Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2017 at 11:59 PM
TS4 Finally At The Right Price
EA is having a sale on all things Sims 4. The base game is $15.00 about what it's worth. Those who don't have it and wanted to try it, now's the time. The sale ends on the 18th.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/st.../simssummersale
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 12:27 AM
Yup grabbed Vampires with 25% off, not a great discount but the previous sales weren't available in my country.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 1:01 AM
$15 is still too much.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 1:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
Eh, it's a slippery slope...

You buy the "base" game for $15, but that's not really the cost of the game itself. You also have to consider all the core features that EA strategically snuck into different packs. Don't think you're getting a great deal for a complete game. You won't even have a white picket fence for your American dream home with just the base game.

This game will never be complete. Apart from Parenthood, Spa Day and Dine Out, I'm pretty disappointed with the base game + DLC (and The Sims 4 is not the type of game that's very enjoyable without DLC).

It's not just the money. Are you willing to wait months for pets? Are you willing to wait a year for weather? Would you like TS4 to lose its appeal once the trailer for TS5 comes out? What happens next? You give TS5 a try a few years from now, and then you end up waiting 2-3 years for cats and dogs. Maybe birds made out of cardstock. How long will you wait for it to rain again? Would you like to start over after completing your Sims 4 collection?

Does that sound like $15 to you?

tl;dr The Sims 4 was overpriced at $60 in 2014. It's still overpriced at $15 because the core features are held behind a DLC paywall.

We can agree to disagree. I think if you don't have the game and were on the fence about getting it, it's the perfect price. Don't get me wrong, I think the game sucks and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it to get it, but there do seem to be a lot of people who post here who do like it. As far as DLC goes, that's gaming in the 21st century. You can't really get around that. I'm sure those who do enjoy the game don't have every dlc that's been put out. Or maybe some of them do. Just because you and I aren't thrilled with the game, doesn't mean everyone isn't or won't be.
Theorist
#5 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 1:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
Yup grabbed Vampires with 25% off, not a great discount but the previous sales weren't available in my country.

If you actually like the concept of vampire,s I guarantee you that GP is worth every penny, even at full price... if you can keep them from changing into weird clothes all the time for no reason... that's a thing...

You won't even have a white picket fence for your American dream home with just the base game.

Okay that's it. In the spirit of freedom and the American dream, I am petitioning to have "white picket fence" officially renamed "Liberty fence."
Inventor
#6 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 2:02 AM
In my country, the game is more expensive than before. One year ago I paid 99.99 (Origin full price) for the basegame, now it's 149.90 (Origin full price) and 112.42 (Origin "sale").
All copies from retailers are "sold out" or they are more expensive than Origin (average 299.90), so in the end Origin is always the "cheaper" option to purchase TS4. This is monopoly.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
In my country, the game is more expensive than before. One year ago I paid 99.99 (Origin full price) for the basegame, now it's 149.90 (Origin full price) and 112.42 (Origin "sale").
All copies from retailers are "sold out" or they are more expensive than Origin (average 299.90), so in the end Origin is always the "cheaper" option to purchase TS4. This is monopoly.

WOW .
That's painful.
Theorist
#8 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 2:11 AM

That should be illegal.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 2:46 AM
Monopoly is SUPPOSED to be illegal last time I checked. (But try telling that to the two competing hospitals where I live that literally buy out every single medical building in the county )

But man that sucks, raising the price? Where the heck do you live that makes it okay to raise the price of games? D: I'm so sorry for you buddy.
Theorist
#10 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
Monopoly is SUPPOSED to be illegal last time I checked. (But try telling that to the two competing hospitals where I live that literally buy out every single medical building in the county )

But man that sucks, raising the price? Where the heck do you live that makes it okay to raise the price of games? D: I'm so sorry for you buddy.

At least there are two of them! :D
Forum Resident
#11 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 3:45 AM
The stuff packs are 1$ off. What a sale.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 4:00 AM
^ Exactly my thoughts. Wow we can save a whole flipping DOLLAR.
Instructor
#13 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 7:05 AM
This is monopoly.

Not really, your local store retailers just stopped having the game in stock, I am pretty sure if I wanted to buy the first Silent Hill game I would be stuck with the PS Store as well. Digital versions traditionally been cheaper since they dont have any physical media and thus have no distribution costs ( no printing, no sending then to stores, no warehouse storing costs).

Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
The stuff packs are 1$ off. What a sale.

Well yes but the main menu actually shows the percentage of the discount, stuff packs are I believe 20% off with the Fitness one being 15% off ... its not much sure but that is because they arent that expensive for a 20% discount being very visible, its just $1.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 11:02 AM
I love that EPs are 50% off. Still not worth the price. GPs are more worth it !
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 13th Jul 2017 at 1:02 PM
Sims 4 was just added to Origin access. If you already sub to that ($4.99 a month or $29.99 a year) then you can try the base game for free. You still have to buy the DLC though. I wouldn't sub to just try it out, but if you already have it then now is your chance to try it and if you decide to buy it, Origin access gives you a 10% discount on everything you buy.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 14th Jul 2017 at 4:32 AM

You buy the "base" game for $15, but that's not really the cost of the game itself. You also have to consider all the core features that EA strategically snuck into different packs. Don't think you're getting a great deal for a complete game. You won't even have a white picket fence for your American dream home with just the base game.

This game will never be complete. Apart from Parenthood, Spa Day and Dine Out, I'm pretty disappointed with the base game + DLC (and The Sims 4 is not the type of game that's very enjoyable without DLC).

It's not just the money. Are you willing to wait months for pets? Are you willing to wait a year for weather? Would you like TS4 to lose its appeal once the trailer for TS5 comes out? What happens next? You give TS5 a try a few years from now, and then you end up waiting 2-3 years for cats and dogs. Maybe birds made out of cardstock. How long will you wait for it to rain again? Would you like to start over after completing your Sims 4 collection?

tl;dr The Sims 4 was overpriced at $60 in 2014. It's still overpriced at $15 because the core features are held behind a DLC paywall.

I love Sims 4 but when I first downloaded it and played it, I was extremely disappointed with how much base game items there were. Like, come on, I was coming from Sims 3, a game that was /almost/ perfect for me with a few great mods and then I get very little items that I will actually use in Sims 4? This is the first time that I haven't been keeping up with Expansion or Stuff Packs, honestly.

Trust me, I love Sims 4 but my game is heavily modded with custom items so I can get AT LEAST some fun out of building and customizing my houses.

The game wasn't worth $60 when it came out, which is why I stuck to Sims 3 until I got offered Sims 4 for free by a friend. I was extremely disappointed with videos that I saw back when it came out and was continually disappointed with how the sims looked. The amount of DLC that Sims 4 needs to make things actually fun and somewhat nice looking is driving people like me away. If Sims 5 is as disappointing as Sims 4 has been, I'll consider getting a much better computer and sticking to Sims 3 and the little bit of Sims 4 I play now.

you and me together, we were gemini feed
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 10:00 PM

yes, I play the sims 2 never looked at sims 3 because of my attitude problem with being burned by EA years ago. Oh well whatever nevermind, out of curiosity I was looking at Sims 4 I selected the base game and expansion packs i might be interested in to make my game not look like im taking a step back from sims 2, I'm over $91 bucks. I think I might just but the base game play it and see if I like it. unless someone decides to come along and talk me out of it lol.
Theorist
#18 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DGV441982
yes, I play the sims 2 never looked at sims 3 because of my attitude problem with being burned by EA years ago. Oh well whatever nevermind, out of curiosity I was looking at Sims 4 I selected the base game and expansion packs i might be interested in to make my game not look like im taking a step back from sims 2, I'm over $91 bucks. I think I might just but the base game play it and see if I like it. unless someone decides to come along and talk me out of it lol.

If you're coming up from 2 I'd at least wait for pets and weather so there's enough to distract you from how horrifically shallow the game is. Unless you're a toddler person. Then you might be alright. The little buggers are adorable. They are my life.

A lot of the things that seem familiar from 2 are -technically- in the game, but the implementation leaves them almost unrecognisable, like apartments or running/owning a business.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 6:35 PM
I know, but there's a difference between DLC that adds layers to a complete base game and DLC that's meant to dress up an incomplete base game because it's bare. The latter is unique to the Sims franchise. I don't know any other video game that makes players wait two years for rain and charges them for it. And does it repeatedly every 4-5 years.

I don't disagree. However, people are still buying it every 4-5 years.
Test Subject
#20 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 9:38 PM
I could only afford to buy the base game at my local store for about $50 last year because I loved the sims 3. I honestly didn't realize the extent of the DLC's and had no idea that the DLCs are pretty much part of the game. It's awful. But alas, I cannot afford any DLC so I'm just building things with the base game and pretending I'm not missing out :D
Alchemist
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chemikalhorizon
I could only afford to buy the base game at my local store for about $50 last year because I loved the sims 3. I honestly didn't realize the extent of the DLC's and had no idea that the DLCs are pretty much part of the game. It's awful. But alas, I cannot afford any DLC so I'm just building things with the base game and pretending I'm not missing out :D

Pretty much what I'm doing. I got the base game for free and ended up buying GTW and GT. That's about it for me unless they somehow manage to put out a Pets or weather EP.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chemikalhorizon

This is why I love the Sims 4 community: with the help of their custom content, I actually can finish the game for EA!

No, but seriously. I never felt the need for furniture CC in Sims 3. Maybe it was the customization options, but I digress. Sims 4 can be hard to play without any DLC.

you and me together, we were gemini feed