmitOneShotEffect(VisualEffect.TransitionType.SoftTransition);

And this code

VisualEffect effect = VisualEffect.Create("ep3VampireReadMindOut");
effect.ParentTo(base.Target, Sim.FXJoints.Head);
effect.SubmitOneShotEffect(VisualEffect.TransitionType.SoftTransition);

These two effects appear fine.

But when I try this code for hypnotic gaze effect it won't work

VisualEffect effect3 = VisualEffect.Create("ep7vampiregaze_main");
effect3.ParentTo(base.Actor, Sim.FXJoints.LeftEye);
effect3.SubmitOneShotEffect(VisualEffect.TransitionType.SoftTransition);

It doesn't work

Using effect3.start() doesn't work either
Does anyone know how do I get this to work?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#7 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 10:30 PM
What happens if you use "HardTransition" instead? so: VisualEffect.TransitionType.HardTransition

It seems like you did the assigning correctly, I think. I wasn't able to find the actual interaction except for a tuning.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 1:44 AM
Hey GreenPlumbob thnx for replying I did try hard transition, I think the reason the effect doesn't appear is because it is tied into the animation (how?) When I recreated the hypnotic gaze interaction by using it's jazz script it was there.

I've managed to create a compel to drink interaction. I've uploaded it here can you guys watch and give me your opinion please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pae...eature=youtu.be

BTW does anyone know how to make better quality videos? EA makes such good ones in their trailers.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 2:32 AM
I know this looks like I'm playing the hypnotic gaze + Drink interaction together but this is one interaction not two, it's the compel to drink interaction where the sim hypnotizes first and then drinks
Virtual gardener
#10 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 10:03 AM
Ahh yeah that makes sense lol and also on why I couldn't find it at first. Though it does make sense. EA usually does this with effects that are linked interactive-wise and happen to be linked with a buff as far as I've seen. The read-mind interaction doens't have a buff if I recall right. I guess the alarmclock is a nice effect reference if you need any

For creating better quality videos, is actually really easy! I mean, you could put the settings to high but that one's still crappy. I actually managed to do it with this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnbzpsB32jA
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 1:04 AM
In this mod http://modthesims.info/d/489366 Sauzer created a red colored read mind and hypnotic gaze visual effect, I wanted to know how he created the red colour Read Mind effect or the red color hypnotic gaze effect. What kind of software/tool/technique did Sauzer use to do this?
Virtual gardener
#12 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 4:02 PM
It seems like they added their own effects. From the looks of it, they cloned the exising effect, and changed the colors. A way to do this is to click the SWB file, then click on GRID, on EffectSelections, click on the 3 dots button, then on ParticleEffectSection, you want to expand items and then Items again, Scroll down to colourDelta and there you go! I'm not entirely sure on how they work, setting wise, but I think the entire thing is pretty much RGBA.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
It seems like they added their own effects. From the looks of it, they cloned the exising effect, and changed the colors. A way to do this is to click the SWB file, then click on GRID, on EffectSelections, click on the 3 dots button, then on ParticleEffectSection, you want to expand items and then Items again, Scroll down to colourDelta and there you go! I'm not entirely sure on how they work, setting wise, but I think the entire thing is pretty much RGBA.

Wow that's really helpful thanks I still have one last problem of where the effects are exactly. I couldn't find any swb effect file anywhere in the game root directory, I found XML, Clip animations, RIG files, but no Swb do you know where these are? Or are all effects stored in 1 SWB??
Virtual gardener
#14 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 7:38 PM
Err sadly I do have to say that they're all stored in one SWB. Fair warning when clicking on it, S3PE has to load it for like 5 minutes, or more to eventually give you the chance to do anything with it (So basically S3PE will freeze because the file is so big!). I think it was in one of the fullbuild packages.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 12:14 AM
Ok I found the effect file in fullbuild0 package but the grid button is greyed out what should I do?
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 1:48 AM
An update: Grid button is greyed out for swb and clip and some others but it works for S3SA so I think perhaps Grid button is not meant for vfx. Are there some other tools that can help me edit the color for a vfx effect?
Virtual gardener
#17 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:39 AM
Lo that's weird, I sucessfully was able to click the grid button whenever I selected a SWB file? I"m not sure if you have S3PE's helpers addons? That one has a effect cloner as well, which might come in handy for you as well.
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:19 PM
Lo that's weird, I sucessfully was able to click the grid button whenever I selected a SWB file? I"m not sure if you have S3PE's helpers addons? That one has a effect cloner as well, which might come in handy for you as well.

Maybe that's it, where can I get the helper add on? How do I install it?
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 12:15 AM Last edited by skydome : 20th Jun 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Ok good news I copy pasted the s3pi resource files from the no effect modder tool to the S3PE folder and I got the grid button working but can you explain to me again how to extract the resource and modify it?
The effect cloner that I downloaded is outdated and won't work for me you know where the latest version at?
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 1:39 AM Last edited by skydome : 20th Jun 2017 at 3:29 AM.
Ok I downloaded the s3pi files from here https://code.google.com/archive/p/s...ppers/downloads
But when I use the integrated effect cloner S3PE crashes for several minutes and then gives this disgusting error
Source: mscorlib
Assembly: mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)

at s3piwrappers.SWB.SectionList`1.CreateElement(UInt16 type, UInt16 version, Stream s)

at s3piwrappers.SWB.SectionList`1.Parse(Stream stream)

at s3piwrappers.EffectResource.Parse(Stream inputStream)

at s3piwrappers.EffectResource..ctor(Int32 APIversion, Stream s)

at s3piwrappers.EffectCloner.MainForm.OpenInputEffect(String fileName)

at s3piwrappers.EffectCloner.MainForm..ctor(String[] args)

at s3piwrappers.EffectCloner.Program.Main(String[] args)
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 7:34 AM
Ok I have a serious problem I can open most _SWB files in other mods but the one in deltabild0.package S3PE crashes and I sometimes get the system.outofmemory exception. I happen to have 8 GB RAM so memory can't be the problem I mean. Why is this happening?
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 7:55 AM
I even tried with the standalone effectcloner but it just becomes unresponsive for this file,
Site Helper
#23 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 1:53 PM
"Out Of Memory" means that the memory that the program can use has been used up. If it "sometimes" gives the Out of Memory error, can you duplicate the conditions from one of the times when it did not give the error?

(I know that you're aware that "Not Responding" simply means that the program is too busy to accept any further input right now. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's stuck in a loop. Sometimes it just means that it's got a lot of data to process. And this would be one of those times.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Virtual gardener
#24 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 3:22 PM
That's not the case right here, it's the wrapper basically... well doing the famous TSRW thing. Where whenever there's too much going on, it starts throwing 'memory errors', which you should see as 'too much going on atm, I can't handle this! D:' (Aka that's what the wrapper is thinking) So in this case it's pretty much an alternative of windows 'Program is not responding' error

I do remember @jje1000 to have figured it out on how at least to get the effect cloning thing to work, or to clone an effect
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 6:55 PM
That's not the case right here, it's the wrapper basically... well doing the famous TSRW thing. Where whenever there's too much going on, it starts throwing 'memory errors', which you should see as 'too much going on atm, I can't handle this! D:' (Aka that's what the wrapper is thinking) So in this case it's pretty much an alternative of windows 'Program is not responding' error

I do remember @jje1000 to have figured it out on how at least to get the effect cloning thing to work, or to clone an effect

Do you have the link for jje1000's post? Maybe I could read it.
Does TSRW conflict with effect cloner? I'm not using them both at the same time or anything, I actually installed TSRW less than 24 hours ago. Before I installed TSRW tho, the effect cloner was able to read it. It could be completely unrelated tho, it's not like the effect cloner is not working at all, it's only the really large file that consists of all the TS3 effects in the Deltabuild0.package.
Page 1 of 2